Friday, February 18, 2022

Love, Romance, and What Really Counts!

Some guys are born romantics.  They go all out.
Like this romantic young man Terry and I spotted
while walking along Waikiki on Wednesday, March 26, 2014.
He didn't just attract our interest.
He attracted a crowd as he carefully placed glow sticks not far above the lapping waves.









Well!  He definitely had everyone cheering him on!
And females of all ages loved the romance and agonized over what the outcome would be.

A buddy of this romantic young man lured the, hopefully, bride-to-be
out of her hotel room, across the street, and onto the sand.
The young man proposed, the young woman accepted, 
and the crowd cheered, hooted, whooped, clapped, and jumped for joy.
Then we all dispersed into our unknown futures.







I sometimes think about this young couple.
Are they still together and in love almost nine years later?
Are they in it for the long haul?

When you get married you have no clue what you are signing up for.
If you did, you might never have the courage to do it.
The excitement of new love, lust, and passion blinds you to the reality ahead of you.

If you are lucky, all these heady feelings transform into a deeper, stronger love
that carry you and your spouse through life and all its challenges.
(Or partners or significant others who commit to a life together without the licenses.)
It is not an easy road, but if you walk it together through the years, it is a rewarding one.


Terry at the Hideout at the Laylow
January 9, 2022


This year Terry and I will celebrate the fortieth anniversary of our first date
and the thirty-eighth anniversary of our wedding.
I don't know how we got here this fast, but here we are, and still in love!

Terry is a loving, gentle, calm, and intelligent man with a wacky sense of humor.
However, he is not a romantic guy.

I'll admit, he's had his romantic moments during the last forty years,
but he's not one for big gestures,
like giving me an overflowing bouquet of long-stemmed red roses on Valentine's day.
And he wouldn't be caught dead laying glow sticks out on Waikiki sands
and proposing to me with a mob of noisy strangers looking on.

No,
but he's the kind of guy who's there for you in the ways that really count:
The guy who 
drove two of my sisters and me 
around Newfoundland and Labrador for three weeks,
enduring pouring rain, hordes of biting black flies, a winter jacket, hat, and gloves in July, 
downing Screech, kissing a cod, and slogging through a moose-littered bog
while surviving the moods and squabbles of three competitive, stubborn MacBeath sisters.

Terry, Me (Louise), Barb, and Bertie
Thawing Out After Chasing Ice Bergs

  
He's the guy who coaxed me out from under a weeping birch on a random lawn in Calgary 
where I had sought refuge in the middle of an hysterical, sobbing fit,
because my mother lay dying of renal failure several houses away
and I couldn't bear it anymore.

He's the guy who stood by my side and soothed my thigh one night in an emergency room,
while a male nurse held me in a lock and another male nurse 
threaded a tube through my nose, down my throat and esophagus,
and into my stomach because I was bleeding internally.
Then he helped me give sub plans to a teammate over the phone 
as doctors and nurses came in and out
checking me as my stomach fluids were pumped out,
because obviously I wasn't going to teach the next morning.

He is my rock.

Together in Calgary Last December


The paragraphs that follow are a repeat of a post I published in 2013.
It's one of my favorite memories of so many ways 
Terry shows me how much he loves me.

**********
Last Thursday morning I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).
I found a pile of socks on my kitchen counter.

Did I miss some of the socks when I was folding the laundry last night? I thought.

Last Thursday Morning
(January 3, 2013) 

I put them away.

Sometime late Friday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).

There was another pile of socks in the middle of the counter.
What?!

Last Friday Morning
(January 4, 2013)

I put them away.

Sometime even later Saturday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).

No socks!
Whew!

Sometime late Sunday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).
I had forgotten all about socks.

Sometime even later on Monday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).

What?!
The socks were back!

Did Terry do laundry yesterday?  
NOT!  The football playoffs were on all day.
How many games did he watch yesterday anyway?

