Friday, September 9, 2022

Walking to Ittoqqortoormiit +TAD and FFO

I missed posting last Friday, so I'm determined to post today!
I was derailed by a number of things including Terry's and my 38th Wedding Anniversary.

Just Married
Parker, Colorado,USA
September 1, 1984
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Terry and I with Our Beloved Niece Deirdre
Parker, Colorado,USA
September 1, 1984
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Last week's theme for my friend Rain's Thursday Art Date was Mazes.
I wasted way too much time down a rabbit hole on Colorado's scariest maze:
the fictional Overlook Hotel in Stanley Kubrick's classic movie The Shining.
The movie was based on Stephen King's breakout horror novel The Shining.
I should have just posted my maze photo.

A Maze of Streets ~ from the Top of the Duomo
Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore (Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Flower)
Florence, Italy
September 21, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


This week's TAD theme is apples, one of my favorite things to eat.

An Apple Pie in the Works
Aurora, Colorado, USA
November 25, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


My photo for Nicole's Friday Face Off last week:

An Eagle on a Totem Pole
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
November 25, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



My photo for Nicole's Friday Face Off this week:

My Grandmother Myrtle Pratt (upper left)
My Great Grandmother Annie Nicholson Pratt (lower left)
St Peter's Bay, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Date Unknown, Circa 1900
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I finally had a chance to catch up on my retirement walking data.
I know, I know! ~ Another rabbit hole.
I fell so far behind during the last two years with everything going on.

I started walking on June 9, 2012, three days after I retired,
and I recorded my walking distance each time.
I had this goal of "walking" from my home in Aurora to St. Anthony, Newfoundland.
It's at the northern tip of the Great Northern Peninsula,
and it has always whispered to me when I look at maps of the province.
 
I "reached" St. Anthony 1933 days later on September 23, 2017 
after walking 2423 miles/3899 kilometers.
I had visited St. Anthony for real in 2011,
and I have promised myself I will return.

My First Time in St. Anthony
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
July 15, 2011
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


My sister Barb said she would walk with me to the sign
from five miles out when I return ~
Perhaps, now, we'll settle for one mile
and go to Timmie's faster for coffee and a treat.

Me, Barb, and Bertie Thawing Out at Timmie's (Tim Horton's)
After Chasing Icebergs in St. Anthony
Newfoundland, Canada
July 15, 2011
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Terry Chasing Icebergs in St. Anthony
(Technically Ice Pans)
Shortly Before Hitting Timmie's
July 15, 2011
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Okay, now what?  I had reached my goal.
I decided I'd "walk" to Greenland.
A year or two later my blogging buddy Pat Hatt mentioned
Ittoqqortoormiit, a community on the eastern coast of Greenland,
in one of his posts, and I thought it sounded pretty cool.
I decided that I had to go Ittoqqortoormiit.

It's one of the most remote villages in Greenland,
but you can get there from Iceland.
I actually flew close enough to it returning from Iceland 
in September 2018 that it popped up on the in-flight map.
I was really excited!  Terry not so much.  
He was pretending he didn't know me, 
because I was embarrassing him with my excitement.

Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland
Flying Home from Reykjavik, Iceland, In-flight Map
September 25, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Ittoqqortoormiit
Ittoqqortoormiit means "Big House Dwellers" in the Eastern Greenlandic dialect.
Wikimedia Commons


So I "turned around" in St. Anthony on Day 1934 and started hoofing it
for St. Barbe, Newfoundland, the ferry to Labrador, 
and on to Red Bay and Labrador City in Labrador,
and then on to Killiniq in Nunavut, Canada.

The Ferry to Labrador
St. Barbe, Great Northern Peninsula, Newfoundland, Canada
July 2011
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Finally, a Lifelong Dream Realized!
Standing on the Ground in Labrador, Canada
July 2011
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved










By August 15, 2020, I had "crossed" the Labrador Sea 
to Prins Christianssund, Greenland and "reached" Sisimiut,
after "walking" 1053 days and 3231 miles/5200 kilometers from St. Anthony,
or 2987 days and 6657 miles/10,713 kilometers from my home in Aurora, Colorado.
 
Sisimiut, Greenland
 The old Bethel church (1775) and Sisimiut Museum in the foreground
with Kangerluarsunnguaq Bay and the Palasip Qaqqaa mountain (1784 feet/544meters) in the background.



