Pages

Friday, July 10, 2026

Computer Hell, and a Few Happy Things!

First of all, I apologize to everyone whose comments I haven't responded to
and whose posts I haven't visited back yet.
I've spent this week in computer hell.
It started with a printer that wouldn't print, and I plummeted from there.
Right now I'm stuck in Circle 5 of Dante's Inferno:  Wrath and Sullenness ~
floundering around in the muddy waters of the Styx.  πŸ˜‚

Stradanus, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

This too will pass. 
Meanwhile I'm on to happier things, starting with gratitude.

I have no idea where I found this ~
Possibly at my friend Linda's Blog

It's true.  I am a fortunate person, especially this morning
when the Middle East is plunging into further chaos. 
There is too much suffering on our ailing planet.

When I'm not on the phone with a technical person, I've continued to unpack and declutter.
It's easier than trying to figure out how the hell to write a book.
I'm paralyzed with despair, feeling overwhelmed,
but I'm going to stare at the damn manuscript on my computer
for a minimum of an hour every day and move forward somehow.
Floundering around in the River Styx again.  πŸ˜‚

Here are a few treasures I've unearthed this week:

1.  My First Happy Find!  Is this precious or what? 

Sara with Dipsy (green) and Laa-Laa (yellow)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Christmas Day 1998
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved  

My adorable niece Sara is clutching her Teletubbies, Dipsy and Laa-Laa,
after a major crisis.  
It was Christmas 1998, and our extended family had gathered
at my sister Donnie and BIL Martin's home for Christmas dinner.
In the chaos Dipsy disappeared, and there was no peace until Dipsy was found.
Sara was distraught, inconsolable.
Some forgotten hero ferreted Dipsy out from under
a pile of gifts beneath Donnie and Martin's sparkling Christmas tree.
Crisis resolved!

Donnie and Martin's Tree Many Years Later
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Christmas Day 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved  

Sara is the only other person in my family that I know of who has wished for a magic wand.
She was about the same age as in her Teletubbies photo, five,
when she asked her dad to make her a magic wand.
And Peter, who would do anything for his girls Sara and Natalie,
crafted Sara a lovely wand and gave it to her.
She raced upstairs and stomped downstairs again almost immediately.
Sara threw the wand on the floor in front of Peter storming, "It doesn't work!"

She had waved the magic wand over a box in her bedroom,
expecting a computer to appear.
Welcome to reality! πŸ˜‚

But in a way that magic wand did work, because Peter who is a gifted techie,
soon presented Sara with her own computer.

Peter and Sara
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 28, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 
 
Now Sara is a fierce advocate for the rights of Indigenous people in Canada,
and she recently emerged from the devastating suicide of one of her Indigenous girls
to pursue a Masters in sociology.

In her first course she did a case study of our extended family
and received a detailed survey back from most of us
containing at least four generations of stories and secrets
followed up by extensive phone calls. 
She knows everything, including what we all think about everyone else.  πŸ˜±
She is one amazing, determined gal, and I can't wait to see what she does next!

Sara and Her FiancΓ© Justen
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 28, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 
 

2.  My second happy find!

My American Flag
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 8, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 

And this really is my American flag.
It was presented to me during my citizenship ceremony
when I became a US citizen on January 22, 1999.
Despite our current turmoil, I love my adopted country, and I am a proud American.
I thought I had lost my flag forever, and here it is!

The Stars and Strips Flying for Our 250th Independence Day
On an E470 Overpass Construction Site Near Our Home.
There are lots of big machines and hardhats in my future. πŸ˜‚
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 5, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 


3.  My third happy find!

An Entry in My Journal on Monday, April 12, 2021
"He is so very, very lucky to be alive."
July 8, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, Terry came home from playing pickleball feeling a little odd.
We decided to go the then Parker Adventist Hospital just to be safe. 
I quickly drove the five miles to the emergency room,
and the staff raced Terry up to the Cath Lab.
He was having a widow-maker heart attack.

The skilled and compassionate Dr. Lee MacDonald
literally paddled Terry back to life with a defibrillator.
If Terry had been anywhere else, he would have died.

Dr. Lee MacDonald

One of my best friends Gary was once a firefighter,
second in command in the Aurora Fire Department.
He handled emergency and triage services for Pope John Paul II's visit to Aurora in 1993.

Gary royally chewed me out for driving Terry to the hospital and not calling 911.
"Our trucks carry equipment that can save your life!
Our firefighters can save your life!
Even if you think it's not life threatening, call 911!"

Point taken!
Everyone, call 911.  Don't chance it, like we did.
Terry is very, very lucky to be alive.

Cheri, Gary, and Terry at Thanksgiving Dinner
Magianno's Little Italy
Inverness, Colorado, USA
November 28, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 

And here's a shout out to our nephew Conor, who is a volunteer firefighter and EMT
with the Cascade Volunteer Fire Department in Cascade, Colorado.

Conor and I
Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, Monkeypod Kitchen
Waikiki, H USA
July 8, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue All Rights Reserved 






Here's a rousing heavy metal song I also discovered this week.
It honors our first responders who save lives every day,
"Blue on Black" by Five Finger Death Punch.


