Friday, July 31, 2026

Now What???

Just when I think no more men in hardhats with big machines could show up
to work in our neighborhood, they crowd in pulling their fascinating loads.
What's Up Now?
Here Come More Men in Hardhats with Big Machines
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

I knew something was up when a rainbow of flags, marks and numbers
began decorating the neighborhood, first yellow, then red, then orange, then others.

An Intriguing Rainbow
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 28, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

When I saw the rainbow spread of colors, I had to find out what they stood for.
Obviously things under the ground,
but what things, and why were they all so carefully delineated?
I began to poke around on a couple of my morning walks, reading the colored flags:
yellow~natural gas lines, red~electric lines, blue~water mains, green~sewage lines, ...
Orange, white, pink ...

Red Electric and Yellow Gas, Side by Side and Snuggled Up to Orange Comcast
No Clue What the White's For - At This Location
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

As the extent of this municipal mycelium was revealed,
I began to feel a distinct sense of vulnerability.
How much of a disaster would it take to knock out our modern infrastructure,
and how many of the thousands and thousands of people
crammed into this densely-populated suburban space would survive?
Likely not me.  To quote Cobain, "... I don't have a gun."

Combat that bleak thought with a positive and hopeful one,
the summer blooming of my Grandmother MacDonald's aromatic climbing roses
which have been a source of joy for generations of my family.
My sister Bertie sent me photos last week, 
and I swear I could smell the blooms past and present.

Grammie's Climbing Roses
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia
July 20, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

It didn't take me long to figure out what was going on in the neighborhood
when I remembered the tag dangling from our garage door handle last week.
"AT&T fiber:  Hyper-fast internet is coming your way." 

Sure enough, a fiber optic cable-laying crew arrived a few days ago
to begin installing the internet cable in the "public right-of-ways" in our neighborhood.
As far as I can tell our neighborhood consists almost entirely
of "public right-of-ways," even in our own yards.

Laying the Fiber Optic Conduit That Will Contain the Fiber Optic Cable
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

Even though they spoke little English, the crew kindly showed me their work.
They drill a horizontal hole under the ground with a horizontal directional drill. 
Then using the same horizontal drilling machine, 
they pull a thick, flexible plastic pipe called a conduit through the borehole.
Finally, the fragile fiber optic cable is blown through ~
I didn't see this part of the operation ~ Drats!
Right now they're laying the main cables, and later they will install the secondary cables.

Feeding the Fiber Optic Conduit into the Ground
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved




A Horizontal Directional Drill Drilling the Hole for the Fiber Optic Conduit
It drills a precise underground path to install pipes, conduits, or cables without digging a full trench.
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved




Good to Know That the Gas Line is 44 Inches Down!
The Cable Line (circled in pink) is Safely Above the Gas Line
Pink is for All the AT&T Fiber Optic Cable Locations and  Notes
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved




A Block's With of Cable Laying Equipment
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

I can see one of their workmen spraying lines across the golf course right now.

A Worker's Dedication
Locating Municipal Mycelium, Even in the Rain
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 30, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

If you're open to people and show interest in what they are doing,
you can learn all kinds of fascinating things.
(And oh, white is most often for the irrigation pipes for our golf club water renovation.)

"Cheese!" He Says!
Feeding Conduit
Aurora, Colorado, USA
July 27, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

I keep thinking of the quote from Anthony Doerr's book All the Light We Cannot See,
"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
Are you opening your eyes?
Life, like fiber optic cable, is fragile.


How many of you saw this amazing shot captured by my Blogging Bud, Roentare?
It's one photo from his Whittlesea Rodeo Series, shared on Tuesday July 21st. 
This talented photographer and lyrical writer certainly has his eyes open.

Photo by Roentare

May you have a great weekend filled with open eyes, relaxation and laughs!
 


 Till next time ~
 Fundy Blue
 
Standing Into Danger                                    https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com
 Copyright ©2026 – All rights reserved.

My next post will be IWSG Day
Wednesday, August 5th, 2026 🤞 

On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



        

32 comments:

  1. That is a great shot.
    They laid those lines in our neighborhood years ago. Now I know what they were for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystery resolved! Happy weekend, Alex. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I noticed just yesterday that our back alley is now covered with those mysterious multicoloured hieroglyphics too. I wonder what will be done there? I hope it doesn't hinder our getting in and out of our parkade while it's going on. And yes, I've been enjoying Roentare's rodeo photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roentare is a talented photographer with the soul of a poet. I hope you don't get hindered getting in and out your parkade. Debra That is always frustrating, especially if it continues for a while. The freeway overpass that's being rebuilt and widened near our home will be under construction for another year. It's a big bottleneck. Last night I couldn't get to sleep because I kept smelling gas. I'd get up, check our home, lay down, and get up again when the next wave of gas smell would hit me. Finally I realized the wind must be carrying the smell of gas from the machines working on the overpass overnight. (I have a strong sense of smell. 😂). At any rate we're still here today, so all is good! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  3. ...yes, let the digging commence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hyper fast internet is a good thing, Tom. Terry was looking into it last year, but AT&T's fiber optic network hadn't reached our area yet. Have a happy weekend with your Sweetie!

