Wednesday, September 1, 2021

IWSG: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 ~ Defining Success as a Writer

 




It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Rebecca Douglass, T. Powell Coltrin @Journaling WomanNatalie AguirreKaren Lynn,  and C. Lee McKenzie.

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is: 
How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy September, Everyone!
I hope this month finds you happy and inspired!

I haven't felt very successful as a writer this year,
even with my generous definition of writing success.
The last twelve plus months have been challenging for Terry and me.
Every time I think I'm getting back on track with writing, life, something derails me.
But, as a perpetual optimist, I think things are improving,
and what matters most is today marks 144 days since Terry's heart
stopped in the catheterization lab and he was paddled back to life.

Better Days Are Here, I Hope!
Terry and I at East 8, Circa
Las Vegas, Nevada,USA
August 13, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


My ultimate definition of writing success is publishing my memoir.
I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing I'm writing a memoir and is wondering where it is.
It exists, but I am certainly struggling with it.

I didn't enter the IWSG Anthology contest this year.
I couldn't handle sweet romance with Terry recovering from his heart attack.
I could barely deal with my blog, which floundered too.
But, I'm moving forward with writing.

I have never defined writing success
as making a certain amount of income from my writing.
I have defined it throughout my life as doing the best writing I could,
piece by piece, whatever the purpose or genre.

I have always written for me,
and as long as I'm writing something that satisfies me, I feel successful.
That's why I haven't felt very successful this year.
I haven't been able to write like I want to, neither in quantity or quality.

I am someone who has always craved security.
I was incapable of quitting my day job to write,
so I never considered supporting myself by writing.
Before I could even think about writing,
I had to have a job and know I could support myself.
Knowing I could stand on my own two feet was my definition of success, period.

Oil Patch Days
Driller Jack Taylor and I, DNB Rig
Hodgeman County, Kansas, USA
February 1981
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


My careers as a petroleum geologist and a teacher were demanding,
and I always gave 110%.
But throughout it all, I wrote, and I felt good about what I wrote.  
I considered myself a writer.

Writing for me included a thesis, papers on a wide range of topics,
scientific reports, newspaper articles, speeches, grants, journals,
short stories, plays, and some pitiful attempts at writing poems and novels.
My biggest writing thrills were seeing my plays produced at school
and seeing my short story "Ugly Little Bastards" published in The Antigonish Review.

MacBeath, Louise. "Ugly Little Bastards." The Antigonish Review, edited by George Sanderson, 48th ed., St Francis Xavier University, 1982, pp. 75-81


After retiring, I decided that I was going to write exactly and only what I wanted to write.
For better or worse, I stumbled into blogging and have 655 published posts.
I've added blogging to my list of writing genres, and I am proud of my blog and its content.

But that's nothing compared with how proud I was when I was chosen
to be included in the 2020 IWSG anthology, Voyagers:  The Third Ghost.

"My" Anthology Arrives
Aurora, Colorado, USA
April 24, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



I feel immense satisfaction and happiness
when I hold The Antigonish Review and Voyagers,
but deep down inside I know I won't feel true success until I publish my memoir.

Writing a memoir is not easy.
It has been painful, traumatic, for me to confront my past,
and noxious bubbles are still surfacing in my muskeg.
But I have to do it, somehow capture it in the right words.
I have thousands and thousands and thousands of words.
Turning them into a cohesive, meaningful whole is my challenge.
I will get there! 

Meanwhile Terry and I have a 37th wedding anniversary to celebrate today!

Mr. and Mrs. Terry Barbour Leaving the Church
Parker, Colorado, USA
September 1, 1984
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I hope each of you has fun visiting around today.
I know I'm looking forward to reading your posts!
Happy writing to each of you in September!





Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com 





My next post will be on Friday, September 10th.



54 comments:

  1. I think the key to success is writing about what you really want to, and being happy with the results. then it's a part of you! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very, very Happy Wedding Anniversary to the two of you - a day which you probably feared you would not be able to celebrate.
    Success is a truly loaded word isn't it? I do hope that you find the time/energy/inspiration to complete your memoir (one of my favourite reading genres).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC! It is especially meaningful to celebrate today! My brain was frozen the time by the shock of Terry's unexpected heart attack. I couldn't think beyond the next minute, the next minute, the next minute. I enjoy reading memoirs too! Take care!

      Delete
  3. You are successful. Being chosen in for the anthology contest is a great honor and is success.

