Friday, March 29, 2024

When I'm in Vegas, I Always ...


I was riding up the elevator at the D on Fremont Street Tuesday morning
when an employee asked me, "How are you this morning?"

"I'm waking up," I said, saluting her with my hot cup of coffee.

"What would we do without coffee?" she responded.  "I hope you have a great day."

"When I'm in Vegas, I always have a great day!" I said.  
"Here I have nothing to worry about!"

My friend Janeth and I
We had last seen each other about five weeks ago in Waikiki.
(She's from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)
Whiskey Licker Up, Fremont Street
Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


And it's true.  I've been coming here since August 1973,
and I've never not had a good time in Las Vegas.
The world disappears, and I live in the moment.
I don't have to worry about working, taking care of the house,
or the routine busyness of life.  I can do whatever I want.  
And I sleep like a baby!

Watching My Favorite Fremont Street Band ~ Stays in Vegas
Featuring Lead Singer and Frontman Jeff St. Germain
Whiskey Licker Up, Fremont Street
Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved



I hope you're not imaging a wild, crazy, and out of control Louise.
I'm quiet and low key.  I like to slip around anonymously.
That way I can observe and take photographs without drawing attention to myself.

When I win at video poker, anything, I rarely make a sound.
I don't want anyone to notice.  If Terry remarks on my win, 
I get mad at him and say, "Don't grump on me!
I don't want to attract the attention of the Universe."

A Previous Big Win ~  A Royal Flush
Laughlin, Nevada, USA    November 24, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved



So what am I doing in Las Vegas this week?  I'm here for two reasons.
Terry treated me to a very special event on Tuesday evening,
and Janeth and I completed a bucket list item for both of us on Wednesday.

For those of you who may think I experienced more than my share
of tropical sunshine on O'ahu recently, the Universe noticed.
Early Sunday morning the National Weather Service issued
a blizzard warning for Aurora and the Front Range that night.

I couldn't believe it!  
Terry is taking me to Teddy Swims' concert in Vegas,
and there is a blizzard coming the night before we leave!
Terry booked Sunday night at the Hyatt Place by Denver International Airport,
and we caught a Lyft there just as the bad weather moved in.
This is so not Terry, but he knew I was freaked out at the thought of missing Teddy Swims.
Terry's the best!

Driving to the Airport (DIA) Monday Morning
Aurora, Colorado, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Deicing the Plane Before We Take Off
Aurora, Colorado, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Hello Beautiful Waterpocket Fold and Capitol Reef National Park!
I look for this spectacular monocline every time I fly to Vegas.
Southern Utah, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Pulling into the Gate in Las Vegas!
Aurora, Colorado, USA    March 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


Teddy Swims appeared with his band Freak Freely on Tuesday evening 
in the Chelsea Theater at the Cosmopolitan on the Strip.
I discovered Teddy and his band on YouTube over a year ago,
and I fell in love with his voice and his ability to make you feel the emotion of a song.

Me (Louise) Waiting for the Concert to Begin
The Chelsea Theatre, Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, USA    March 26, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


Teddy got his start by uploading covers to YouTube in 2019 and 2020.
When his first upload, a cover of Michael Jackson's "Rock With You" went viral,
he asked his friends to commit to helping him with his music for six months.
The rest is history.  
With a lot of hard work, Teddy accumulated millions of views,
and scored a record deal with Warner Records in 1919.

One of my favorites of those early YouTube covers
is Teddy's version of Lewis Capaldi's "Someone You Loved."
It features Teddy and his longtime friends Jesse Hampton and Addy Maxwell.

Freak Freely with Addy Maxwell (left), Teddy Swims (center), and Jesse Hampton (right)
The Chelsea Theatre, Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, USA    March 26, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


When we were waiting in line to enter the Chelsea, a door opened right beside me.
Out stepped Addy Maxwell!  I was so startled I blurted out, "Addy!  Hi!"
He smiled at me and said, "Hi!  How's it going?"
I had watched him and listened to his guitar and piano playing so often on YouTube
that I felt like I knew him.  I was so excited he said "Hi" to me ~ lol!

