Friday, August 6, 2021

Going for it! Holes and Ditches

I am continuing to participate in my friend Rain's Thursday Art Date.
I've been threatening to create some art, and today I decided to draw a hole.

As I was looking through my thousands of photos for good hole and ditch photos,
I realized there was one hole that I have photographed over and over.

A Favorite Hole
Along Piney Creek 
Aurora, Colorado, USA
May 13, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The hole is in a cottonwood tree as you head into the park along Piney Creek.
I can't pass it by without looking at it.
As I worked backwards through my photos, I found one I had forgotten.

"Well, hello there!"

A Favorite Hole ~ Occupied
Along Piney Creek 
Aurora, Colorado, USA
May 14, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I am an on-the-fly-photographer.  
I take candid shots wherever I go,
because I don't have the patience to screw around with lenses and settings.  
Besides I'm a little person, and I don't want to lug expensive equipment around.
I'd rather slip anonymously here and there and capture something fast and unexpected
with my little red point-and-shoot Canon that fits in my hand.

That's how I caught this squirrel some three years ago.
If you show up enough, you're bound to get a good shot sometime.
I have a couple of dozen photos of this little squirrel.
It was all over the place, inside and outside the hole in the cottonwood tree.

Snacking
Along Piney Creek 
Aurora, Colorado, USA
May 14, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


My friend Stacy at Magic Love Crow creates beautiful, unique, and exuberant art.
She shares how she creates her magnificent crow pieces.
Following her example, I'm going to show how I created my hole picture.

Please understand that I am not an artist.
I have created a few things in my distant past.
I decided to just go for it, starting with a technique my father taught me
in grade eight when I was struggling to draw South America in the correct proportions.

Scaling Up from 1 to 1.25
"Well, Hello There!"
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Said Terry, "It's a good thing I know it's a squirrel!"
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Fortunately, as a retired elementary teacher,
I still have a stash of colored pencils and other art supplies.

Ready to Plunge
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Figuring Out Shades of Color
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Good Thing You Know It's a Squirrel,
and those Bluish Greyish Blobs Are Bark
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




I started the drawing on Monday, and after four hours and two generous Baileys,
I dug out some classroom bits of oil pastels, applied them, 
and smudged them with a Kleenex in parts of the drawing.

I woke up on Tuesday morning not happy with my drawing,
so I applied more oil pastels and more Kleenex.

Done ~ Moving On!
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 3, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




As you can see, I have a whole lot to learn!
But it was fun, and I love my peek-a-boo squirrel.
Onward and upward.

Here are a few hole and ditch photos I found when looking through my collection:

Hole in the Sun
Partial Eclipse, Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 21, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Protective Ditch ~ Arundel Castle
Arundel, West Sussex, England
September 7, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Holes in Pants
Fremont Street Experience
LasVegas, Nevada, USA
July 24, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Holes in Pompeii
Thermopolium
Pompeii, Italy
May 20, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Note:  A thermopolium was a fast food counter,
and there were a number of them in Pompeii.
Hot food was displayed in deep terracotta jars called dolia.
Buying takeout food or eating at a taberna was a daily occurrence
in Pompeii because people didn't cook at home typically.
A thermopolium would also serve hot drinks and wine.  arstechnica

Holes in Canopy
Upgrading the Canopy on Fremont Street
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 14, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Hole in Our Deck Pillar
As Beekeeper Removes Hive in Pillar
Aurora, Colorado, USA
August 21, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Devil's Dyke
a 300-foot-deep valley
South Downs, Sussex, England
May 25, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Hole in Fishing Boat
Loading Ice in the hold for a Trip to Sea
Digby, Nova Scotia, Canada
August 15, 2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Hole in Feedbag
Florence, Italy
September 16, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Mouth Holes
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 21, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Prairie Dog Hole
Aurora, Colorado, USA
April 25 , 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Mending Holes
Sorrento, Italy
May 5 , 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I  won't be able to post next Friday, 
but I'll be back on August 20, 2021.

Stay happy and safe!





Till next time ~
Fundy Blue



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved










36 comments:

  1. Loved the pictures Louise, I've been to Arundel Castle here in the UK, Wonderful place and interesting. I also loved the squrriel pic, in my last apartment I used to feed the many squirrels that adorned the garden.
    Have a great weekend and keep well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Yvonne! When I first glimpsed Arundel Castle from a train, I was so excited that I embarrassed Terry. It was magical ~ And then I got to explore it! Chasing squirrels with my camera is so much fun. I can imagine you feeding the squirrels in your garden. I bet they loved you. Sending you a big hug, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Your hole painting is nice.
    And that's a whole lotta holes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun hunting for hole photos pictures, Alex. The challenge is to find an interesting variety. Fortunately, I photograph everything that moves and doesn't ~ LOL! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I'd say you're rather hole-y, today :)... Nice job on your drawing, I never had that kind of patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are rather punny, my friend! I found the process very relaxing, and I need more things that make me relax! Have a happy weekend, Jeff!