    As always, I love your photos.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! "Voyagers" remains a thrill and a honor, now and always. It always makes my day when someone enjoys my photos. Have fun today!

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary Louise, and many more to come.
    I can relate not to have success as a writer of late as when I lost my son back in 2018 things have changed much. I did start a new book to celebrate his life but the pandemic has caused havoc.
    Enjoyed reading your post as always.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! Here's to both of us finishing our books! I would love to read the celebration of your sons life. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your anniversary today! So glad that Terry is feeling better. Don't be so hard on yourself and expect that you have the time or energy to write a lot when you're worried about Terry's health and taking care of him. If you wrote at all and blogged at all, which you did, you were successful. There were many busy times when my husband was ill when he was alive that I couldn't write at all. I don't regret at all spending my energy on my family, because that is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Family is the most important thing of all. Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. "But that's nothing compared with how proud I was when I was chosen
    to be included in the 2020 IWSG anthology, Voyagers: The Third Ghost."

    CONGRATULATIONS! 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi! It was a thrill! Have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary! If you've been focused on Terry rather than writing, that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. The support and understanding by you and others means a tremendous amount to me. Have a great IWSG Day!

      Delete
  8. Happy 37th Wedding Anniversary to you and Terry. Wishing you both a long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachna! It's hard to realize it has been 37 years! where did the time go. All my best to you!

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary, you two lovebirds! Great photo of you and Terry at the top of today's post -- both looking great! I enjoyed reading your story in the Anthology and I know that some day I'll enjoying reading your published memoirs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! You're the best. Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. He77's Bells you've covered a lot of writing ground/styles. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have, Helen! I've been writing all of my life, starting with a speech and a pitiful scuba diving novel when I was ten and in fifth grade. Thanks for the anniversary wishes! Take care!

      Delete
  11. Happy 37th Anniversary! Looking forward to your memoir. I enjoy reading your blog and would love more insight into your careers and life. Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adrienne! You certainly lifted my spirits! Happy IWSG Day to you!

      Delete
  12. Me too, about craving security. I want to know where the gal-darn money is coming from to pay for my house and car. That feels like success, when the worry lessens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worrying about money is no fun. I can't handle that! There was way too much insecurity in my first three decades. I just finished reading "Fossil Men" by Kermit Pattison last night. All the way through it I was thinking of you and your wonderful prehistoric characters. What an amazing journey humanity has been on. I hope that you have fun visiting around today. Happy writing in September, Jacqui!

      Delete
  13. Happy anniversary! I certainly empathize with your reason for not entering the anthology contest this year. I couldn't even begin...

    Success as meeting your own goals... that sounds about right, even if sometimes that set the bar high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca! I admire you greatly as a person and a writer. You've come through an unbelievable time and are writing, writing. You are an inspiration. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  14. Happy Anniversary! Success markers change, as do priorities and expectations. Always remember what's important. Congrats on 144 days and counting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CD! Family is the most important! Have a fun IWSG Day!

      Delete
  15. You got married one week ahead of me. I lost my husband in 2020 but can't stop counting anniversaries. You have had a lot on your plate this year. You will get back to your memoir when the time is right for you. Here's to continuing health improvement for your husband and best wishes with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and understanding comment, Liza! I can only imagine what you have been through. Take care!

      Delete
  16. Congrats on your anniversary! Hubs and I celebrated 44 years before he died this past December. Writing took a backseat while I cared for him the last couple of years of his life. I don't consider that a failure or lack of success in any way. Everything has a season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I'm sorry for the recent loss of your Hubs. I can't imagine how difficult that is. Here's to getting back to a writing season for both of us! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  17. You are amazing girl! You really are! Love all the photos! You and Terry look great! Happy anniversary!! Write when you can. It's in your soul and will never leave you! Big Hugs! (Terry looks so well! I am so happy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy! We went out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary just after I read your comments! Terry has come a long way, and I am so grateful for that. As for me, I can't croak yet because I have too much writing to do ~ LOL! I hope that you are having a great day, my friend! Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.
    I always considered memoir writers the most courageous people. To open yourself to everyone's scrutiny - not sure I have the guts for it. Writing spec fic is so much easier. Best of luck with your memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga! Yes, opening myself to scrutiny is the hardest part of writing a memoir. But I think I have an important story to tell, so I'm keeping at it. Happy writing to you in September! Take care!