I'm currently slogging across the top of Greenland.
As of Saturday I'm two thirds of the way from Qeqertat to Station Nord: 
1,781 days and 4471 miles/7678 kilometers from St. Anthony,
3,715 days and 8194 miles/13,184 kilometers from Aurora.

Qeqertat to Station Nord, Greenland




Qeqertat, Greenland




Station Nord, Greenland


My two Aurora and St. Anthony distance calculations 
over time are within 3 miles of each other,
probably because of rounding numbers.
That works for me!  I wouldn't want to be too OCD ~ lol.




Over the years, challenges like bad weather, changing stride lengths,
illnesses, and a pandemic have forced me to adjust where I walk and my calculations.
I've even dragged my IV stand up and down the hall
when hospitalized to get a little walking in.

Dogged Determination
Aurora, Colorado, USA
Can't find the date!  😱
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Forgive me if you are bored by my calculations
and map plotting on my walking journey.
I'm over ten years in, and I'm too invested to stop.
On to Ittoqqortoormiit!  
(I still can't spell the damn word without looking at it!)

Guaranteed, if I reach it, I'm darn well going to go there 
with a stop in St. Anthony on the way.

Have a great weekend! 





Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Friday, September 16, 2022.  🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




 


36 comments:

  1. A lovely eclectic post. Thank you. Happy Wedding Anniversary - and congratulations on all that walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! It helps me to have goals and plot my progress. I recently read a book about Grandma Gatewood who started walking in 1955 at the age of 67. She was the first solo female thru-hiker to walk the Appalachian Trail, and the first person, male or female, to walk it three times. The book reminded me that age should not keep you from following your dreams and achieving goals. Have a relaxing weekend!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful pictures that I enjoyed looking at. It brightened my day, Yesterday's world newa that our Queen passed away was a shocker.
    Have a good week and keep well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! It brightens my day to know that you enjoyed them! It was a shocker when Queen Elizabeth died, especially as she had just met the new Prime Minister Liz Truss two days before. QE looked frail, but certainly not at death's door. It's hard to believe she's gone! QE and the royal family were an important presence throughout my life. Their pictures were hung in my relatives' homes throughout my childhood. QE was an amazing woman. I hope she is with her beloved Phillip now. I think it's wonderful, the stuff of legends, that a double rainbow appeared above Buckingham palace just before the world learned of QE's death. Hugs to you! It's good to see you back, Yvonne!

      Delete
  3. That's the fun part - having a walking goal. Certainly a pretty little town. All the houses are so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned from living in snowbound and isolated villages that are starkly white and black that people crave color. They paint their houses and buildings in brilliant colors to alleviate the bleakness of the landscape. Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  4. A 38th anniversary is an important event! I'm glad you prioritized it over your blog post. :) Congratulations to you both!

    Interesting about your walking and walking goals. I'm fairly new to your blog (and fairly hit and miss) so that's something I didn't know about. A great idea! The town of Ittoqqortoormiit looks absolutely charming in the photo (I copy and pasted!). My own traveling days are pretty much over, so I really, really enjoy the travel blog posts of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh! I really enjoy the travel posts of others too. I still have hope that I'll get more traveling in, after a three-year pandemic setback that I never imagined would happen. On Tuesday Terry and I are flying to Bozeman, Montana and spending three nights in Yellowstone. I'm very excited to get out into the wilderness. Whatever we can do will restore my soul. Have an enjoyable weekend!

      Delete
  5. hahaha I forgot about that post I did. You gotta keep on a going to get to the place that I still can't spell either or pronounce. Ittoqqortoormiit would be neat to see. But looks like you could see it all in 24 mins, maybe 20 if you round down.

    Hope you had a great anniversary. Great shots too. The maze of places would be neat to see from above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha indeed, Pat! See, you can never anticipate the effect your words may have on someone else. Look how they've motivated me! We did have a great anniversary, and I hope we get to enjoy many more. We're headed out in a few minutes for Friday Night Date Night. I love not having to cook. Have a fun weekend!

      Delete
  6. ...Happy Anniversary, we celebrated out 54th. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Neat totem. Such stylish ladies. I'd love to visit Newfoundland and Labrador. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom! How lovely that you've celebrated your 54th! I'm a big believer in apples, but then I was born in the beautiful Annapolis Valley. Its claim for fame for generations has been its apple orchards. Sadly vineyards are now replacing them. I really like the bathing costumes of my grandmother and her group. The picture was too fun not to share. May you get to Newfoundland and Labrador sometime. They are unique places. Have a good one!

