Friday, August 7, 2020

Congratulations to Chrys Fey and Her New Book!


My awesome blogging buddies know I am a big fan
of the Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG).

In the spirit of giving back to the IWSG,
today I am congratulating fellow member Chrys Fey on the release of her latest book:
Keep Writing with Fey: Sparks to Defeat Writer's Block, Depression, and Burnout.

Not only is Chrys the author of great fiction and non-fiction books,
she is an editor at Dancing Lemur Press which publishes the IWSG anthologies, 
and she is a moderator for the Insecure Writer's Support Group on Goodreads.
She does so much for IWSG members, so I'm happy to cheer her on!

As I write this post, I've read about half of Chrys's book.
It arrived a couple of days ago when my husband brought in the mail.  

"Oh, look who's bought another book!"
Terry said, as he waved the Amazon package at me and shot me The Look.

Ignoring The Look, I quickly tore open the package and began reading.
I was not disappointed.

Catching the first spark, I said to Terry, This is a good book."
Three or four sparks in I added, "This is a really good book." 
Then I jumped to Spark Seventy-two and exclaimed, "I love this book!"


Writing Sparks and Creative Fire
August 8, 2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




And I do! 
By now I have carefully read about fifty-five of Chry's eighty-one sparks
and skimmed through others, and I can't wait to read the entire book thoroughly!



 Image Provided by Dancing Lemur Press




Chrys has a clear, compassionate, and sometimes funny voice,
and I felt like she was speaking directly to me.
She is someone who has slashed her way through the thorny thickets
of writer's block, depression, and burnout and come through.

As someone who has hacked through those same thickets,
it was refreshing and hopeful to read her words.  Hopeful,
because the thing about those thorny thickets is that they keep springing back.
You think you have them firmly tamped down, you turn around,
and there they are, sprouting rapidly again.
Chrys gives you effective tools to combat and control those nasty thickets.

I love the structure of the book, with its eighty-seven sparks
to inspire, motivate, and help the you.
The sparks contain excellent writing and creative exercises
that will help you improve and grow as a writer,
even if you're not dealing with writer's block, depression, or burnout.
Each spark can be read in a few minutes,
but the reader will linger on its content much longer.

In one part of her book, Chrys offers doses of Bactine
to mitigate the pain of writer's block and writer's burnout. 
For example, the first dose,  Bactine #1, soothes with its application:
"If you are afraid that you're facing writer's burnout or if you have writer's block,
or even if you're not sure...share your struggle with others." 

I'm grateful for Chrys doing exactly that.
To me, her book is like a book of daily devotions.
I can open it to any Spark at any time and read
something informative, healing, or encouraging.

When I began reading Sparks, I knew that it would have
a prominent spot on my writing references book shelf.
But I've changed my mind.  I'm keeping it on my nightstand.

I hope you read Chrys's book.  I'm betting you'll want to keep it
on your nightstand instead of your writing craft reference bookshelf!






Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




    







  
Here is information on Chrys Fey's book:




Catch the sparks you need to conquer writer’s block, depression, and burnout!

When Chrys Fey shared her story about depression and burnout, it struck a chord with other writers. That put into perspective for her how desperate writers are to hear they aren’t alone. Many creative types experience these challenges, battling to recover. Let Keep Writing with Fey: Sparks to Defeat Writer's Block, Depression, and Burnout guide you through:

•        Writer's block
•        Depression
•        Writer's burnout
•        What a writer doesn’t need to succeed
•        Finding creativity boosts

With these sparks, you can begin your journey of rediscovering your creativity and get back to what you love - writing.

Book Links

Amazon / Nook / iTunes / Kobo / Goodreads





Author's Note:  
When I shared my story about depression and writer’s burnout, I received many emails, comments, and Facebook messages from other writers thanking me for my bravery and telling me about their own trials.  That really put into perspective for me how many people suffer from depression and/or burnout in silence. I had no idea those individuals were impacted by these things, just as they hadn’t known that I was, because my outward presence to others was always happy and smiley and bright. After the supportive response and upon realizing how many writers in my online circles were struggling, too, I wanted to do something to help. I was candid with my experiences and blogged about the things that assisted me through the rough times in the hope that it would aid others. 

