Wednesday, October 4, 2023

IWSG: Wednesday, October 4, 2023 ~ Generative AI and Writers





It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Natalie AguirreKim LajevardiDebs Carey,  Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine and Rebecca Douglass!
 
I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.

This month's featured question is: 
The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy October, Everyone!  
I hope that all is well in your corner of the world.

It Never Gets Old! ~ The Beautiful Southwest!
Lake Mead, Nevada, USA
September 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


My corner of the world has been extremely busy 
with more drama in the past few weeks than I need in a year. 
Necessity has squeezed writing out of my schedule.
It's all good, but I am very tired.

So when I read this month's IWSG question,
I have to admit AI writing sounds tempting.
I'd like to take my whole memoir mess,
toss it into an AI program, and see what it spits out.

Tempting, but not really.
Because what's spit out wouldn't be me.
And it's my memoir.
So I'm just going to keep writing.



Beyond my keeping on writing, the AI writing question is overwhelming.
I've been reading online about it for about an hour,
along with following the news for months on AI in general.
Generative AI feels a beginning step 
for AI to take over the world and eliminate humans,
starting with writers.

That's my tired brain talking,
so I'll defer to Secretary-General António Guterres of the United Nations
who stated in a July 2023 briefing of the United Nations Security Council:  
"Generative AI has enormous potential for good and evil at scale", 
that AI may "turbocharge global development" 
and contribute between $10 and $15 trillion to the global economy by 2030, 
but that its malicious use "could cause horrific levels of death and destruction, 
widespread trauma, and deep psychological damage on an unimaginable scale."

Generative AI:  Good or Evil?
I would like to believe it would benefit humankind,
but when I consider human history, I am worried. 
 
I'll be very interested to see how others respond to this question.
Enjoy IWSG Day.  Stay happy, healthy, and safe.



Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com




 

29 comments:

  1. AI bothers me. As a species we are slow learners and often don't fully consider the possibilities before jumping in (with both feet) and our eyes closed.
    AI has no soul and I really really hope it doesn't replace artists - whatever their genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think AI can truly replace artists, because, as you said, it has no soul. All we need is a Putin or a Kim Jong Un to get in control of wartime AI! Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. That glacier image is so gorgeous to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You're right, Roentare! The photo looks a lot like glacial fjords I've seen when flying over Greenland! These "glaciers" are mud and clay partially drowned by a huge reservoir, Lake Mead. We flew over it coming out of Las Vegas a week ago. I'm glad that you liked the photo. I thought it was striking. "G’day, mate!"

      Delete
  3. Well no one wants writer's to be replaced by AI. Right? However, I can see where using AI could save production companies as well as advertising companies money. I mean that's not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not great, Teresa! AI is having a big impact in medicine. I had an appointment with my endocrinologist today, and she made a comment about her computers talking with my eye surgeon's computers. It's amazing how often I interact with computers instead of medical people and hospitals. What happens if it all comes crashing down? I was reading last night about how we will become dependent on AI technology and lazier. As Debra says below, "...It's a two edge sword..." I hope that you are having a fun IWSG Day! xox

      Delete
  4. Our leaders need to be concerned and good to know they are. Writing is one thing, but turning defenses over to AI? I've seen The Terminator. It doesn't end well for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get some rest. AI can be useful for some tasks. But I agree it must be monitored and limited so it doesn't become a tool for evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything in life is a two-edged sword and AI is no different. I'm sure it will bring both great good and great harm to our culture.

    I remember that in the past you've mentioned your interest in Wab Kinew, leader of the Manitoba NDP. Last night he won election as premier to become the first First Nations premier of any Canadian province --
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/2023-manitoba-election-results-1.6985468

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about Web Kinew's victory! I'm delighted to hear there is finally a First Nations Premier!!! It's about time! I loved his book, "The Reason You Walk."

      Delete
  7. Sadly we know a lot of countries that would use it maliciously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can see unscrupulous "writers" using it to pump out fake books too! Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  8. There is a lot to worry about. Remember when the A-Bomb was the weapon that would end war because nobody would dare unleash it? Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! And I remember practicing taking cover under my desk in Grade One in case of an attack. I hope you've been having a good day visiting around, Lee!