I've been working on this post yesterday and today,
between online sessions with my amazingly patient Canon tech Jayden.  
A solution to my memoir impasse occurred to me this afternoon.
I've been studying Reading Lolita in Tehran:  A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafasi.
It is a memoir filled with many quotations and references without much documentation.

I've been trying to back up everything I'm writing with historical documentation.
The documentation and footnotes have been making me crazy.
Suddenly I'm realizing that I don't have to do that.
I can just write it without that crap duress.  If Azar did so, why not me?
I have a way forward!

What a week!
I hope yours has been easier!
Even when life seems dark, there is always a way forward with gratitude and hope.


Note:  Never call a firefighter a fireman! πŸ˜‚

May you have a great weekend filled with relaxation and laughs!
 


 Till next time ~
 Fundy Blue
 
Standing Into Danger                                    https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com
 Copyright ©2026 – All rights reserved.

My next post will be IWSG Day
Friday, July 17th. 🀞 

On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



       

38 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post, Louise, thanks! Glad that inspiration from Azar Nafasi has shown you a way forward with your memoir! My regular blogging resumes on July 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I'm looking forward to your return on the 15th. "Comment avance ton franΓ§ais ?" "Ke aΚ»o nei au i ka ʻōlelo HawaiΚ»i." (I am learning the Hawaiian language.) πŸ˜‚. Enjoy your weekend! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete
  2. ...like most things in life, when they work well, life great and not so great when they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, is that true! πŸ˜‚. Enjoy your weekend, Tom!

      Delete
  3. The beginning of this post, I thought, "OMG! Louis is having a really bad day." OK so you were but that fact that you stood up and consciously found happy things to take over. I love this about you. I know you are not one to wallow and I know with out a doubt you have your book finished in no time. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Nicole! Have the best weekend!

      Delete
  4. What? You just writing without all of that? You going to force yourself to stick to that? Lol

    Darn, it didn't realize it was that long since you drove Terry to the hospital. Remember you got scolded too.

    True, we have to take a moment to be grateful, especially with how rough many have it in this world.

    Sooo...I shouldn't hold out hope for an actual working magic wand? Lol darn it. Time to go back to hunting bigfoot I guess hahaha I just found out after 40 years that people really believe it lives about 20 mins or so from here. The Bas**** Beast they call it. Who knew?

    Oh and fyi...i beat you to The Cove. Other Pat didn't have to set the church on fire either. I remembered where it was. Interrupted poor Josie and her mama's nap too. Bad me lol



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Barb texted me and said you popped in. Lucky you! I don't poke a sleeping bear! πŸ˜‚ If anyone can find the Bastard Beast, it's you. Another book there? Say hi to the boys for me. Back to my computer battles. πŸ˜‚. All the best to you, my friend!

      Delete
  5. I like your happy finds-especially the cute picture of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! Kiddos always melt my heart. Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  6. my dear friend Louise
    i am really sorry for your computer isn't working in time when you are progressing your story slowly !
    i can only imagine myself on your place and stress feels totally understandable and so normal my friend!
    you inspire me with your amazing spirit and uplifting soul my friend! you shared your pain but suddenly you pull us out of darkness and put before us so many blessing you have been blessed with among which Terry 's recovery on time is most important than anything else!!!
    it's life and it is sooo easy to fell in depression because of small and big incidents happening in our day to day lives .but rising is for those who don't like to give up because they aren't made to do so ,they are made to fight back and move forward .Gratitude is rope that if we don't loose it reminds us to count our blessings ,the filled part of glass we have already ,it gives us hope that attracts positivity in our life once again and makes miracle happen !
    this miracle will happen for sure and you will complete your book by the grace of God!
    i am so happy that your online tech help came up with solution and things will get better asap!
    i loved reading everything you shared ,salute to your brave and amazing nephew who volunteered for firefighting ! you have such a beautiful family full of insight and wisdom ,nurtured with love and respect ! this light generating from you and your family is surly making world a nicer place !!!
    sending you love and heartfelt prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always lift me up, my sister-friend! I don't think I could live without gratitude and hope. Yes, Terry's recovery is more important than anything else!!! He is everything to me. I can't believe how close I came to losing him. I'm very proud of our nephew Conor. He is an engineer who travels the world doing government work, but he says the most important thing he does is his volunteer firefighting and EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) work. He is a very special young man. Sending you, Ali, and sons much love and many blessings. Stay cool! I keep thinking of how Ahsan rented that cooler apartment for you in Islamabad for a couple of months. What a great kiddo ~ You raised him well. I am having such fun watching all your sons growing up into wonderful young men. ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  7. Louise, it is wonderful that you always see the bright side and don't stay long with the not so nice stuff. I hope your computer problems will get solved, you get further with your memoir - I loved the hint to "Reading Lolita in Tehran" - it's been many years since I read that book. That Winnie-the-Pooh image says it all what is important; yes, we are indeed lucky and can be grateful every single day, especially when we realize how bad it is for others. Your niece Sara sounds like an amazing woman. And by the way, I, too, still have the American flag that I got during our citizenship ceremony back in 2015. I'm so glad to have Obama's signature on my naturalization certificate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Carola! Our book club chose "Reading Lolita..." for our get-together next week. I'm really enjoying it, but I find it a slow read ~ It's jam-packed with so much information. I'm forever googling things as I read. It's chilling when I think about what women have endured in the Islamic revolution and what they are still enduring. I have Clinton's signature on my naturalization certificate, which makes me happy. Sara is amazing, but then I'm a proud aunt, a little biased! I think all my nieces and nephews are amazing people. πŸ˜‚ Have a lovely, lovely weekend! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete
  8. Ive called 911 for my son once for croup but would really do anything other than that. Unless I know it's strictly fire guys they're free with EMS guys will charge you a fortune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Adam! Hopefully your son's croup days are behind him. I know ambulances are very expensive. Firefighters are my heroes for sure!!! I hope you've had a good week. I know you've all been sweltering on the East Coast. wishing you a wonderful weekend with your family. I'm so happy for you!

