Wednesday, August 3, 2016

IWSG: Wednesday, August 3, 2016






It's the first Wednesday 
of the month ~ 
the day when members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and offer their encouragement
and support to other members.









To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are stepping up to help IWSG founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are:
Tamara Narayan , Tonya DreckerEllen@The Cynical SailorLauren@Pensuasion, Stephen Trempand Julie Flanders.

I hope you have a chance to visit them and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate an encouraging comment!
~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Happy August to all the IWSG members making the rounds today!
I'm off again, this time visiting my family in Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia
where we have gathered from near and far for our annual get-together.


This Time I Landed!


I have to dash this down quickly while I've got an internet connection
and a brief time alone: no activity, no family ~ just relaxation!

This month's question is:  
What was your very first piece of writing as an aspiring writer?
Where is it now? Collecting dust or has it been published?

I first realized the thrill of writing in my fourth grade classroom 
at Royal Canadian Air Force Station, Greenwood, Nova Scotia.


Royal Canadian Air Force Station Greenwood
Now Canadian Forces Base Greenwood
Home of 14 Wing
Nova Scotia, Canada



Our teacher was introducing us to paragraph writing,
and we were writing a paragraph together.
Ms. Fox would go from student to student asking for the next sentence,
and she would write that sentence on the board,
building the paragraph as she wrote.

There was a  dark cave ...  and my early contribution sent
a paleontologist inside to stumble across dinosaur bones.
When Ms Fox wrote those words in chalk on the blackboard,
I had shivers all over.
I suddenly knew deep down inside that I had to write.

That sentence vanished in a smear of disappearing chalk
as my teacher erased our finished paragraph from the blackboard,
but I have never forgotten the power and thrill of that moment.

I'll be home in a few days, and I will make the rounds visiting your blogs.
Enjoy IWSG Day!


Me, Standing on the Shore of the Annapolis Basin
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 24, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a powerful memory, loved reading about it.
    Enjoy your trip and family gathering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! I am having the best time with my family. My brother and three sisters are my best buds, along with my hubby! Enjoy your IWSG Day!

      Delete
  2. Safe travels!
    Cool that one line sent you down the path of writing. And really cool you remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I get home Saturday morning. I'll get around as much as I can in this brief online window I have! That sentence revealed another passion of mine which is paleontology. Have a great IWSG Day!

      Delete
  3. A great memory indeed. Awesome when you get that wake up moment and a writing you go. Hopefully you're having a grand time back in old NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! NS is the best, Pat! I hope you are enjoying this gorgeous summer weather in NS!

      Delete
  4. That's a great story! Have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I've been having a blast! Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  5. Such a great memory, Louise! Sending you much love and many warm hugs. Enjoy your time, dear friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my awesome Linda! Time with my family is running out fast! :( But what a time it has been! I'll be back in Colorado on Saturday ~ can't wait to see Terry! Hugs and love to you!!!

      Delete
  6. What a great memory! That moment we just 'know' we want to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a powerful moment, isn't it, Morgan! Have a great IWSG Day!

      Delete
  7. I love it! Definitely a powerful moment. I think everyone needs a moment like that to keep them hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Crystal! It's moments like that that keep me moving! I hope your writing is going well!

      Delete
  8. I love the pic. Now I can honestly say I've seen the east coast. I lived in Vancouver, BC for years. Have a great time at your reunion. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such an awesome memory as a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post as usual. Always follow those moments of revelation. They could change your life for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you live life with exclamation points!!!

    That's a wonderful story about how you became a writer. I love that you had shivers when you saw your words up on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must have had a wonderful teacher who inspired you to write. Enjoy family time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great early start to writing.
    (I've always wanted to visit Nova Scotia)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your comment and news, Louise, I hope you've enjoyed Nova Scotia to the fullest!
    I miss the sea side!
    I have written a book that never got published and I don't think it will be!
    You were lucky to learn how to write from school, it is a great help!
    Keep well, dear friend, I'm off running again ... it keeps my mind off things....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures. That looks like a great place to visit. The furthest north I've gotten so far is Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful time in NS, Louise. Have a fabulous time. When we sell our house in BC we're moving to NB! I love the Maritimes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a poem published in the high school magazine when I was 10 years old, in 4th grade. What a thrill! I still remember it!
    Glad you have been having such a fun summer! Wish I could visit Nova Scotia and with YOU there! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.