Wednesday, December 5, 2018

IWSG: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 ~ A Writer's Survival Kit






It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG founder Alex Cavanaugh are:
J. H. Moncrieff,  Tonja Drecker,  Patsy Collins, and Chrys Fey.  

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG that members can answer with advice, insight,
a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is:

What are five objects we'd find in your writing space?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy IWSG Day, Everyone!
I hope each of you is enjoying the holiday season wherever it finds you!

Terry and I have arrived in Surprise, Arizona,
and my brother Roy and sister-in-law Sue flew in last night.
We are anticipating a fun-filled and active week
of hiking, swimming, and pickleball,
with lots of cards and games and conversation.

Needless to say, I am already wrecked from Late Night #1.



My Current Writing Space
Surprise, Arizona, USA
December 5, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



December's IWSG question, What are five objects we'd find in your writing space?,
depends on where I am.
I wish I could list all these wonderful objects and talismans
that inspire me to great heights and productivity in writing,
but mostly I operate at survival level.
Certain pedestrian objects are always with me, 
so I can work in any place and at any time.

This has been a year of traveling for me, and I write on any surface I can;
but, guaranteed, there will be a cup of coffee not far from my right hand.

When traveling, even on a one-night trip with a small bag,
I always take a power strip and an extension cord.
That way I can be sure of enough plug-ins to power
my computer, iPhone, and other technology.
Access to the internet ~ that's sometimes impossible to bring about,
but I am prepared.  

Next, I always travel with a folder of reference materials,
because I am working on a memoir; and, because I am an optimist,
I always have more notes and materials than I can get to.



My Folder of Reference Materials
Surprise, Arizona, USA
December 5, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Fourth, I have a wireless mouse right now, 
because my mouse pad on my computer no longer works.
I don't think Santa is going to bring me a new computer
to replace my poor, banged up, memory-challenged Mac,
but maybe in the spring ... .

And last, I have a pair of red magnifying glasses,
because, unfortunately, my eyes are getting older every day.


The Unvarnished Truth
Coffee, Wireless Mouse, Magnifying Glasses,
and a Teacher's Bad Habit ~
Eating While Working
Surprise, Arizona, USA
December 5, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



So there you have it:  my writing survival kit,
my traveling office.
I have no excuses for not writing.

Oh yes, it's always nice to have a carrot dangling in front of me.
My writing reward today is a glass of wine, a piece of dark chocolate,
and a swim in a lovely, warm pool.

Happy Holidays and happy writing this December!

I'll be making my IWSG rounds in the late evening today.
Have fun, Everyone! 



Pure Bliss
A Swimming Pool at Sun City Grand
Surprise, Arizona, USA
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





24 comments:

  1. My five always-with-me items in my writing space are existential... I like that yours are portable, electronic-based (even the rockin' red glasses), and anchored by pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PJ! I shall now think of my glasses not as magnifying glasses, but rockin' red glasses, and that makes me smile!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, Louise! And what a good idea to always bring a power bar on trips. I hadn't thought of that. Enjoy yourself in Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! We are having a blast, especially now that my brother and sister-in-law have arrived. My power strip always goes into my carry on bag. All the best to you!

      Delete
  3. In other words, you are roughing it in paradise right now. I see how you are...
    Enjoy your week with family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ~ You've got that right, Alex! Roughing it in paradise is spot on.

      Delete
  4. HEY! We get to see a work in progress. :-)

    Also, the blueberries look delicious!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueberries were as delicious as they looked, Sandi! I hope that you are having a great week!

      Delete
  5. With all the traveling I bet the stories are overflowing. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun!!!

    A wireless mouse sounds a little too risky for me. What if he/she decides to run their own wireless life?

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your wonderful travels, I used to travel alot but of late not so.
    Loved the pics and post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Louise. So glad you arrived safely at your destination, and are enjoying family time. Sounds like you have the essentials - coffee and snacks! Ha. My typing space is in my lounge as I live alone (besides Sadie), so have a lot of manoeuvrability! I have my computer, printer, dictionary and pages of notes at hand and that's it. My computer is five years old. The picture of the pool you can swim in looks great - have fun! I love to play games, I like the game 'Risk', which is a battle game of dice. Enjoy your time with your family. Blessings. Love love, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The power strip and cords are a great idea. My reading glasses are always around me somewhere (I have many because I know I'll misplace them constantly). Enjoy Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure got the practical and needed down at your feed indeed. A year of traveling though? Umm hasn't that been the last decade? lol Write away and enjoy the fun-filled week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful time there and I hope all of the surprises are good. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you're flexible. No excuses not to write. LOL Enjoy the warmth of AZ. Wish I was there instead of here in gray Michigan. Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy December, Louise. 5 objects I find around my writing space are wine glass, hearing aids, reading glasses, journal, watercolor paint set. I might also include a clock that says I should have hit the sack an hour ago, but I won't. Just wanted to comment on how much I appreciate you. G'night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Surprise AZ sounds like a perfect place to write! Blessings.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I pack up to go, I feel I should hire a camel. I've never hauled a power strip, however. Now you have me wondering. Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You also have a nice bowl of cereal with blueberries and bananas! LOL! The pool looks gorgeous! You always travel, being prepared to write and that is excellent! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh a wireless mouse...Alex has one, I'd love to have a wireless "digital pen" for art work!!! Hope you're enjoying your December Louise!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. i envy you for having so much fun dear Louise!
    what a beautiful pool ,i bet you enjoyed so much while swimming here :)

    ah what can one do about these eyes that don't support our passion for reading and writing anymore :(

    memorizing the words of my mom when i used to finish a whole thick book in one day ,she always said ,"lady you will be blind the way you are swallowing the whole book in poor dim light of lantern "

    wishing you too a very joyous year ahead my precious friend!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.