Wednesday, October 7, 2026

IWSG Day: Wednesday, October 7, 2026 ~ Family Fun and The Mortal Terrors of Pat Hatt

    



It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are 

Stop by their posts and thank them for hosting.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.

This month's optional question is: 
Many people are calling for writers who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that, too? (Thanks Melissa Maygrove for the question!)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy October, Everyone! 
I hope that September has been good to you.
Terry and I have just returned from traveling, and it is so good to be home.
We sandwiched a trip to Nova Scotia between two trips to Las Vegas.
Nova Scotia was extra special and filled with family, fun and love.
I'm sharing two highlights from my Canadian trip:
a family wedding and a delightful surprise.

Flying Home
Grand Canyon National Park, near Littlefield, Arizona, USA
October 3, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

The first highlight of our month of travel was our niece Natalie and fiancΓ© Jake's wedding
on September 12th in Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada.
It was a lively, happy ceremony on a perfect day in her great grandmother's backyard
(Now her parent's backyard).

This is one of my favorite photos from the wedding.  
It incudes Natalie, Jake, her grandfather Bob, her mother Bertie and father Peter, 
her cousin Mac, her aunt Andrea, and her nephew little Andrew.

The wedding was a whole family production,
and Andrea, for one, drove one and a half hours each way
to pick up all the flowers for the wedding which various family members assembled.

Definitely a Happy Wedding!
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
September 12, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

The second highlight of our trip to Nova Scotia was a wonderful surprise.
I was sitting on my sister Barb's kitchen window seat the morning after the wedding
when here comes Pat Hatt walking across the grass!
I was shocked!
I thought we had regretfully agreed we couldn't find a way to meet until next July.

"You've got to go, Uncle Pattie!" pleaded nephews Russell and Tom.
"You've got to go see the old lady duckling eater.
"You've got to take her our books.
She's so old, she might be dead before next year."
What's an awesome uncle going to do? πŸ˜‚

Pat and I
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
September 13, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

(BTW, Blue Toe and Destructo, I plan to be around next year and a lot longer! ~
Just for you two, Tom and Russell, I adding two photos to this post
from a local farmers market outside Siem Reap in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Terry and I ate duck embryos there on December 20, 2008.
The baby bones are nice and crunchy!
Maybe you can travel there via one of your portals and enjoy duck embryos too!
But there might be a booby trap. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±)


Eating a Duck Embryo
A Local Farmers Market Outside Siem Reap, Kingdom of Cambodia
December 20, 2008
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

In addition to hugs, a walk, and lots of catchup conversation,
Pat brought me the six books in his Mortal Terrors series:
Rise of the Soul Sucker, The booby Trap Artist, The Whole Nine Lives, The Haunted Forest, The Cursed Well, and Wall of the Divined.
And I have stayed up late enjoying every one of these books.

It has to be amazing to have an uncle like Pat.
He takes his nephews Tom and Russell exploring along the shores and in the woods
of southwestern Nova Scotia and turns ordinary places into sites of wonder and magic.
Then, with the boys' enthusiastic input, he turns their excursions
into the wildest, wackiest, scariest stories imaginable. 

Pat peoples his stories with a crazy mixture of family, friends, their cats and dogs,
and a zany cast of imaginary characters like the soul-sucking Chingmanchoo,
the historical disaster-causing booby trapper Bluebers,
aliens, robots, pirates, zombies, ghosts, Bigfoot, and horrifying Hound Fleas.
There's even an old lady duckling eater ~ moi! πŸ˜‚

A Signed Edition by Authors Uncle Pattie, Russell, and Tom!
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
September 13, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

All this is possible as Tom explains in this excerpt from The Wall of the Divined:
    "Tom backed up against a tree as large worms sprung up from the ground, each with teeth as big as his whole body.  He then dove to the side as a large crab surfaced at his feet and tried to chomp him.

    "That is so gross.  Do you really think those are in me?" Russell asked after shooting and freezing a large worm.  "Where do they fit?

    "Russell, this is an exaggeration.  We must be hopping to other dimensions or worlds or something.  Uncle Pattie did say that it is possible anything we think of is a reality out there.  As there could be infinite ones.

    "Great." Russell opened a portal and pushed his brother through before hopping in behind him."

Wall of the Divined
Aurora, Colorado, USA
October 6, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

As someone who is fascinated by the idea of a quantum multiverse,
this explanation was mind-expanding for me.
I, of course, was thinking of a real, physical multiverse,
but why not a multiverse that includes worlds you imagine?

The Quantum Multiverse ~ Society of Modern Astronomy

I have one caveat for the series.
Remember two eight and nine year old writers had a lot of input.
As someone who taught boys this age for many years,
nothing they can think of or say throws me.
But if you're not open to some poopy humor, 
these books might not be for you.  πŸ’© πŸ’© πŸ’©

But if you're open to unfettered imagination and a sense of adventure
from two boys' perspectives, enjoy!!! 
Not to mention Uncle Pattie's unfettered imagination and sense of adventure.  
pixabay ~ johnhain 

Which leads me to this month's question:
Do I think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that?
Yes, I do think that such "authors" should have to disclose it.
Often times, it's not too hard to tell.