Monday Morning
(January 7, 2013)


I called Terry's office.
He didn't answer by the third ring.

I hung up.
He must be really busy! I thought.
I didn't feel like exchanging pleasantries with someone answering the phone for him.
I couldn't do much more than croak anyway.

I put the socks away.

Sometime even later on Tuesday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).

You have got to be kidding me!
More socks!
What the hell is goin' on?!

I'm going to get to the bottom of this tonight!!! 
I swore as I put the socks away.


Tuesday Morning
(January 8, 2013)

Tuesday evening was not a good evening.
I was completely out of it, 
so Terry made me Chicken Soup for the Soul.
That's what he called it when he put the bowl in front of me and said, "Eat!"

Chicken Soup for the Soul
(January 8, 2013)

Terry had gone all out!
Not only had he heated up the can of chicken soup,
but he'd chopped up and added in a leftover cooked chicken breast
that he'd found in the back of the fridge!

Chicken soup never tasted so good!! 
I ate it and trudged back to bed.
I didn't even remember the socks.

Sometime a little earlier on Wednesday morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(stuffed to the gills with cold medicine and Tylenol).

Oh come on!
More fiddlesticks socks!!
What the hell is goin' on?!

Tonight I will get to the bottom of this!!!
I swore as I put the socks away.

Wednesday Morning
(Wednesday, January 9, 2013)

Terry came home after work.
I was much perkier.
It must have been the Chicken Soup for the Soul.

I pounced!  The croaking phase had passed.
"What's with the socks?
Every morning I come out, and there's a new pile of socks on the kitchen counter!
The kitchen counter!!
It's driving me crazy!!!
I keep calling your office to ask about the damn socks!
But you're too busy to answer the phone!!
I keep putting the socks away, and every morning MORE socks show up!!!
What the hell is goin' on with the socks?!!!!"

I had worked myself up into quite a lather.

The Ever-Patient Terry put the mail down on the counter,
turned to me,
and very calmly and quietly said:
"Honey." 
He paused.

"The reason there are socks on the counter every morning
is because I don't want to disturb you."
Pause.

"You've been having such a tough time getting to sleep and staying asleep 
with your cold and all that coughing, 
that I don't want to wake you up in the morning 
by turning on the light to look for socks."
Pause.

This is a very long speech for Terry.  
He went on to say calmly and quietly: 
"I just grab a pile of socks out of the drawer,
go into the kitchen, put them on the counter, and find a pair to wear."

Is the E-P not just the sweetest hubby on the face of this Earth?!!

Sometime even a little earlier this morning, 
I trudged groggily out to the kitchen to find some coffee
(not quite so stuffed with cold medicine and Tylenol).

And there was another pile of socks!


This Morning
(Thursday, January 10, 2013)

Just another love note from the greatest guy on Earth!

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning,
Terry won't have to leave socks on the kitchen counter.
**********


Happy Friday, Everyone!  Have a relaxing weekend!
My next post will be on February 25th. 




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com

 





27 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your husband. Glad he's your rock. Rudy was mine and even though he's still not here, I still feel his love and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I've always said love never dies. It's wonderful that Rudy was your rock. A big hug to you!

      Delete
  2. Funny story about the socks! That was considerate.
    It's not always easy, but marriage is better than doing it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Alex! Wishing you a happy weekend ~ Maybe a long one? Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwww, that socks story! Now that's true love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, Debra! Enjoy your weekend with your Rare One! Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  4. tears kept falling from eyes while reading this one of the most beautiful love story dear Louise !

    you both make a perfect couple because i see the same "light" in your smiles which touched the heart of one who looks at you guys ,love mutual respect ,honesty and kindness are basic ingredients to cook dish of "marriage" or " companionship" and anyone who looks at you can feel that both of you have these gift dear Louise.
    thank you for this exceptionally beautiful post which will never erase from my memories i know .
    i mostly found that simple and gentle love is long lasting than the louder and sensational one . i share your luck for finding perfect soulmate in this life :)

    hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really lifted my spirits, Baili, with your lovely words! You and I are truly blessed in our husbands! A happy and lasting marriage (or committed relationship) gives a shape, direction, and meaning to life. It is a precious gift!

