Tuesday, March 2, 2021

IWSG: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 ~ Indulge!

  




It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Sarah - The Faux Fountain PenJacqui MurrayChemist KenVictoria Marie Lees, Natalie Aguirre and JQ Rose

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is: 

Everyone has a favorite genre or genres to write. But what about your reading preferences? Do you read widely or only within the genre(s) you create stories for? What motivates your reading choice??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy March, Everyone!
Since I recently discovered my DNA is 41% Irish, 
I'm wishing you the luck of the Irish this month.
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

I recently wrote about this topic, so I'll just say
that when it comes to reading, I am an omnivore.
I read all kinds of fiction and nonfiction,
and I typically read 30-40 books a year.

I have many reasons for choosing books to read.
Some are gifts, some are recommendations,
some cover passions of mine, some catch my eye and entice me.
And sometimes I just want to relax with a little mind candy.

This past year I challenged myself to read more books by IWSG members.
It has been a rewarding experience,
and I am amazed by the storytelling talents of IWSG's members.
A little intimidated too!

I've shared reviews of some of the IWSG books I've read in my posts.
Here are some more:


Well of Ash by Elle Cardy (Lynda R. Young):
A lyrical story about seventeen-year-old Ashina who flees her stifling foster home in a fit of anger and frustration.  Unfortunately, Ash lands in the poorest and most dangerous district of her city.  When she is stalked by a shadowy old man, she seeks refuge in a rooming house near a mysterious Great Well, one of many in her world.  An eerie blue light and ominous whispers awaken Ash and lure her out a window into the night and into an inescapable quest for answers to the frightening events entangling her.  While she is helped by Lacc, a handsome young rat catcher and Sooty, an amethyst-scaled, purple-eyed fire dragon, Ash must confront her past and solve the mystery of the Prudentia Great Well on her own.  Or die in the process.  I enjoyed this heart pounding story of adventure and romance, and I would dearly love a fire dragon of my own!

The Ninja Librarian by Rebecca M. Douglas:
Of course I had to read books by my fellow Voyager anthology writers, and Rebecca's humorous, rough-and-tumble book set in Skunk Corners entertained me from beginning to end.  The book is a collection of tall tales, with each chapter a standalone story featuring the town's school teacher and the librarian who just arrived to take over the town's underused library.  Teacher Big Al blends into the illiterate town by pretending her tea is whiskey and by sneaking into the library at night.  But Tom, the unassuming white-haired-librarian, has a secret ninja side, and his misadventures with Big Al slowly draw the citizens of Skunk Corners into a more literate future.  This book is ageless.  I would have read it with pleasure to my third graders, and I enjoyed it as a retired adult.

Mateo's Law by Sandra Cox:
This is the first paranormal western romance I have read, and it was compelling.  Sheriff Mateo Grey and Chief Deputy Blair Delaney must solve the mystery of a black wolf attacking animals and humans in Grizzly, Montana.  Grey is completely at home in the wide open spaces of Montana, but Delaney is a transplant from Atlanta, a southern belle with a foul mouth.  Of course they find themselves attracted to each other!  Throw in Grey's blood brother Jesse, Chief of the nearby Blackfoot Reservation who no longer speaks to Delaney, a lone wolf who lives on Grey's property, a lost child, marauding wolves, and shapeshifting, and you have a fast-paced, poignant, sexy thriller.  Loved it!

A Fighting Chance
by Chrys Fey:
This is the final book in Fey's Disaster Crimes series; and it focuses on Thorne and Amanda, not on Beth and Donovan, the protagonists of the previous five books.  It is a searing tale of Amanda's fight to survive after horrific sexual assault and abuse by her ex-boyfriend Damon.  Beth's best friend Thorn, an Orlando Police Department detective, has quietly loved Amanda, but hasn't pursued her for fear of frightening her away.  Amanda is attracted to Thorn, but is terrified of getting close to another man.  When they take tentative romantic steps toward one another, Damon retaliates with murderous intent. Will Amanda and Thorn forge a healing, loving relationship, or will Damon destroy it before they have A Fighting Chance?  This is an inspiring, uplifting story that will linger with you long after you race through its pages.

