Wednesday, August 1, 2018

IWSG: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 ~ Editor, Please!







It's the first Wednesday of the month:
the day when members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.





To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.


Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG founder Alex Cavanaugh are:
Erika Beebe,  Sandra Hoover, Susan Gourley, and Lee Lowry.  

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG poses a question
that members can answer with advice, insight,
a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is:

What pitfalls would you warn other writers to avoid on their publication journey?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Publishing my first book is my writing goal,
so I am looking forward to the advice of IWSG members on publishing pitfalls.

To me the process is filled with unknown hazards,
like crossing a newly crusted flow spewing lava to collect a sample. 


A geologist uses a hammer and a bucket of water
to collect fresh lava for chemical analysis.
Kilauea, Hawaii.



Once the path to publication seemed straightforward,
like scrambling over ancient flows,
uneven and rugged, but stable and solid.
Now the path seems shifting and uncertain
because of the explosion of publishing options. 

In recent years I have read a variety of books
written by family members and friends,
from books published by mainstream publishers,
to self-published digital books on Amazon.
As I consider which path to take to publication,
I have studied these books to see what works and what doesn't.

The big difference I have observed between traditionally published books
and other forms of published books is the quality of the editing.
Often the traditionally published book is better.
A poorly edited book jars me.

I think a good editor can help an author improve his or her manuscript,
not just with the mechanics of spelling, grammar, and punctuation,
but also with the structure, focus, and clarity of the final draft.

Some alternately published books I have read are so disorganized
and full of mistakes that it makes it difficult to get through the book.
In these instances I have persisted only because of
a personal connection with the author.

I think that a poorly written book annoys readers
and discourages them from reading other books by the same author.

When it comes time to publish my manuscript,
I hope to have a traditional publisher; 
but if I don't, I will certainly look for a good editor
before I choose an alternate path to publication.
I have been humbled enough by good editors to know I need one.

Just as I know there are many pitfalls in newly formed lava crusts,
I know I will encounter many pitfalls in publishing as I move forward.
I will be grateful for the advice of those who have traveled before me.


Ancient Lava Flows 
North Mountain Basalt 
Westport, Brier Island, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 20, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I am still traveling, but I hope to visit around tomorrow.
Happy writing in August!


For map lovers like me:
Location of Brier Island
Westport, Brier Island, Nova Scotia, Canada



Location of Brier Island
Westport, Brier Island, Nova Scotia, Canada



Location of Nova Scotia





34 comments:

  1. Still traveling away at your bay? Geez, those airmiles must be racking up haha Another thing to know though as there are many so-called "good editors" who really aren't. So one must do their due diligence when hiring an editor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your cautionary words about editors, Pat! I plan to be very careful selecting an editor when the time comes. Have a good one!

      Delete
    2. Sucks no computer is still not had at your pad. But just fyi for when you get it back, the cat gave you a day today at his shack haha

      Delete
  2. Wow! It looks like a wonderful adventure! My parents lived in Nova Scotia for several years as missionaries. I've never been to Canada but I would like to. Enjoy your travels and yes, I agree. A good editor makes all the difference in the world. Happy IWSG Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy IWSG Day back at you, Erika! I hope that you get to visit Canada someday!

      Delete
  3. Very smart to find an editor if you self publish. No need to kill your career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy IWSG Day, to the guy who started it all! I hope that you are having a great day!

      Delete
  4. Love your post. YES you need to publish a book when you (and it) are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Teresa! All the best to you today!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your publishing goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachna! I hope you had a great IWSG Day! I'm traveling, so I'm a little slow getting around. Take care!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your writing adventure. I'm sure you'll do great.

    Nice map. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anna! Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad you enjoyed the maps. I have loved maps since I was a little girl. Happy writing in August!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An editor makes all the difference. Even an editor who writes can't edit her own stuff.

    And obviously I need an editor for my comments! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hope that you had a great IWSG Day! I'm on the road today, so I'll still be catching up tomorrow. Have a good one!

      Delete
  9. Happy IWSG Day! It's probably true that traditionally published books receive more editing attention, but I've seen traditionally published books that could have used a more competent editor, perhaps, and I've seen self-published books where I could tell the author really went the extra mile to make it as perfect as possible. http://www.raimeygallant.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Raimey! I, too, have seen what you described in your comment. I plan to go that extra mile whatever happens. All the best to you. I'll catch up with your post tomorrow. I'm on the road again in ten minutes. All the best to you and happy writing in August!

