Wednesday, July 5, 2017

IWSG: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 ~ A Lesson Learned






It's the first Wednesday 
of the month ~ 
the day when members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and offer their encouragement
and support to other members.









To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are stepping up to help IWSG founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are:
Tamara Narayan,  Pat Hatt,  Patricia Lynne,  Juneta Kay, and Doreen McGettigan.

I hope you have a chance to visit them and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate an encouraging comment!

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Every month the IWSG announces a question
that members can answer with advice, insight,
a personal experience, or story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional!!!
This month's IWSG featured question is:

What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~


One valuable lesson I've learned since I started writing
is to trust the process of writing.  
Often when I begin a piece,
I'm not not sure what shape it will take.

I'm not someone who can write an outline
and follow it from beginning to end.  
I have to start putting words down,
writing and rewriting until what I want to say emerges.
I can't force it or rush it.  

The process of writing clarifies my thinking.  
I may go off in unexpected directions
or discover ideas I wasn't thinking of consciously.

Struggling with words can be messy, frustrating, and time-consuming,
but I've found that if I write from my heart with honesty and courage,
and I'm willing to trust the process,
I will eventually produce writing that pleases,
satisfies, even surprises me.


Going for it Anywhere
Riverview Resort Library
Bullhead City, Arizona, 12/2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



20 comments:

  1. I always find I can read and think easier in libraries for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that libraries clear my mind and inspire me, Adam. And I love the smell of books. Have a good one, my friend!

      Delete
  2. A library is a good place to start writing, books galore surround you, colourful jacket covers for inspiration, and quietness... for me, when I try and solve cryptic crosswords, I always have to have a pen in my hand. Habit I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the crossword habit, you always have a pen nearby, Jean! I don't know about you, but my mother-in-law always filled her crossword puzzles with ink. That meant she had to work everything out before she started filling the crossword in. I hope all is well in your corner of the world! Sending you love and hugs!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes you just have to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Sometimes you do, Alex ~ You can always go back and polish a piece. Just step out bravely and see where the path goes!

      Delete
  4. The surprising, unanticipated twists and turns of writing are what I find most exciting about the whole process! It's amazing what our minds can dredge up from the depths, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Debra! It can be very exciting and surprising! Have a good one!

      Delete
  5. I think libraries are a good place to think, read and write because they are pretty quiet and calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quiet and calming, Linda. I have always loved libraries ~ I even had a stint as a student assistant in our university for two years, including a summer. Have a great day, my friend!

      Delete
  6. Can sure go off in many directions some times. But fun to see where it goes as you write away at ones bay. Then on to the next and the next and the next haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the master of "on to the next and the next and the next." I hope that you are enjoying being a co-host today!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Enjoy IWSG Day, Emaginette! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Trusting the process is a good one! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know much about writing but I sure like libraries. Most of my published articles were historical inquiries, which follow a pretty simple format, but poetry has always been informed by adventure and makes a library of the whole world. Last week I was loaned a book, "Tales Of The Dervishes", by Idries Shah and am learning some of my favorite childhood tales are 1000 years old. That's the kind of excitement I've felt among books since I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Geo! Humankind has been sharing stories since the beginning of speech. I am absolutely convinces of this. I, too, have always felt excitement in the company of books. I don't remember a time when I didn't read and love books. Actually, if heaven doesn't have libraries, I don't want to go there. You know tons about writing, my friend! Your poetry is powerful!

      Delete
  10. Being a detailed analytical type who came from a 30+ year career in IT, I was sure I'd be an outliner. Imagine my surprise when I fell in love with seat of the pants writing! I rarely know who the killer is when I start out and there are always surprises along the way. And I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's for sure! You do have to trust and go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.