      Terry and I are home now, having returned to Colorado ten days ago. On Tuesday we are flying to Vegas for two nights, and then on Thursday back to Honolulu for another thirty days. I've been flying on free tickets because of a special airline deal that Terry found. I am feeling soooo much better, now that my drugs seem to be at appropriate doses. My Graves disease symptoms have improved a lot, and the medicine is no longer making me sick. Unfortunately, we had to fly back from Honolulu to Colorado, because I had an eye appointment I could not miss. So we chose to leave Honolulu and return.

      I'm going to have to wait until my thyroid has stabilized, my endocrinologist has finished her work, and my hyperthyroidism is under control before my eye doctor can operate on my eyes or use another treatment. So, it's going to be another year with double vision, because it takes a minimum of 12-18 months to get my thyroid stabilized (maybe longer if I have to have radiation or a thyroid operation).

      The good thing is I understand is what's going on with my eyes, I know the path forward, and I am more used to seeing everything doubled, so I'm not freaked out over it. Our brains are flexible, and I'm adjusting to how my vision is. I'm learning to cope. I can't drive on a freeway or a surface road with higher speeds, but I can drive nearby. Terry drives me when I'm going a longer distance. It's all good!

      I'm so looking forward to getting back to Waikiki Beach and the glorious Hawaiian warmth and air. This little Pisces needs to be by the ocean some of the year! Three years without the ocean is the longest time in my life that I didn't see the ocean or dip my toes in it. I was craving the ocean in my cells and bones. I hope to get into the water this time.

      I didn't when we were just in Hawaii, because without my prism glasses my vision is doubled and slanted. But I've got something to hold my glasses on my head, and I'm using an older prescription, so I'm going to get into the ocean. I can't paddle board or snorkel though. But I can look forward to that after my eyes are fixed.

      I am focusing on all the goodness, blessing, and gifts that I have been given and accepting that I may not see or do everything I want to, but that's okay. I'll see and do what I can in the time I have left. I have had a life rich in experiences and love. So I must be thankful and grateful for all that I have been given. Too many people endure unspeakable difficulties and hardship, even cruelty and terror. I am among the most fortunate of women to ever live since there were women.

      Keeping you, Ali, and your wonderful family in my heart and prayers. Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  5. It was easy for me to marry again. I lucked out finding the person to change my mind about marriage rather sooner than I expected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you found the person to change your mind sooner rather than later, Adam! Terry is my second husband, and it can be a whole lot better the second time around! I have had some trouble leaving comments on your blog. I haven't had a chance to check back through your posts in a bit. Here is a long comment I posted which I couldn't find. If you found it already, great! If not, here it is:

      Hi, Adam! I've spent an enjoyable time catching up with your blog. I read back to January 1st and read back more because I saw the word "honeymoon." Then "early honeymoon." I'm not sure if that means you went on your honeymoon before getting married, which might not have happened yet. Regardless, I'm really happy for you! I felt so badly when your earlier marriage ended! I wish you all the best with your new love! And with being a dad!

      You touched on so many topics in recent weeks. It's fun to connect with things I remember, like Laika, the dog in space (I was so sad when she died.) and the uproar over JFK being Catholic and fear of control by the Pope. Some things make me angry, like the Australian Aboriginal children being taken from their families and put in foster care ~ A variation on the tragedies inflicted on Canadian and American indigenous people. And my skin crawls every time I think of Ted Cruz being born in Calgary. 😱. Some of your posts brought back happy memories, like the Neapolitan ice cream my father always bought so each of his five kids could have his or her favorite flavor. And Charlotte's Web which I've read aloud to different kids and students at least 20 times. Loved Hawking's time travel party.