      Delete
  9. Your Terry is very lucky to be alive! Wow. And I love your American flag given to you upon your citizenship. Guess what, of all things....I am going to do a post about my own "magic wand"...no kidding! Look out for it! Hang in there, computer problems are stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! I can't wait to see your magic wand post. πŸ˜‚. How funny! Wishing you and Richard a happy and safe weekend! πŸ€—❤️

      Delete
  10. It is a gift to find those "happy finds" in the midst of chaos. I love all the stories you shared too, as I can see love, hope, and joy in all of them. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shalom, Arnoldo! I'm glad that you can see the love, hope, and joy in my stories. Take care!

      Delete
  11. I think despite your computer issues, you had a great week. Finding things that changed your life is like finding some golden nuggets, only better because they are all yours. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! You are very insightful. It many ways it has been a really good week! All the best to you! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete
  12. Dear Louise, I am so sorry for the computer issues you have been experiencing, my cherished friend.
    Bless your heart ❤️ and I am so glad you have found some good things among the difficulty.
    I love your photos and little gems.
    You are an inspiration.
    Thank you so much for sharing and for being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday, Linda. I'm waiting for a call from a computer tech right now. πŸ˜‚. I'm glad that you enjoyed my good things. Have a wonderful weekend. Much love to you! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete
  13. Dear Louise, the photo of Sara is indeed precious. What a treasure. I hope you have a lovely weekend, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo, Linda! I love Sara dearly, as I do all my wonderful nieces and nephews. All the best to you. πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

      Delete
  14. Even the hardest weeks can yield unexpected treasures and a renewed sense of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Roentare! I have emerged renewed for sure. I hope all is going well for you. If I ever make it back to Australia, I hope I can meet you in person. Happy rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  15. The magic wand sure made me giggle, but it all turned out well after all!
    I see a heart attack coming when Ingo goes back to work... No one did his work.
    To firefighters (though I am very happy Ingo is too old now!!!). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday, Iris! I laugh every time of think of Sara and her magic wand. She has been a force to be reckoned with since she was very little. I sympathize with Ingo ~ Nobody ever did my work when I was gone either. Wishing him strength, patience, and no heart attack! All the best to you! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete
  16. Thank God for happy finds
    Luv your turnaround
    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillena! Much love to you! ❤️πŸ€—❤️

      Delete
  17. I can empathize with your printer problems. Not the same as yours, though. My brand new black toner leaves lines on everything. The colors are fine. Not the black, though. I hope you get yours fixed soon.

    Your niece Sara is amazing. What a remarkable life she is leading.

    Your husband was very lucky to be alive today. And it is wonderful you found your flag. Happy FFO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth! I hope you are having a good Saturday! A new printer is on the horizon, delivered and installed by Canon. 🀞🀞🀞 I've had that black toner issue in the past, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Maybe a new toner cartridge. Sara is my heroine. She's studied in France and Cuba for a year in each place. She speaks French and Spanish fluently. She can do anything, even handle all kinds of electrical tools. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  18. Everything about this post is glorious. Don't you love "finding" things with such meaning? You found some gems. (The lighting in that Christmas tree/presents photo is fantastic.) /sara sounds amazing! Maybe she did get her magic wand. I'm guessing you were Canadian before? Am I right in remembering Nova Scotia? And then there's Terry. Your journal entry -- the whole of the event. I'm grateful he is alive too. Golly, sometimes when the computer breaks down, you find good things from the time gained. And now it's back! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie! Yes, I was Canadian before, born in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. I am grateful for very day that Terry is alive, even though there are moments when I could strangle him. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Like the other day when he looked down at the dinner I had made and said, "I wish you'd cook some Asian vegetables. When was the last time you bought bok choy?" What??? Oh well, when you've lived with someone for over 40 years, there are bound to be "moments." πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Happy weekend to you and Rick! ❤️

      Delete
  19. Happy July! I am truly moved by your post. The gratitude and love is all around and I really appreciate and enjoy how real your writing is. Very beautiful. I really love your photos and the real stories your write. Very precious. have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maria! It's lovely to see you! Thank you for your kind comment. Enjoy your weekend! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.