During this time, I recognized the need for writers to receive support, guidance, tips, reminders, and encouragement during their writer’s block, depression, and burnout. That’s how I got the idea for this book. A book not just about depression or only about writer’s block, but both, and much more. Since you have picked up this book, that means you may need assistance with one or all of these areas, and I sincerely hope you find what you need here...that tiny spark to get you through whatever you are going through.

As always, keep writing.

Keep believing.

Keep dreaming.

Chrys Fey


Chrys Fey is the author of Write with Fey:  10 Sparks to Guide You from Idea to Publication and the Disaster Crimes  series. She is an editor for Dancing Lemur Press. She started her blog, Write with Fey, to offer aspiring writers inspiration, advice, and hope. Visit her blog for more tips on how to reverse writer's burnout. At the age of twelve, she started writing her first novel, and since then she has been a dedicated citizen in the writing world.


Reviews:
“Gracious, there are so many tips and lessons in this book that I dare anyone to pick it up and not be writing furiously by the last chapter.” - C. Hope Clark, author and founder of FundsforWriters.com

“Her no-nonsense approach feels like advice from a good friend, doled out in easily digestible bite-sized pieces.” – Janice Hardy, author and founder of Fiction University

“This is one book every writer should have in their arsenal.” - Best-selling cozy mystery writer Elizabeth Spann Craig 


Where to Order Chrys Fey's Book:
Keep Writing with Fey:  Sparks to Defeat Writer's Block Depression and Burnout

Released – July 14, 2020
$17.95, 6x9 trade paperback, 256 pages
Print ISBN 9781939844729 / EBook ISBN 9781939844736
Writing / Self-Help: Depression – Stress Management


Amazon -

Barnes & Noble -

iTunes -

Kobo -

Goodreads -


25 comments:

  1. I've got my copy downloaded! Chrys has done a lot for the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly has, Alex! Her personal journey is inspiring! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for featuring Chrys' book. I hope you get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Diane! I'm already getting a lot out of it. Take care!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book! I love her clever analogies of Sparks and Bactine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debra! I loved those analogies too! Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry I'm late!

    Thank you so, so much for your post here. Your intro made me smile from ear to ear, and everything you said about Keep Writing brought me so much happiness, because that is/was my goal. Thank you for being so awesome in sharing my book and your thoughts in two places. I really appreciate your support. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Chrys! I appreciate that you were able to stop by whatever the time. I love your book. I hope you have some time this weekend for relaxation! All the best to you!

      Delete
  5. This book covers many issues I have come up with since the passing of my son and this pandemic. Congrats to Chrys on a remarkable write.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday, Yvonne! Perhaps I should say, I hope you had a great Saturday, because in England it's around suppertime. Chrys's book certainly came out at an opportune time! Stay safe and healthy, my friend. Sending a big hug to you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Yvonne! I am sending you healing hugs and light.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of creative sparks .. almost like a car with a flat battery, sometimes your creativity needs to be attached to some jump leads to get them sparked into life... looks like this book will do just thank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great analogy, Jay! Thanks for visiting. Happy safe traveling to you!

      Delete
    2. I love that analogy. Thank you for commenting, Jay. :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats to Chrys. She always has thorough tips and tricks indeed. Great that it is so good you just want to take it all in, even if you were given the look when it arrived lol maybe he needs a new look since that one doesn't seem to stop you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty hard to stop, Pat! LOL Now that my range has shrunken to our home, with a few forays out for supplies, I escape through books! I hope that you have a fun day, my friend. Take care!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alex! I do my best. I share what I wish others would've shared with me. :)

      Delete
  8. You need to have an office to have your books delivered ;)

    I am about 2/3 through one of her disaster books--I'll have to check this out to see her teaching style.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ~ I'm going through the painful process of trimming down my collection of books. More are coming in than going out. I think it's cool that you are reading a book by one of the IWSG members, Jeff! Take care, my friend!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for reading my Disaster Crimes series, Jeff! I hope you've been enjoying it so far. :)

      Delete
  9. Well, now my curiosity has been sparked with this post. I'll have to head to Amazon and check out this book. I haven't gotten any looks from my hubby lately about my Amazon deliveries, so it's time to change that, I think LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hope all is going well in your home, Theresa. It's such a strange, strange time. Thanks goodness for books. Have a happy and safe weekend!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Theresa! Thank you for your interest in my book. I hope it sparks even more for you. <3

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.