      I'm sorry I was absent so long ~ damn thyroid on overdrive ~ But it's getting all worked out and I'm feeling myself again.

      Be happy!!!!! 🥰🍀🥂

      Delete
  6. Anyone to go slogging through a moose-littered bog, with likely lots of moose poo, is sure a keeper indeed hahaha A moose is the only animal left in NS I haven't seen, besides maybe some bugs or something. Even though they are rare here, still a few around.

    haha well at least you finally got to the bottom of the socks and what a great resolution to learn in the end indeed.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a keeper, Pat! I came across a moose once in the Rawdon Hills in Nova Scotia, well before you were born. I was working on geology field crew, and we were spread out, so I was all alone. I eased backwards and away very slowly. Quite scary! They are dangerous animals! Every time I think of those socks, I feel a warm glow all over. I would love to see you find the right person, my friend. Have a good week!

      Delete
    2. Never knew they were up that way. Haven't been there in a looong time. Supposedly was one roaming at edge of Shelburne County a few years back. haha right person seems to have moved to Timbuktu. Wrong is all that find me haha

      Delete
  7. Glad you are feeling better and congratulations to the two of you! I would be too afraid I'd be turned down to do such a public proposal as the man on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! I'll be catching up with you shortly. Terry and I are in Vegas and heading back to Honolulu early tomorrow morning. The last of my free Southwest Airlines free tickets. 😭 I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful love stories! The beach proposal was lovely, and yours was heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I hope that you are enjoying a happy weekend!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely tribute to your husband, Louise! Your love story is beautiful! He sounds a lot like my husband George. I honestly don't need the big gestures. I prefer the small and thoughtful ones. That's what my husband is all about. Every single day he does something thoughtful, loving and caring. And he is present every moment that he's needed. He goes all out for me and I know I can completely count on him. We met 20 years ago and we're still going strong. I'd say we're definitely in it for the long haul. Thank you for this lovely post...a reminder of the important things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely you have a wonderful guy, Martha! I'm happy for you both!

      Delete
  10. Hi Louise,
    just read your story, it is beautiful. I understand totally how you feel regarding Terry. I met my husband when I was 18, got married six months later, had our son ten months later, and are still together celebrating our 56th anniversary this year. Whom God has joined together, let know man put asunder - a very true scripture that has come to pass in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifty-six years together, Brenda! That is awesome! I'm glad that you married your soul mate!

      Delete
  11. Oh Louise, how lucky you are to have found your Terry. He is so thoughtful and full of love. That beats all the romantic gestures in the world. I can always see the love in the words when you talk about him.
    My grandson proposed in a similar way on the beach and drew a heart in the sand. Some guys love that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy! I am lucky to have found Terry. As I often tell him, he made my life. I know some guys love romantic gestures. The lucky girl who found him found a great guy and a wonderful extended family. I hope that all is well with you and Don! Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on 40 years! We're at 25 years this year; and we've spent more than our fair share of nights at the emergency room. I never left socks on the counter, though. I've become very good at sneaking out quietly. So much so that there was a couple times I went on business trips, and my roommates got mad at me for not waking them up in the morning (no one asked me to). Quote the roommate: "How did you get out of the room so quietly? You're like a friggin' ninja!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to ninjas! It's hard to get through life without hitting the emergency room, especially if you have kiddos. Congratulations on twenty-five years together! Wishing you many more!

      Delete
  13. What an awesome love story. I know, strange things happen to socks in our house too. There are sock-monsters in Mexico! Thanks for sharing this, Louise. Such a sweet story. I've been married over 45 years. Most of my life. Can't imagine a day without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you have also found your true love, Joylene. I can't imagine a day without Terry either. I nearly lost him last April 10th, suddenly and unexpectedly. It was an important reminder about never taking the gift of another day with him for granted. Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.