Plunge:  One Woman's Pursuit of a Life Less Ordinary
by Liesbet Collaert:
This is a surprising travel memoir. Yes, Liesbet shares vivid sailing adventures in warm tropical waters and angry Pacific storms, but she also examines herself and her relationships with unflinching honesty and truth, delving into deep questions we all must confront in life.  Her prose flows in this well-structured book like her sailboat Irie surfing big following seas, carrying us through its shifting emotional tones of courage, passion, heartbreak, and pathos.  Readers will admire Liesbet for living on her own terms and taking risks most of us would never dare to consider.  And they will adore her lovable dogs, Kali and Darwin. Liesbet reminds us that we only live once and that we should plunge into the journey fully with open hearts, open minds, and courage. 

The Circle of Friends series, books 1 and 2,
Lori and Sarah by L. Diane Wolfe:  
If you've been engaged with the IWSG Day blog posts, then you likely know of talented member, author, publisher, and motivational speaker Diane, aka Spunk on a Stick.  Diane was motivated to return to writing as an adult by the adage that everyone needs "something to hope for and someone to love."  I've raced through the first two books in the series and look forward to reading the remaining three.   
    Lori's dream is to swim for Olympic gold.  She appears to have it all, beauty, athleticism, and wealthy, supportive parents along with drive, organization, and determination.  But Lori is shy and lacks confidence.  When high school quarterback Jason rescues her from a bullying attack, romance flourishes.  Will this help or hinder her in her quest for Olympic gold?
    Lori's best friend Sarah is studying for a career in biochemistry at Georgia Tech.  While successful in her courses, she is less successful socially.  Bold and intelligent, this tomboy connects with guys as a good buddy rather than a romantic partner.  She falls into a relationship with college football receiver Matt who just happens to be Jason's best friend. With high school behind them, these friends struggle with adult issues and confronting their pasts while reaching for their ambitious futures.
    These two books will inspire you and fill you with optimism.  They illustrate that if you work hard enough you can achieve your dreams or reach for more meaningful ones and that you can overcome low self-esteem and difficult family relationships in the process. They provide strong doses of encouragement and hope and will lift you up.

*  *  *  *  *

If you haven't indulged in books written by your fellow IWSG members, I encourage you to try a few.  You will be impressed by the talent and creativity of fellow members.  Don't let their successes fuel your insecurities.  Use them to propel your own success as a writer. You can learn so much about reading members' books, and the authors will cheer you on with stories of their personal journeys and support you with a wealth of experience and professional insights.  And always remember, as spunky Diane says, "With a positive attitude, any goal can be achieved!" 

Published!
April 24, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

 
I invite you to stop by the IWSG Anthology blog today.  Blog coordinator  Stephanie Espinoza Villamor  is featuring author Steph Wolmarans and her short story "The Utten Mission" today:

Print copies of Dark Matter: Artificial are available for preorder on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and from the publisher, Dancing Lemur Press! eBooks are also available. Release date is May 4, 2021.Day

Happy IWSG Day, everyone! 




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue 









57 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back Louise, I trust all is well. Excellent choice of books. I love reading but do it spasmodically.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. All is well. I'm past my reactions to the Covid vaccine, except I'm still not back to my normal energy. And I am so relieved! Terry gets his final shot in 10 days or so. After that I can get my hair colored and cut. I'm really excited about that. I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
    2. Trying to make a decision to have my vaccine. Pleased you are better and hope all goes well for Terry. Like you I can't wait to get my hair cut and coloured.
      Take care.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise, welcome back. I think one of my favourite writers has always been Josephine Cox, who grew up in poverty in Blackburn, who went on to sell millions of copies of her books. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I shall have to check Josephine Cox out. I haven't read her books. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  3. That is fantastic advice. I also started picking up works by our author friends. I am loving them, too. Plus it is inspiring to read something by someone you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph! It is so much fun to read the books of people you have connections with. Enjoy today!

      Delete
    2. btw, I loved the backstory to your short story in the latest anthology.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for co-hosting with me. I read widely too. There are always way more books that I wish I could read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth! Have lots of fun visiting around today, Natalie!

      Delete
  5. That is quite the variety. I've read a lot of IWSG member books and found some really good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just delighted you have enjoyed my series. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I can't wait to read the rest! Have a good one!