      Delete
  4. I love the photos, you sure found plenty of holes to shoot. I also use a poinT and shoot camera these days, it's light, quick and easy! And I love your whole hole creation, well done. Have a great weekend, stay safe, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie-Jael! You stay safe and have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Louise!!! You did the grid method!!! Oh wow, you DID A GREAT JOB! I love your drawing! :) I taught myself how to draw that way from photos too, it's harder than it looks! Bravo! :) I love all of your photos...and forget holes in the pants, there are some GREAT hats in that photo!!! :) Thanks for joining in!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! You put a big smile on my face! If all goes well tomorrow, I'm going to go to an art store. Now that I've taken the plunge, I'm going to keep at it. You would notice the hats! LOL! Have a great weekend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. ...some holes I like, but holes in pants that are new are something that I understand. My granddaughter pays extra for the holes. What's that all about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Tom. I don't get holes in pants, especially designer jeans that are ratty looking. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I love that picture of the sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam! I hope you have special plans for the weekend!

      Delete
  8. I love your creative take on this photo prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tyrean! I love photography almost as much as writing. Take care!

      Delete
  9. I bet a lot of people look back at their school days and say you were their favorite teacher.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie! I sure had a lot of fun with my kiddos. Yesterday I drove past Smoky Hill High School, and a new teacher's orientation was underway. I helped with the new teachers orientation for my district for many years, and I felt sad not to be there. I'd do it all again! Have a lovely weekend, my friend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. Lovely contribution to Rain’s Hole theme’

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you really found a lot of holes everywhere. And great photography as well. Like you I am "on the go" photographer. I am drawn to light, especially backlit things. :) I love your drawing. I think it is great and you should be very happy about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! I just returned from an art store. I bought charcoal, pastels, and some sketching paper. Watch out world ~ LOL! I call photography painting with light, and like you, I'm drawn to light. Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. Well, you are certainly well traveled ... holes from around the world. And, I love your peeping squirrel in his tree hole, the picture and your drawing. Good for you to make the effort and I think it turned out quite well. I know that feeling of getting up and knowing I need to add something or change something. We have to get it right in our minds or it will never do. Another wonderful post, Fundy Blue ... Hope you are staying safe as the Covid is back in all it's glory.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I'm doing my best to stay safe. Today some stores were requiring us to wear masks again, which I've been doing for several weeks. People here are starting to be more worried. One of the hardest things for me has been being unable to travel. It's the thing I love to do most. I would dearly love to go home to Canada, because it's been two years since I saw anyone in my family ~ a first in my life. Now I just pray that the world gets vaccinated, so people can stop suffering and we can return somewhat to normal. Have a happy week, and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  13. For an on-the-fly-photographer, you are doing a great job, Louise!
    Very creative! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I get so much pleasure from photography! Take care!

      Delete
  14. What a great collection of ditches and holes! Love your drawing of the little squirrel! And what a cute photo of it. Also been to Pompei and saw that snack bar (that's what I think it was). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kokopelli! Pompeii is a wonderful place ~ I'm glad you saw it. Now that I've started learning to draw, I'm going to keep at it. Have a good one!

      Delete
  15. A 'hole' bunch of pictures I loved here. The tree and it's unusual hole--winner! The feedback, the squirrel cavorting on its back, I could go on. Thank you for a fun stasrt to the day.

    Oh--I'm impressed with your artwork of the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui! We just made it to our room in Vegas ~ Whew! Have a great day!

      Delete
  16. That's a whole lot of hole-ness there lol mouths and pants, you got em all.

    It is great what you can find sometimes in spots that you've been to before. I don't want to lug around stuff either, snap and go. Your drawing is way way way way better than anything I could do. Don't have that in me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat! I'm back from a wonderful week in Vegas, even if I had to wear a mask the whole time. No art in you, my friend? You have so many other talents! Take care!

      Delete
  17. you are incredibly intelligent to draw such nice art out of photo dear Louise ,i am talking about the details particularly you managed to draw so well wow !

    you participation in art party seems grand and successful because all the photos including your very nice art fulfill the criteria :) congrats !

    your mentioning of not having much expensive equipment for photography made me smile because i could relate but due to only my absence of mind lol yes i can slip the expensive stuff so i try to keep away just like you .
    the squirrel image is one of the best indeed ,just right click on right time and that is a luck indeed ,they visit my garden whole day but because i am so near i can't take the "perfect shot" ever :(
    i hope you and Terry doing fine by the grace of lord !
    more blessings to you and him and all you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Baili! As always, you lift my spirits, my dear friend! Terry and I are doing well. We just arrived home from a week in Las Vegas. It was good to get out of the house, even if we wore masks the whole time (except in our hotel room or when eating or drinking). We had fun, but it is always wonderful to come home.

      I watched out of an airplane window the whole time we flew, coming and going. It was heartbreaking because there is so much smoke from all the forest fires burning in the western USA. Normally I watch all the incredible rocks from the plane. When I studied geology in university, I learned about the rock formations and structures in the southwestern USA. The rocks are exposed because it is desert and there is little soil or vegetation. Every time we fly and I have a window seat I watch for the gorgeous rocks, especially my favorite Navajo Sandstone. The hideous smoke covered everything on this trip. Going I could spot a few favorite sites like the La Sal Mountains, Arches National Park, and Capitol Reef National Park, but it was too smoky to take any photos. Flying back to Denver I spotted the Grand Canyon, but that was it. Smoke again. I worry about our world.

      I hope that you, hubby, and sons are doing well. Please take care, and know I keep you and your family in my prayers every day.

      Delete
  18. What a great post! Your photos are truly amazing! I think you did great with your drawing! It's cute! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! I was looking at your beautiful crow painting that I have yesterday and thinking of you. You always brighten my day! Hugs back at you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.