      Delete
  10. As you know, I'm not a writer, but I think everything you said was excellent!! I can't wait till your book is out!!! Love the picture of you in Nova Scotia! Big Hugs Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy! I’ve had quite the computer and technology misadventures in the past six weeks which is why I’m just replying now. I’m using my iPhone because I’m traveling and have no computer. Steep learning curve let me tell you! Every time I see a crow I think of you. And I have seen lots of crows, although there are far more pigeons and seagulls in Brighton, England than crows! I hope all is well with you! I’ll be home near the end of the month, and things will be back to normal ~ my normal anyway! Sending you a big hug!

      Delete
  11. Safe travels Fundy! I hope to visit Nova Scotia some day. A dream I hold on to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Truedessa! I hope you do get to visit Nova Scotia. It’s a beautiful place. I’ve been computerless for a while, and I’m learning to use my iPhone for blogging. Not too successfully because I got locked out of my google account on IWSG Day. I know just enough to get myself into trouble. LOL. I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  12. you are wonderful dear Louise as whatever you have said here is absolutely TRUE!

    and this is the main reason for my hesitation to join any professional writer's community because i know that i have short actually very short time for for reviewing my post even and dropping out there something which is not perfect fears me
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Baili!
      You are such an encouraging and affirming friend! I think you are very brave to blog in a different language from your native one. I would be a disaster! I’m amazed at how well you do.

      Sorry I’m just replying now. When I left Nova Scotia, I forgot my computer in the security line in the Halifax airport. I didn’t discover that I had done that until I went to take out my computer in the Toronto security line. I was devastated! Terry called the Halifax airport lost and found from our house in Aurora. When he picked me up at Denver’s airport, he told me that Halifax lost and found had my computer. What a relief, but what a difficult time I had getting it back ~ expensive too! My computer arrived home just as we were leaving for England. I didn’t have room in my luggage for it. I’m trying to learn how to use my iPhone while traveling. I know just enough about technology to really get myself in trouble ~ LOL. Like I was locked out of my google account for days because I messed up trying to blog on my iPhone on a train between Brighton and London. But I’m slowly learning.

      I hope all is well with you, my friend. I hope you sons are all doing well with their studies and that things are well with your husband. I’m not sure how much WiFi access I will have in Italy, so I might not have any more contact with you until I get back home. Sending you a big hug!

      Delete
  13. Honestly, there are many traditional publishers whose editors are...well, not as epic as you'd hope. I think it boils down to luck and landing with someone who really knows their stuff, but also gets your writing. A great editor with a different vision for your story and do more damage than good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Crystal! Thanks for the information. I’ll keep my fingers crossed when the time comes. Sorry this reply is late ~ I’ve had a few technical woes. You would love the wonderful array of cheeses in England.

      Delete
  14. Hello Fundy,
    I truly hope an editor will fall in love with your manuscript.
    So much time spent sitting and writing in front of your computer would be amply rewarded!
    Enjoy your travels and come back with great pics!
    Warm hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Noushka! Sorry I’m so late getting back with a reply. I’m still traveling and having communication challenges due to my lack of a computer. I’ve been locked out of my google account due to screwing up on my part. Every time I see a bird I think of you, even if it’s just a seagull or a pigeon ~ of which there are many. And when I try to photograph them, I’m thinking of your amazing patience and photography skills. Stay happy and safe, my friend! Can’t wait to catch up with you and your blog when I get home!

      Delete
  15. you are magnificent writer and i know this by your absolutely wonderful skill of writing ,so fluent smooth and beautifully written comments always!!!

    proud of you my friend and wishing you safe travels!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Baili! I’m trying to at least answer comments. I’m back on the train to London this morning, and so far all is well. Thanks always for your kind words. Wishing you a happy day!

      Delete
  16. Hi Fundy, keep on keepin' on! I love that Neck of the woods! I'm on the t'other side in Prospect Bay. By the way, the daughter of a pal of mine lives in Paradise, just North of where you're at, and her given name is Fundy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan. Sorry to be replying to your lovely computer so late. I’m having lots of communication challenges on the other side of the pond. I always smile when I pass Paradise! How cool to hear there’s a Fundy out there. Have a great day!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.