Friday, March 15, 2019

Before the Blizzard: A Different Palette


Tuesday, March 12th brought our area welcome warmth from the winter cold,
even if the sun shone through broken clouds.

The thought of a coming blizzard pushed me outside
and into the open space along Piney Creek to enjoy the 62º F (16.6º C) weather.


Middle Pond along "My" Stretch of Piney Creek
Aurora, Colorado, USA
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Aside from the sky and water,
nature had painted the landscape with a palette of taupe.

Some people consider taupe a bland or dull color,
but to me it speaks of rest and regeneration:
a pause, a breathing space before bursting into action.


A Breathing Space along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Taupe is not a single color somewhere between brown and gray.
It is a continuum of colors from brownish gray to dark tan,
and can be tinged with rose, mauve, or sand.

A Pop of Rose Taupe in Sere Cottonwood Leaves
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




A Continuum of Taupes
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Taupe Tinged with Mauve and Sand
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



When I wander in this pale landscape, I relax.
Its soothing colors remind me that it's good to take a time out,
to forget about all the MustDos and ShouldDos that drive me daily,
to just be and roam peacefully,
to browse with my camera like winter deer on twigs, stems, and dry grasses.

A Deer Browses in the Open Space
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Twigs, Stems, and Dry Grasses
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Some may think the winter landscape is drab and dead,
but not me; it is a place of quiet wonder and beauty,
if one takes the time to look with curious eyes.

Life on the Edge ~ "My" Lower Pond
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Canada Geese on the Move
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Water Drop
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Taupes Blending in Taupes
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Taupes and Complementary Blues
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Winter Cottonwood Buds ~ A Promise of Spring
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Doves
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Ice Melting on "My" Upper Pond
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





A Winter Muley
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Corrugated Cottonwood Trunks
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Snowmelt along a Rivulet
(More Taupe, including the original color:  that of the "average French mole")
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




A Stand of Cottonwood Trees
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Fluffy Winter Bullrushes
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





A Portrait in Taupes
Along Piney Creek
March 12, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



No matter the time or season, 
this beautiful and special open space restores my soul.




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue


Yours Truly
On the Bay of Fundy
Westport, Long Island, Nova Scotia
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Notes:

1.  The Original Taupe:  
     The word taupe is derived from the French noun for mole, and originally the color taupe referred
      to the average color of the French mole (European mole or Talpa europaea).  It wasn't until the
     1940s that the color taupe began to include a variety of shades.
     Wikipedia


The "French" Mole: Talpa europaea



2.  Some Shades of Taupe:
Source for color information and color chart:  ColorPsychology.org (at site:  click on gray in top bar)
Article Title:  Taupe Color
Author:  Dena Przybyla



For Map Lovers Like Me:

Location of Aurora, Colorado, USA




"My" Open Space Along Piney Creek
Where I Often Walk
Map Data © 2018 Google United States




Aurora Open Space Along Piney Creek
Map Data © 2018 Google United States



23 comments:

  1. Everything was taupe all right.
    Wild that you had weather that warm right before the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex! I hope your Friday has started off well! I had a hard time believing that a blizzard coming, but I've lived in Colorado long enough to know how abruptly the weather can change. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi, Recep! The bigger cottonwood trees are old and marvelous to see! Wishing you a great weekend! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I love these deer, Adam! I have been watching this herd for fourteen years! Have a great weekend with Daisy!

      Delete
  4. I never thought about taupe so deeply as I have reading your post today. I love your note about the mole and it makes so much sense. In your pictures you celebrate that color. Soon the light greens of Spring will be peeping out but for now let’s love taupe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will probably make you laugh, Peggy, since you are so into decorating and nesting. I did not realize until I wrote this post yesterday that the color scheme in my home is based around the color taupe and its complementary blue. I was stunned. Should we move, and it's looking more and more likely, I will deliberately plan around the browner end of the taupe continuum. I hope that you and Don are warm and safe tonight! Come on spring!

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written and photographed, Louise. I haven't seen a deer since I moved to Florida. At least that means they won't run into my car.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janie! I saw Key deer a long time ago when Terry and I visited the Keys. They were tiny! I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Fundy Blue!

    We met at MagicLoveCrow. I've enjoyed reading this post, and looking at the lovely images of your neighborhood; the open space where you walk and the wildlife. Now, I'm hooked. I love nature!

    But I came over here to thank you for entering the giveaway. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Khaya! Thanks you for visiting and following my blog! Without nature I don't think I could live. Wishing you a great week!

      Delete
  7. You sure know how to find the subtle differences indeed. The deer was taking a rest and willing to pose away. So much to see if only we look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had replied to you, Pat! My computer strikes again! I'm always slow and gentle when I approach the deer, so they're usually calm around me. Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. I hope you made it through the blizzard (you should do an series of "in the blizzard"--or maybe I'm the only one crazy enough to enjoy going out in such weather). Great photos.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sage! In the blizzard what we could see was white! I did go out into it a number of times, just to hear the wind roar. Have a good one!

      Delete
  9. Hi Louise :) Your description of taupe is just wonderful. I love all of the photos. Winter is winding down isn't it? So happy about that! You have a lovely area at your creek. I feel the same as you when I'm out in Nature...relaxed, at home...it's a wonderful world and we are so lucky to be a part of it!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! I had a lot of fun creating this post. Leaving behind my creek and deer will be very hard, if we decide to move. Have a good one!

      Delete
  10. I love taupe. I had my living room painted taupe in our other house and I found it quite soothing. I am very much enjoying your wildlife photography. I often wish we would have moved to a more country setting so I could see a few deer roam through my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! I enjoy sharing photos of the wildlife in my area, and when people enjoy the photos I take, it makes me happy. Have a good one!

      Delete
  11. I love all these photos! The world is alive, no matter what season it is! Thanks for the lesson on taupe! That was interesting! Big Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you need Personal Finance? Business Cash Finance? Unsecured Finance Fast and Simple Finance? Quick Application Process? Finance. Services Rendered include, *Debt Consolidation Finance *Business Finance Services *Personal Finance services Help contact us today and get the best lending service personal cash business cash just email us below Contact us:(fastloanoffer34@gmail.com) /whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.