Friday, June 3, 2022

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Pretty in Pink ~ June 3, 2022

No heavy quantum mechanics, philosophy, or national tragedies this Friday.
Today I'm sharing some Pretty in Pink photos for my friend Rain's Thursday Art Date.
Her theme is Colourful June: Pink for June 2, 2022.

And, thanks to Valery-Jael, one of the very talented TAD regulars,
jogging my brain with her vibrant piece Dance to the Song of the Sea,
I remembered that I have one framed piece of my art hung in my home,
and it has pink in it. 
I'm excited to share it!

I'll start with my photos which were taken during two trips to Honolulu this winter.

Anthurium
International Market Place 
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
March 6, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





Snoopy and Lucy
International Market Place
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 2, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





A Standout in Pink!
Waikiki Aquarium
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 2, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





Another Standout in Pink!
Royal Hawaiian Center
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 2, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





And Another!
Store Window on Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 19, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





Pretty in Pink
Store Window on Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 29, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





NOT So Pretty in Pink!
(But Strutting with Attitude)
Outdoor Restaurant on Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 1, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






Sunset Over Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 2, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






Pretty in Pink
Royal Hawaiian
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 29, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved







Pretty in Pink
Siam Square Restaurant on Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 29, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


So here's my art piece.  I've always thought of it as Fish and Coral.
It doesn't have an official name.

Fish and Coral by Louise MacBeath Barbour ~ 1986
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


This is a piece of Scratch Art which I created
during a required course for my elementary teaching degree.
I remember doing scratch art as a child.
I loved the elements of mystery and surprise as I scratched the black paper
and revealed the vibrant colors under the black wash.
Scratch Art was the inspiration behind the black background on my blog,
because I love the pop that a black background gives to displayed  photographs.

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved

I usually had my school kiddos do a scratch art project every year.
It's fun for Halloween, and it's awesome if you're teaching students
about Southwest Native Americans and petroglyphs.

An idea would pop in my head, 
and I'd race to the art room and ask our fabulous art teacher Preston,
"What's that recipe for scratch art again?"

He'd patiently say, "A few drops of liquid dish soap in a quart of black tempera paint.  
Remember, have the kids press their crayons hard as they apply them to the paper."
Then he'd usually give me a bottle of the paint, and I'd dash back to my classroom.
Away we'd go!

At the end of the day 25 or 30 drying blank black pieces festooned the classroom. 
The next morning I'd arrive with a big box of toothpicks for the kiddos to scratch with,
and soon delighted squeals broke around the room as wonders emerged.
I still have those sponge wash brushes I bought for my classroom.

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved
.
Modern scratch art, more formally known as Scratchboard or Scraperboard,
originated in 19th century Britain and France.
It became a popular medium for reproduction in engraving,
because it replaced wood, metal, and linoleum engraving.
If you're interested, you can find more information here:  Wikipedia.


© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



Rain's Thursday Art Date is all about creating.
She invites artists to showcase their paintings, drawings, 
photography, sculpting, baking, poetry...whatever they like! 
Artists can follow the weekly themes or post any art they like!
Stay colorful and creative!





Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Friday, June 30, 2022



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






40 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, what lovely pink art, and so many beautful photos. Loved the pink fish especially, and I have a pink fish on my blog today, too. So glad you brought out that wonderful scratch art piece, it's fabulous. I've never tried scratch art, perhaps I will now! And many thanks for the shout out! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! When you jogged my brain, I was so excited because I remembered I had art that I had created and could share for TAD. I will be slowly devoting more time to art besides photography. I'm starting to get on top of things at home and am feeling so much better.

      Amazing Rain has inspired me over the years, and the TAD people like you have really opened my eyes to up different kinds of art. Your collages are wonderful and inspiring too. I started a little file where I'm stashing images and words. One day I will try a piece like you do ~ Although I could likely never create a compelling face. Never say never, though. I have to be brave and fearless like a third grader!

      Have a great weekend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. Your scratch art is beautiful, Louise! I never encountered that in school -- too bad! And your pink photos are cool as well -- I especially like the lone pink Buddha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I loved that pink Buddha. That jumbled pile of chubby, happy Buddhas made me smile every time I passed that little souvenir shop, and that pink Buddha was a touch of genius in the display.

      I was lucky to encounter five teachers who loved art and incorporated it into their lessons. I had a real run of it in grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 11. I was introduced to all kinds of art and artists. My father was one of the teachers, my parents were artists, and there were artists in my extended family.