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Great work on the art challenges. Sorry to see you on the IV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I always hate being tethered to an IV, but the various fluids they have delivered to me over the years have saved my life more than once, certainly saved my health. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Well, that's a lot of walking. I always like how the houses in the northern part of our world tend to be colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of walking, Jeff, and I'm quite proud of this accomplishment. Perhaps I shouldn't mention "pride"after your recent post. My motto is "Keep Moving," and playing motivation games like this keeps me at it. Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  9. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. You caught up on everything. I must say I really like the Pratt family photo and the totem pole. For being in the hospital you have a pretty big smile. LOL Thanks for joining in for Friday Face OFF and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a nice post. The Ittoqqortoormiit village is very beautiful. But maybe a hard place in winter time. I tried to pronounce it, and failed of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed at pronouncing it too, Monica ~ lol! Thanks for your kind words. Take care!

      Delete
  11. Hello Fundy Blue, nice to become acquainted with you😊
    I love the photo of your family members. They look being in the 1920's era I suppose.
    Happy anniversary 🌺 and congrats upon the great walking result 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to become acquainted with you too, Sirkkis! Thanks for your kind words. Have a great rest of the day and week!

      Delete
  12. Happy anniversary!
    I enjoyed your walking journey - it's a great idea to get your walking in this way. I would love to visit Newfoundland and Nova Scotia one day. Greenland is very interesting and that place (I'm not even trying to spell it) looks charming in the picture. The colorful houses look so happy in the otherwise rather bare landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carola! I really want to visit Greenland. It's one of those places that has always spoken to and lured me when I look at maps and especially when I've flown over it. The colorful paint on the houses helps to brighten up the landscape, especially during the long months of winter. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Happy Anniversary to you and yours.
    This is one fantastic post. That's a lot of walking.
    Happy you dropped by my blog.

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillena! I hope the week ahead of you is a good one. Take care!

      Delete
  14. This all serves to remind me that the only province I have not visited is Newfoundland and Labrador, other than for a refuelling stop once at Goose Bay, and I really need to correct that. We have often talked of going there but somehow it never seems to happen. Given that we already have vacation plans for next year, I doubt that 2023 will be the year. But who knows? Stranger things have happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of strange things have happened in the past few years, David. Visiting Newfoundland and Labrador would be a wonderful strange thing. I particularly love the puffins among the bird life. I absolutely don't love the black flies in Labrador though ~ They are horrendous! We have trips planned through the end of this year, and Hawaii in January and February, beyond that no plans. I'm figuring out how I can get to Greenland. Have a great week!

      Delete
  15. Happy anniversary! And congrats on your walking journey. I love how you track your progress--and the pictures are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Tracking my progress and finding photos keeps me motivated. Have a great week!

      Delete
  16. Walking is so good for us ~ you are more ambition than I ~ but I try to walk everyday ~ Great post and photos ~ be well ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely well wishes, Carol! I hope you have an awesome September!

      Delete
  17. Wonderful photos, Louise. I especially love the wedding images! Wishing you lovebirds many more wonderful years together. I LOVE walking. I try to get in as much of it as I can when I can. Thankfully, my hubby enjoys it as much as I do. And I have a friend nearby that I team up with every Sunday morning and we walk for about three hours! I hope you're doing well, my dear friend. I wish you a terrific week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on 38 years of marriage ... if I am calculating right, you were just a babe when I got married :) 38 is an impressive number these days ... the younger generations don't seem to want to work at making a marriage work :( As for your walking and your maps and your calculations ... I am Impressed. I guess I wasn't aware of your many treks of loooong distances. I walk an hour a day, but I don't even get out of my neighborhood. After your post my walks seem boring. And, does Terry walk with you? So you are never boring, Fundy Blue, and your pictures are wonderful ... and you were in the hospital for what? And, when? I know, you probably shared that information another time, but my memory is not what it used to be. I know it is easy to fall behind ... look at me commenting on your last Thursday's post on Tues. Now that is behind, right? Stay well, Fundy Blue, your blog is a joy to visit and missing now and then is fine, as long as you come back.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated Anniversary to both of you. Loved your art work. I wish you all the luck and health for recovery :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Belated congratulations on your wedding anniversary!
    I like your goal setting when walking! And I find it particularly funny that you tried to reach a place called Ittoqqortoormiit - what an idea, what a name! :-DD (How do you pronounce that???) Have fun walking on!
    Best wishes, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/09/juli-august-2022-teil-2-und-weiter-geht.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.