      Delete
  19. I do believe you'll get there and achieve your dream of publishing that memoir. Sometimes these things take time to sort out. And life has a way of intruding. When that happens, it's always best to just deal with it and not stress too much if writing needs to take a backseat for a little while.

    Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind and understanding words, Lynda! I will get there! Take care!

      Delete
  20. Life can sure get in the way indeed, but such things have to come first. You'll get there. I still have a bunch to put out sitting in the wings in various stages, get there I get there, don't I don't. As if I croak before I won't care because I'll be dead lol what?

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! And I do hope you write some more books! Meanwhile I still have published books of yours to tide me over. I know the remnants of Hurricane Ida are hitting Nova Scotia right now, so I hope you and your loved ones get through the rain okay. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
    2. haha yeah, still a bunch there. Cat time fraction machine and all. Wasn't much. I was out in woodtick land all day with it and barely rained.

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear Ida wasn't much of a deal! "A Not so Perfect World" is next!

      Delete
  21. Louise, the most important words in your post today are: "perpetual optimist." I try to be one, also. It's not easy. I am so glad your husband is doing well. I'll include you guys in my daily prayers. Love the photos!

    Bravo on all you've accomplished in life. Positive thinking, as you say, will carry you through. All best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Victoria, and thanks for your prayers. Optimism, positive thinking, and a lot of, "Next step, next step," has gotten me this far. Have a happy and fulfilling September! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  22. Happy Anniversary, and I'm so glad Terry is doing well. That's a lot of blogging! Wow! Best of luck with your memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! I do enjoy blogging! Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  23. Happy anniversary and best wishes for a continued and speedy recovery for Terry. Thanks for popping by my blog, too! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  24. A heartfelt HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and Terry dear Louise !

    i think you are very special human being a truly unique who wants to fulfil all obligations belong to her so nicely and perfectly . I have learnt from life that if you are a Fine human being you can play you all rolls in life beautifully!
    i can see how successful you are in all areas of your life .your family photos filled with precious happy faces show how nicely you have kept everything on it's place .your deep love for Terry saved his life ,is this less success than nailing flag on Everest ?

    when you visit to blog friends your comments are engaging and insightful even for blogger like me who knows so little about blogging and writing .connecting with you strengthen your friends ,is this a less success :)

    i loved your answer because i my answer would have the same .for me either success as a writer is what makes me happy when i read it later as if it someone else's writing and still find some meaning in it or it intrigue me .
    i don't have such marvelous command on words and way to express them so i cannot count myself a writer though i know i have something in my genes which made me wrote poetry at age of eight or less than it .
    my heartfelt best wishes for you memoir and i think when it will be publish it will surly touch heart of the readers and you will stay in so many memories as an amazing writer i am absolutely sure of this!
    health ,happiness and peace to you ,Terry and all you love! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baili,
      Thank you for your uplifting comment! Reading it is a wonderful way to perk up a Friday morning. Having Terry alive and healthy and with me now is the most important and most precious thing in the world. Thank you, too, for your encouraging words about my memoir. I will get it written because I must. For someone for whom English is a second language, you are writing amazingly well. And our languages are so different! I love the fresh and original way you express things, especially in your poetry. Sending you, Ali, and boys my best wishes, and to you, hugs and love! Take care!

      Delete
  25. Love the photos to accompany your blog, but especially delighted to see that wonderful photo of you and your hubby. Happy Anniversary!! You guys look cute. Good news he is recovering well. My memoir was released in January--7 months after the scheduled release. Yes, COVID got in the way. I was so scatter-brained trying to write. Memoir writing is so different from all other writing (and you have done a LOT of other writing, girl.) The stories tear out your heart and then you have to put it back together and start on the next chapter. You WILL get there. Never fear because the story has to be told. Your mind will not stop niggling at you to get that story out until it's done. Please feel free to contact me if you need some encouragement or have questions. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JQ! You are so kind to offer me encouragement and help. I loved your memoir "Arranging a Dream," which I read not long after it was published. You are so right: "The story has to be told." Yes, I keep lacerating my heart and putting it back together. Also, I feel stripped naked before the world. But the story keeps pushing at me, so there will no peace until it is done. Have a wonderful weekend! Sending you hugs too!

      Delete
  26. I'm so glad Terry is doing well. Now that's success. Everything else is just gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gwen! Have a happy and successful September! Take care!

      Delete
  27. I am so sorry to hear about your struggles this year. I’m glad Terry is doing better and prayer for his continued recovery. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.