Guitarist Addy Maxwell (front left)
(As photographed from the Nosebleed Upper Left Gallery)
The Chelsea Theatre, Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, USA    March 26, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved



Teddy and Freak Freely did not disappoint.
They delivered a setlist that included so many of my favorite songs.
And, of course, Teddy sang his international hit 
and Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit, "Lose Control" (list dated March 30, 2024).
I loved every song, and the enthusiasm of the concert goers was unmistakable.
And Teddy and Freak Freely are coming to Denver!!!

A Short Clip of "Lose Control" Featuring Addy Playing the Guitar
by ME! ~ YouTube

On Wednesday evening my friend Janeth and I took the plunge literally!
We flew out of the top of the world's largest slot machine SlotZilla!
I've been wanting to fly down Fremont Street under its canopy since I first saw it.
The zip line is an exhilarating 11 stories high when you fly out, and it is 5 blocks long.
No one would do it with me until Janeth said she'd come to Vegas and fly with me.
Now that's a true friend!

Janeth and Me ~ Geared Up and Waiting to Fly
SlotZilla, Downtown Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


SlotZilla ~ You come out the top.
Fremont Street, Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





The People Ahead of Me Taking Off
Fremont Street, Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





I'm Next ~ Gulp!
Fremont Street, Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved




Flying High!
Fremont Street, Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





ACCOMPLIHED!
Fremont Street, Las Vegas, USA    March 27, 2024


This is one of the funnest things I've ever done!
I can't wait to fly again.
I have a video I shot as I flew, but I can't make it download onto my computer.
Fortunately, my friend Dave Swanson caught me as I flew by.
I'm waving at a favorite Fremont Street band Alter Ego.
(If I can figure out how to download my video I'll share it later.)

A Short Clip of Me Flying Down Fremont Street
(Thanks to my friend Dave Swanson)



After a fabulous time in Vegas, Terry and I are flying home tomorrow,
so I'll visit around and reply to comments once I arrive home.

Have a great weekend! 




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! 🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

    

  

46 comments:

  1. Sadly the video of your flight says it is private and won't play. I love that you did it - you are braver than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! You're back! It's great to see you! Thanks for the heads up on the video. I think I've got it right now. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a blast at the concert and fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did, Roentare! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Darn, the snow sure is welcoming you home again and again, huh? Lol

    Looks like a great concert. I'm with you on not saying a word if you win too. Take the money and run.

    Now that would be fun to do. You mean you couldn't get Terry to do it with you any if the times before that you were in Vegas? Sure looks like it was a blast as you zipped along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun, Pat! I can't wait to fly again! It was scary when the wall lowered and I could see the zipline sloping down to the canopy level and Fremont Street beneath it. I was saying, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" But when I began zipping down the line, I realized that it was awesome! I was laughing, it was so much fun. No, Terry would have nothing to do with it, but he's all for me doing something solo. He and our friends Julie and Dave stood near the end of the line to watch Janeth and I come to a stop. And Dave recorded the video of me. I was flying high for hours afterwards ~ It was so exhilarating!!! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. ...Louise, you sure get around and I live a rather sheltered life! I have yet to make it to Las Vegas. Aurora on March 25 had more snow than we have had all winter. Enjoy your your stay and I wish you a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoyed Easter today, Tom! We flew home late yesterday afternoon. Today we had a lovely lunch with Terry's sister and BIL. Now it's back to reality. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. OMG, Slotzilla! The photos and footage of you are PRICELESS! Glad you got to see your faves iin concert too and that you'll be able to see them again in Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I certainly had a blast in Las Vegas! Wishing you an awesome week!