      Delete
  7. It will be an EXTRA-SPECIAL St Pat's Day for you this year, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeh for books and reading! I spent a lot of last year behind in my reading goal, but so far this year, I'm actually a little bit ahead. And there are so many books I'm looking forward to reading this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful reviews. You're encouraging my decision to get an eReader. I completely agree, our IWSG is a filled with a wide variety terrific books.
    Thank you for co-hosting this month.
    Lynn La Vita @: Writers Supporting Writers

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many talented writers in the blogging community! So nice of you to be supportive and read and review their books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! I'm having lots of fun doing it. all the best to you!

      Delete
  11. Omnivore is the perfect word to describe someone who reads widely! It's hard not to read different genres if you have writer friends, isn't it? I love reading their books because I understand more about them as people. I see you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books can reveal a lot about their authors! It's part of the pleasure, for sure. Have a great day, Lee!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the story!

    I have a book shelf of autographed books by writer friends. They're my treasures. I've read Mateo's Law (awesome, like you said!) and the rest are on my reading list. I am such a slow reader. It annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a slow reader, too, Elizabeth. I have to go back and reread sometimes, and I make little character notes on the blank pages. LOL. Happy reading and writing to you!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the list of books. I'm almost caught up with my reading. Now I have all these new ones. Don't disturb me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I get it, Beverly. I have this vision of heaven that includes all the books ever written, and I have an infinity of time to read. It's my only hope! Have a fun day!

      Delete
  14. I've read almost every book you listed and I can tell you, it's a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Jacqui! I think it's awesome that you support IWSG authors too! Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  15. Sure some grand reviews. Yeah, there are lots of good books by iwsg members indeed. I think I could guess that you read everything though. I mean you read many of mine. Cat time machines and rhyming are a bit different lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yours are always fun, Pat! Have a good one my rhyming friend!

      Delete
  16. I've read books by our IWSG members and loved them. Yes, a talented group. Love your happy face photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! We have such talented members! I hope that you have had lots of fun visiting round today!

      Delete
  17. A good list--I've only read Chrys Fey's. My goal this year is to read more fiction, yet I have only read one book of fiction (and it's excellent--Viet Thanh Nguyen, 'The Sympathizer"

    https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the good news, Sage, is that the year is young! LOL I'll have to check that book out. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for reading my book. I'm so thrilled you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Lynda! Have a happy March, reading and writing!

      Delete
  19. I absolutely love the photo of you with the books! And I thank you for reading one of my books, and your kind words about it :). I’m so pleased you enjoyed it, and I think you nailed the audience just right—I always said it was for 3rd graders and their grandparents :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! It was so much fun, especially since I've lived in a few rough-and-tumble places myself. And I can't wait for "Death by Donut" to come out! I shall think of you rafting through some of the most beautiful landscapes on the planet. Take care!

      Delete
  20. Bravo to you for reading 30-40 books a year! Way to go. I've read some of our IWSG books. And yes, they are wonderful. Thanks for adding a few more to my list of "to-reads." I also love the photo of you and an armful of books. I love hard copies. All best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, VML! I much prefer print books that I can hold in my hands. Have a happy and successful March!

      Delete
  21. Yeh published! You are so cute! Thanks for the reviews! Happy March and Happy St. Paddy's Day! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you realize it says Published 1920? Just wondering. I'm still so thrilled for you. April 24 is Barbra Streisand's birthday. Maybe you and her could celebrate together??? Wouldn't that be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm well-preserved if it was 1920! Have a wonderful March, my friend. Sending you a big hug!

      Delete
  23. I am frequent visitor of your website as i love to read out the articles posted on your website. At the same time i request to post some great article on Dissecting Microscope Suppliers In India and similar as well.Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for including your review of A Fighting Chance among so many other great books! You highlighted the story beautifully. I actually got warm tingles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy to hear, Chrys! Wishing you all the best this month!

      Delete
  25. I also have a shelf full of books from IWSG writers. And some on my Kindle waiting for me. And I always buy a print copy of the anthology. They are always keepers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan! I have a shelf full of IWSG books too. Keepers for sure! Stay safe and happy!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.