      Delete
  4. I never really thought about what the different colors meant. I usually only see one color at a time so assumed that was the color paint they had that day. Guess I was wrong.

    They'd done a few of them up here. I've been stuck in and around them a number of times going here to there.

    Very true too. Can learn alot from opening your eyes and taking the time to see and ask.

    And if everything went to crap, I know a few places to hide out. Not sure I'd survive, but I'd survive for a little bit at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat, where you're at! I'd bet on you making longer than most if things went bad, especially where you live. Hopefully we won't have to deal with such events. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  5. Similar stuff in my neighbourhood has been going on for years- Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty amazing to learn about all the things under our ground. Happy weekend, Christine!

      Delete
  6. In reality, it's not if the grid will fail but when. There are very few that are ready for it. Mr. M. and I always talk to the city workers. They are ready to explain what they are doing and are always so nice. Yes, I have seen ALL of the rodeo photos. They are magnificent. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if, but when ~ Unfortunately, I fear you are right, Nicole! There are so many fascinating people working every day to make our modern lives function. I never tire of learning what they are doing and why. Take care, and enjoy your weekend with Mr. M.

      Delete
  7. Hope the workers don't disrupt your life for that long. We have constant construction beside us, behind us and then, in the neighborhood just over from us. What are they all doing? Who knows? It involves buzzing, sawing, hammering and various other loud noises I am old, I just want some peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my husband, Kay! Peace and quiet is his dream. I like investigating to see what's happening. 😂. Have a great weekend ~ hopefully quieter! ❤️

      Delete
  8. Wow! ~ You got lots of info ~ and yes every time there is construction at one or more houses on the street ~ the below ground markings appear ~ for safety so you should be fine ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who needs Google, if you can just observe, ask, and listen. Thanks for the fascinating insight into the installation of fiber optic lines. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, Arnoldo! So much to explore and to learn about in this world!

      Delete
  10. That truly is a rainbow of colors on your street. I was only familiar with the yellow color for gas lines because I got those yellow flags in my yard when I wanted to dig there for new plantings. We had to get in touch with PG&E and then they came and checked where the gas line is. They marked it with small yellow flags so that we don't accidentally hit the line while digging. Will the fiber optic be available for your internet service? I assume so since this was AT&T. We have fiber optic and it really is super fast. When I worked with HP, I was working with Fiber Optic Test - fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will be able to access the super fast internet when this project is completed. I am really looking forward to it. I do love my internet. 😂. All the best to you, Carola!

      Delete
  11. How amazing you were able to get all the photos of the guys laying that cable. Wonderful shots. Happy FFO, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a hard hat, too :-)
    And I thought of pride month with the colors - woop, interesting what you found out! Never saw that here.
    Beautiful flowers (here still nothing).
    Very, very interesting and yes - show interest! I had a real nice chat with a garbie in our Caravan Park - he explained it all to me and wanted to know how it´s done here.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Iris! I hope that you are enjoying a good week!

      Delete
  13. You know, I thought I could smell the roses when I first saw that photo. Interesting to see what all the coloured lines were for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! I have a gorgeous bouquet of yellow roses on my kitchen counter ~ no fragrance. Give me old-fashioned fragrant roses please. All the best to you!

      Delete
  14. I love the phrase you used to describe the underground scene- municipal mycelium. That's what it is, isn't it? I live rural and on a gravel road with no municipal myceliia of any kind, so it was fun to remember what it's like to live where you get things delivered to your house from below ground. Happy August Louise. I hope you have a great start to the new month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! I hope August has gotten off to a great start for you too!

      Delete
  15. my dear friend Louise how exciting that your area is getting brand new cable installed for better internet :) i am impressed to see that work is being done by municipal section unlike here by here internet providers themselves .this keeps things smooth ,specially preinstalled wire systems for other things . you are beautiful storyteller my friend and have way with words to say things about everything :) i enjoyed each bit . workman working in rain is touching sight indeed . you brought very powerful and bright perspective along with it and it turned your post in deeper philosophy of life . yes it's not that life or universe are loosing their light but we are focusing in the darkness more intently and with more intensity unfortunately . life has been like this ,divided into two side dark and bright .but storms of knowledge and flow of information dragging us towards dark side quickly because we are not strong enough to push or keep this negativity away form ourselves !
    thanks for sharing your light with us dear friend! it is ne❤️eded more than ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, Baili, how special you are! Yes, we have to focus on the light in our world. there is a lot of goodness despite the darkness. Much love to you!

      Delete
  16. Dear Louise, the climbing roses are gorgeous! You did an amazing job capturing all those construction photos, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother's roses are about my favorite flowers in the world, Linda. I've learned a lot about cable construction in the past several weeks. So interesting. All the best to you, my sweet friend! ❤️🌺❤️

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.