      Delete
  6. Slotzilla! OMG I love that, Louise you are having fun! Good for you! I love the photo you showed of the park from the plane. Keep enjoying life my friend! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! I have not felt like myself in almost three years, but I've turned a corner and I'm feeling so much better and stronger. I couldn't tackle Diamond Head this year, because my thigh muscles were weakened by my @#$%^&* thyroid. I could walk the distance, but I couldn't lift my legs to climb the hundreds of stair steps. My trainer and I are going to work on stair climbing ~ just watch me next year!!! Waterpocket Fold is a major geological structure that defines Capital Reef National Park. It's a fold in the Earth that can be traced for almost a hundred miles. It's like a step in what are generally flat lying rocks, but the east side dropped down forming a slope or monocline.. It's massive and gorgeous! Have a great week, my friend! Hugs to you and the doggies!

      Delete
  7. There's so much to do in Vegas, isn't there? I haven't been for years. I'm not in any rush to go back, but your photos have tempted me to rethink about visiting again. It looks like you had a lot of fun. :) Fun is always good. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fun is always good, Erika! And we did have fun! I hope that you enjoyed a lovely Easter. Have a great week! Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Ohhh you are just having too much fun and that is what we should all be doing. I love the video of you flying. I would love to do that. Smiling faces everywhere. Thank you for sharing your wonderful time with FFO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I've wanted to fly SlotZilla for a long time. Having a friend to go with me gave me the incentive to do it and quit stalling ~ finally. I won't be afraid to do it by myself the next time. I want to keep pushing myself and not slip into feeling I'm too old. The pandemic and health issues for Terry and me were discouraging, but those are behind us. So I'm going to keep challenging myself. Have a smooth week, my friend! Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Glad the video worked. You are so much braver than me. Great to see you and Terry again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! You were so good to film the video, and I truly appreciate it! I hope that you and Julie have enjoyed the last two nights in Vegas. Travel safely my friend!

      Delete
  10. I would so do Slotzilla!

    Are you guys ever home? You are always traveling. When we retire, I hope we are rich enough to do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you would so do SlotZilla, Diane. It was so much fun! We have been traveling a lot. We were shut in by the pandemic for almost two years and hampered by some health issues, but now we're breaking out ~ lol! Thank goodness for Terry, who puts a lot of research into our trip and hunts down every deal he can find! Have a great week, my friend!

      Delete
  11. I hope to visit Las Vegas one day but it'll have to be a while because it's not exactly a family vacation and we're not exactly leaving the kids a long plane ride away either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your wife are able to visit Vegas someday, Adam. You are putting your time and attention where it matters the most, on the wellbeing of your family. I can tell how happy you are to be a dad, my friend! Enjoy!

      Delete
  12. So brave of you to do that zipline! We were there once and decided not to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I've looked at it and not done it a lot of times; I kept chickening out. I'm betting I'll zip down SlotZilla more in the future! Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Ooh, Louis , You really lose control there in Las Vegas 😂
    I see you are not frightening anything, and envy you 😉 as I'm jus a opposite...
    I listen the video of the concert and the audience seemed to love it 👏
    Have a happy Easter weekend 🌞👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, Sirkkis, I skipped over you by accident. Oh, there are things that scare me for sure. I share the brave ones, lol! I hope you had a lovely Easter!

      Delete
  14. Glad you had such a good time.

    I personally, have never been there before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lon. The thing about Vegas is you either love it or hate it. If you ever get there, I hope you love it! Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! With my background in geology, I am glued to the window anytime I fly and can score a window seat. Flying over the route from Denver to Vegas is spectacular because there is so much rock exposed. It's a geologist's dream, and I never tire of seeing it. Have a great week!

      Delete
  16. You certainly had a great time in Vegas and the "flying experience" must have been so much fun! That blizzard though looks very serious, I'm glad you made it to the airport safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carola! We did have a great time. The storm wasn't as bad as the forecasters predicted, but it was still extremely icy and snowy on the roads. I'm so grateful that Terry booked a hotel near the airport the night before we flew. That was a first for us. I hope that you enjoyed the Easter weekend. Enjoy the week!