      I think that art is critical for the soul and the psyche and the development of children, so of course I incorporated it into my teaching. My creative bent was writing, so I went that way.

      Have a happy weekend. My condolences over last night's game. Terry and I will be watching the game at Rodger's Place on tv on Saturday night. 😁

      Delete
  3. Love those splashes of pink - and have that same Anthurium thriving in our lounge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sue! Anthurium is all over the place in the Waikiki area. It's such a beautiful plant. My little point and shoot Canon is always in my hand when I'm walking about, and I'll take a picture of anything that catches my eye. I have my deliberate moments too, but some of my favorite shots are pure chance. Like that strutting seagull above ~ which was luck in the moment my shutter clicked. Hugs to you! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I've taken a lot of art classes but I don't remember doing scratch art.
    Lot of Buddas in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there ever a lot of Buddhas in Hawaii, Alex! They are funny and peaceful and devoted ~ lots of different moods. I'm always fascinated with how different cultures experience the Divine. Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Your scratch art work is divine ~ and lovely photography ~ Xo

    Thanks so much for your wonderful commenting on my blog supporting the Military ~ especially the 101St Airborne ` both my first husband and his Dad were of the Screaming Eagles and so proud ~ Unfortunately, Peter died at 23 in a scuba diving accident after he had survived Vietnam ~ I don't think I ever got over the loss ~ I do have a son, Sean that was Peter's and I remarried ~ only to become a widow again 2 more times ~ Grateful, though for the life I had and have ~ Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Carol! I'm so sorry about your first husband. Life can be too, too cruel! Those of us lucky to live long lives need to be especially grateful for that gift. Xo!

      Delete
  6. ...Hawaii sure can be pretty in pink. The Royal Hawaiian Hotel sure ia a classic that is pretty in pink. Thanks for stopping by, have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Tom! One of these days I'm going to have to stay in it for at least one night. Now I have to be happy with one mai tai a trip at the original Mai Tai Bar. But I love walking around looking at its changing exhibits and sitting in an iconic rocking chair on its veranda. You have a fabulous weekend too!

      Delete
  7. I can just hear Lucy now..."Aaaah!!! I've been kissed by a dog! I have dog germs! Aaaaah!" LOL
    That cake Louise....I want it! ☺ The shoe...it wasn't too long ago that I pulled off "hooker heels" like that lol...when I met Alex in 2013, I had some really high heels...but I guess I was more of a city gal back then. Now it's just rubber boots and flip flops!! ☺ Scratch art!!! I love your piece!!! Hmmmm...gives me an idea for RFA for Kids! I'll jot that down if you don't mind my friend!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. The teachers I loved the most and still remember incorporated art into their teaching ... I come from a creative family so maybe that is why it caught my attention, but I agree with you ... using the imagination and being creative can bleed into all forms of learning and a good teacher knows this :) So, I haven't done much scratch art because it always worried me that if I scratch in the wrong place, I can't fix it ... tell you a little about my personality??? But, that said, I have seen some beautiful pieces of scratch art including, of course, your delightful fish. I just recently noticed there are pink fish for sale in our pet store. Really ?... where were those fish when I was growing up. Anyway, as always, I have enjoyed my visit to your blog and also, FYI, I am almost finished with "The Midnight Library" ... had to set it down because I promised my Granddaughter I would take her to the art store for supplies and I don't want to pick it up again until I can finish it because I am anxious about how it will end for Nora ( don't tell me :) And I can't tell you how well I like the book until I know how it ends ... right? Oh my :) Until next week, Fundy Blue ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No spoilers from me, Andrea! I'm glad you're taking your granddaughter to the art store for supplies. You have your priorities right!

      One of my mother's greatest joys was sharing painting with her first grandchildren. Unfortunately she died too soon to see the amazing, varied artists who later arrived among her grandchildren. Her youngest grandchild, whom she never knew about, is in her final year of at veterinarian school ~ She's immersed in clinical rounds right now ~ And her job on the side is painting portraits of pets. She's incredible. The first case she had to manage on her exotic pets clinical rounds was a goldfish with an infection on its snout, nose, whatever. They put antibiotics in the fish food and that's how they treat them. I had no idea.