Maybe I'm just jealous.
Perhaps I'd be less judgmental if I had
a talented ghost writer and publishing team behind me
to help me push out lots of books.
Maybe even AI.
NOT!!!

Whatever I accomplish in writing I want it to be my writing.
I'm not in it for the money.
Besides I like my ghostwriters to be like Russell and Tom and Uncle Pattie,
spinners of tales about some very scary ghosts!

Terry and I at Oscar's Steakhouse
Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
October 2, 2026
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved

Happy creating in October!
May life be happy and safe for you!
Take care!



Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

Standing Into Danger https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com
Copyright ©2026 – All rights reserved.

My next post will be Friday, October 16th. πŸ€ž 


Just so you know, I monitor my comments before publishing them.  This means your comment won't appear immediately.  I will not publish mean spirited or commercial comments.     

   

25 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and Terry had such a fantastic trip. I love the picture you shared of your family at the wedding. It captures so much joy and happiness in everyone's faces. I agree with you that the "authors" who are celebrities should give credit to their ghostwriters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Natalie! It's great to see you. I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  2. Welcomeback. You had so fun times during your absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tom! We certainly did have fun. I hope you and your Sweetie are enjoying life!

      Delete
  3. So glad you had wonderful family time. I agree that most times you can tell when a book is ghostwritten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Liza! Ghostwriters deserve recognition for their work, even if associated "celebrity" sells it. I hope you've been having a fun day!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, Louise! So glad you had some surprise quality time with Pat Hatt and his crazy creations! But OMG, eating the duck embryos . . . I salute your intrepid bravery, Louise. I could NEVER bring myself to eat those in a million years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I always enjoy getting together with, Pat! He is a great friend. I ate the entire embryo. I might not do it now ~ LOL! I do like trying different things when I travel. I'm looking forward to catching up with you!

      Delete
  5. Hi, All! I'll be answering comments this afternoon. This morning I have two medical tests, breasts and bones. Then in the coming weeks lots of other systems. My doctor says I'm too healthy to skip them at my age, even though technically I could. πŸ˜‚ I should be grateful rather than grumpy. πŸ˜‚. Enjoy today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boys sound adorable! And the books... wow. I always enjoy your photos :-)

    Ronel the Mythmaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronel. I've been following Russell and Tom's adventures since they were born. Not to mention all the pets that have enjoyed the ride with them. I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. Thanks for co-hosting today. I hope you've had fun!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful wedding photo! I love the joy on everyone's faces. And I can't believe you were brave enough to try the duck. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni! It's good to be back. Have a great month!

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy to see your smiling face. Welcome back. Sounds like you had a fabulous time with family and trips all around. Hmmm I'm pretty adventurous with food but I might not be able to eat duck embryos. LOL Have a great day at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! It's great to be back. At least the duck embryos were well cooked. The market had huge tubs of them boiling away. I'm not sure I could eat a worm or a wiggling slug though. LOL. I figure if you're hungry enough, you'll eat anything. Love to you and Mr Mike!

      Delete
  9. Family gatherings! Beautiful. I'll pass on the duck embryos. They are all yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I've probably eaten my last duck embryo. LOL. Happy IWSG Day!

      Delete
  10. What a trip! Yes, I can picture Pat's nephews saying that. Although I will pass on the duck eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What no duck embryos for you, Alex? LOL. Happy IWSG Day!

      Delete
  11. You met up with Pat again - how wonderful! And a book signed by everyone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, Diane, and it was so much fun. It was an hour and a half drive each way for Pat, so I really appreciate the effort he made. He's a good-hearted person for sure. And I loved how the twins signed the first book in the series. Happy IWSG Day!

      Delete
  12. This is the best. Absolutely the very best! You had the most wonderful time and spent it with the most wonderful people. I can't tell you how much I adore the wedding photo. Every wedding photo should be like that, not just a group of people standing, looking at a photo but experiencing the sheer joy of just being together on a joyous day. You've had a wonderful time and after the rehab and all, super well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jeanie. I was the invisible aunt who could slip around with her phone and capture everyone. I'm feeling very fortunate. I hope all is well with you, my friend!

      Delete
  13. Seems most people are on our side with the no duck egg eating lol of course, like we discussed, never know what you'll do when desperation kicks in.

    It's fun to think about the possibilities of multiple realities and dimensions and such. Can just let the mind go where it likes and have fun with it. Even if it does always go to potty humor with young boys haha

    I'll have them this weekend, so I'll show them the duck egg pic. Sure they will love that. Just sent them home few hours ago and Tom is happy you enjoyed them and that I finished the 7th book.

    Very true, you usually can tell when something is ghost written.

    Until next year when I traipse across the lawn again after a walk because old duckling eating ladies are still sleeping hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed each of the books, Pat! It's so much fun to see where you go with your imagination. And seriously, why not imagined worlds in the multiverse.? When does the 7th book come out and where can I buy it? You were so generous, my friend. I'm buying this one. Hopefully when we get together next year you won't find me asleep. ❤️. All the best to Blue Toe and Destructo!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.