      Delete
  17. Glad you got to the airport. Good planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Terry is an awesome planner, and I was able to sleep Sunday night before we flew because I wasn't tossing and turning all night from worry. May this week be worry free for you!

      Delete
  18. How SWEET of Terry to take you to Vagas to avoid the blizzard dear Louise :)))
    you guys truly are love birds and such love stories enlighten my heart so deep :)
    indeed it sounds really amazing how you enjoyed your favorite singer while listening them front of you :) i LOVED the the song by Teddy Swim wow what a lovely and touching voice he has ! thanks for introducing ,i will be listening him now.
    the images taken from plane are breathtaking !!! i love to see from above and my imagination often serves me such treats :)
    Janeth indeed is sweet and great friend who flew with you on slotzilla Wow what an adventurous way to entertain oneself :))) OH I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED the video ,despite being blur the joy of seeing you fly was great :) !
    You look stunning in printed green shirt while waiting for concert to begin !
    wishing you all the joy in this world my friend >health peace and joy to both of you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words, Baili! You're the best! I'm glad that you enjoyed Teddy Swim's singing. It was his amazing voice and the emotion he breathes into a song that captured me. I don't like tattoos, earplugs, or beards, but I've watched Teddy so much that I look more kindly on such things. I'm used to them now. Fortunately I don't have to worry about Terry getting a tattoo or piercing his ears. He tried a beard once, but didn't keep it. Whew!!! I do threaten to get a velociraptor tattoo on my thigh, but I'm just teasing Terry. He'd be horrified!

      Here are links to two of my favorite Teddy Swims songs: "Simple things" ~ https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFlTW1EH9I

      lyrics/words:
      https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/teddyswims/simplethings.html

      "Some things I'll Never Know" ~ https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M04bhIRK4

      lyrics: https://www.google.com/search?
      client=safari&rls=en&q=teddy+swims+lyrics+some+things+i%27ll+never+know&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#ip=1

      I added links to the lyrics or words. Sometimes I find it easier to listen to a song I'm unfamiliar with when I can see the words

      I really hope that you get to fly sometime, Baili! It's so much fun to see the world spread out below you! I know that you would enjoy it!

      I bought the shirt in Waikiki. I've been wearing the same clothes over and over for a decade or more, and I needed to break out of the rut and get something new and bright. I tried putting on some makeup too. It's really challenging because I can't see my face clearly unless I'm three or four feet away from a mirror. That doesn't work for makeup ~ lol! I see my eye surgeon on Wednesday, and I hope to get my eye operation scheduled soon.

      Have a lovely week, my dear friend. Love and blessings to you and your family!

      Delete
  19. Wow! what a fun time for you ~ and your friend Janeth is the only other person I have heard of with that name besides my daughter-in-law ~ Great photos and fun time! hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Carol! Now I know of two people with the name Janeth. Have a great week!

      Delete
  20. Wow, what an amazing trip! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deniz! We certainly had fun! Enjoy IWG Day tomorrow!

      Delete
  21. Seems you had a great time in Vegas with good concerts. And also I can say-- what would one do without a cup of coffee.... Never been to Vegas and perhaps never will get there. There are so many places worth visiting...and Europe is far away.
    Have a good time and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violetta! You are so right, the world is full of so many places worth visiting! And I do love to travel! I hope you have an amazing week. Take care!

      Delete
  22. So glad you had fun in Vegas! Love the flying high photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! I'm so pleased with myself for finally riding SlotZilla ~ lol! Enjoy IWSG Day tomorrow. I'm just starting to write my IWSG post now.

      Delete
  23. I totally freak with zip lines and when I saw the one on Fremont Street a few years ago I thought, "Nope, not me!" So, well done! Fremont street is such a good time. Have you ever been at Christmas? (Although it always seems like Christmas in Vegas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanie! I've been going to Vegas since August 1973. I've been there for every holiday I can think of, some multiple times. When Terry was working in California and I in Colorado, we would meet in Vegas, once for a full month. I do love Vegas. Here's to great return trips for us both!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.