      Delete
  9. We won’t know the impact of AI for a while, but based on other human inventions (the A-Bomb comes to mind) the downside could be quite large. C. Lee McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things I've read say we could be only five or ten years away from existential risks with AI! Frightening to think about, Lee!

      Delete
  10. I've only met a couple of AIs in movies and they were pretty wack-a-doodle. But I have spent some time with ChatGPT and Character.AI and found them fun, but I didn't put them to work. I guess I'll use what's legal and leave the rest until it's all sorted out. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're taking a practical approach, Anna! It will be fascinating to see how it all does sort out. Enjoy the rest of your month!

      Delete
  11. Yeah. With human history as a blue print, AI is going to screw us over. Not in a fun way either haha Mostly because humans can't see two feet from their face. They just try and think of what is good now and not what it will do 10 years later. And because we have wanker humans that will use it to further scam people every which way they can like King Abubu.

    There are a lot of plus sides in the health care field to it, and it does help out to quicker assess some jobs and such, but other than that, not sure what good will come from it. As they claim it will make things faster, but faster may end up only hastening our demise too.

    Hopefully things are calming down around your town, or around your soon to be cruise before Skynet makes us lose. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Pat! I definitely want to get this cruise in before Skynet makes us lose! It's scary to me that wildly intelligent people like Stephen Hawking, Steve Wozniak, Bill Gates, and Elon Musk are seriously worried about AI. We may have opened Pandora's box. I hope you are doing well, my friend! Have a great fall!

      Delete
  12. Scary doesn't begin to cover it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kim, scary doesn't begin to cover it! Thanks for cohosting today!

      Delete
  13. I don't like AI, it is exactly as it refers to - ARTIFICIAL intelligence. Are we moving from God's creation to man's creation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow some humans always turn promising technology into dangerous technology to further their power and influence. I'm really concerned about our future in so many ways. I hope that you are enjoying a peaceful and meaningful Sunday, Brenda!

      Delete
  14. dear Louise hope you will forgive my ignorance but some years back i was not daring to read books because i thought it will be dishonesty probably if i will read the book and then post my though influenced by that book or so .
    i know now that was super foolish and there all things started for the first time and from then everyone who comes later adds his own opinion or effort to it and i was mistaking by thinking like this.
    but Al i am sorry is totally different thing it people can take help from it for other purpose like i am unable to write a certain letter or application and Ai will show or help how to but when it comes to reflect my own mind i agree with you that taking help from Ai will be like someone else is speaking on my behalf which is not my thing .
    i agree that this can more dangerous step than all other revolutions who helped humans more than destroyed .this hits our most important side Creativity which is linked to Soul and soul must not decay but keep blooming and growing always as it is the true target of Nature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Baili! I'm so glad that you changed your opinions about how books can influence your thinking and came to share your thoughts with others. I have learned a great deal from you! And your thoughts have certainly influenced mine! Machines don't have souls, and I can't see them creating true art. They can only imitate, based on what has been inputted to them. However, much of AI is so beyond me that I'm really not qualified to say what will happen with it. I can see so many benefits, but the risks really worry me. I hope that all is well with you, Baili! I've been buried with way too much to do. The good news is that medication has corralled my thyroid into the normal range, and if I stay there, I'll be able to have my eye operation. I'll be by to visit asap! Hugs and love to you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for kind response dear Louise!
      I am utterly thankful to Divine that your thyroid issue has been treated. This is such a great news my friend because our health specially mental as well depends on how our thyroid is acting. Eating habits particularly in our age play important role. Keep taking good care of yourself dear friend.
      Thinking of you with heart full of prays and best wishes!

      Delete
  15. I think most technology is neutral. How we use it tends to make it good or bad. Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You summed it up succinctly, Jeff! I can see the benefits, but I worry about the creative thinkers who will use AI for bad uses. I hope all is well with you! I'll be by as soon as I can. Take care, my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.