      I've started Rain's art lesson on starry starry night. It will take me a couple of weeks to do it, I'm sure. Busy schedule, but I'm excited at the prospect. Whenever I worry too much about perfection or am afraid to try something, I tell myself, "Be brave and fearless like a third grader." Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. The kiddos would sure enjoying seeing the pink fish, aquarium all together I bet. Not much around here in the way of parks and such these days though. Still stink Upper Clements park went under. The birdie sure has attitude haha never even heard of scratch art, at least that I can recall. That must have been fun for the kiddos indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG? Did you used to go to Upper Clements Park, Pat? The youngest members of my generation and the younger generation used to love going there. You should take the kiddos kayaking on the Sissaboo River ~ Well maybe they should be a little bigger. I love that fugly bird because of its attitude. Some of the funnest pictures are not pretty. Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
    2. Yeah. we used to go there at least once or twice a summer, if not more, but gone now. Shame can't take the kiddos there. Never been to Sissaboo River. The kids would go haha but yeah, best to wait til a little bigger.

      Delete
    3. Sissaboo is fun. So is Keji ~ dark sky reserve!!!

      Delete
  10. Just had to come back and tell you that I have finished the book and loved it. It ended perfectly and Wow, what a life lesson. I know people who should read this book. By the way, an interesting note, my granddaughter just graduated from Pre Vet at U of I and is waiting to see if she will be accepted into Vet School. And, speaking of Rain tutorials ... my water color this week was using Rain's technique :) I love her videos ... they are very helpful and allow me to attempt things I used to avoid for want of skills :) Take care, Louise ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book, Andrea! I certainly hope that your granddaughter gets into vet school! I love what Rain is doing, which is making art accessible to all types and ages of artists, and she projects this calm confidence in her videos that you can do it. Also, she uses ordinary and affordable materials that make you comfortable with experimenting with art. Have a lovely weekend! XO

      Delete
  11. What fantastic photos for Rain's TAD pink! Lovely shots. You've got me thinking I need to start looking beyond flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! I joke that I'll photograph anything that is alive or isn't. I'm outta control. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  12. Such lovely shots, Louise! It shows just how much you enjoy looking at the world through the lens of your camera. You notice so many interesting things. I hope you had a lovely weekend and go to enjoy it. Our weather for the past couple of days has been amazing. Sunny but not too warm! This morning I took a long walk with a friend and this evening we're meeting a couple at a pub to watch a band play and then we'll be heading out to dinner together. My social media presence has been minimal lately. I pop in to say hi and catch up and then I'm off. I'm loving being outdoors and spending time with family and friends! It's so nice to meet up with others, catch up and love life! Lots of hugs to you xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you have lots of fun with your friends, Martha! And I'm glad that you are spending summertime outside enjoying things. I am enjoying your Instagram posts so much. It's been great for me to be able to get out and meet up with friends, after being isolated by Covid for so long. I've been isolating at home since noon yesterday in case I did pick up Covid somehow. But I've had two negative tests so far. I'm going to work out virtually with my trainer tomorrow, because I don't want to risk giving anyone a yucky bug, especially Covid. Fingers crossed it's just a bug which will be gone very soon. It's all good. Take care! XOX

      Delete
  13. I love your fish art. :) I have been to Honolulu once when my granddaughter was studing there. It is a beautiful place but too busy for my taste. But I loved the beaches a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! Yes, Honolulu is very busy, but I've found some quiet places, friends, and lots of fun. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. Not sure my comment was saved. I very much like your fish art and Honolulu. I have been there once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made it, Monica! I get flummoxed with posting comments a lot. Take care!

      Delete
  15. You have a great eye for capturing exciting and interesting images! Loved the parade of pink ones you shared today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I do have fun with my camera. Thanks for visiting! Have a great week!

      Delete
  16. I seem to be having trouble leaving my comment today. Just wanted to say I loved the pink theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and others, Lee! I have since learned that there is and the location of a spam folder on Blogger. I found your comments and others. I'm going to check it daily. I hope that you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  17. I was absolutely positive I had left you a comment. However, I don't see it here now. One of the photos that stood out was the single pink Buddha mixed in with the green ones. Nice contrast. That pink heel is so high I would get dizzy if I tried to wear it (grin). And of course, the pink fish is out of this world.

    I have tried scratch art in the past, but I used black fluid acrylic (Golden product). Yours is SO much better than anything I could ever make. These are all great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Elizabeth! I'd stop and look at the Buddahs every time I went past the store window. They are so jolly and chubby and pasted a big smile of delight on my face every time I saw them, especially the standout pink one. Have a relaxing weekend!

      Delete
  18. I don't think my comment took/published. I wonder if that is why you don't show the first one I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Elizabeth! Thanks to Sue (Elephant's Child) and Rain, I learned about and located the spam folder on my blogger site and found yours and others' comments. I'm going to check it daily. Hopefully this will resolve the comment problems. 🙏🏼

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.