Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Scavenger Hunt: September 2015 ~ Opposite Sides of the Continent: D.C. and B.C.


I hope that September has been a great month

for each of my fellow scavenger hunters!

September has always been my favorite month;
and this year it proved to be an awesome one.









It started in Washington, D.C. with our niece's wedding,
and it finished with a lovely trip to Victoria, B.C.





Terry and I
at the Wedding





I can't wait to see what each of you has found!




1.  Woven
Two Lives Woven Together
My Niece and Her Fiancé Exchanging Rings
Washington, District of Columbia, USA




 
Marker Representing a Salish Spindle Whorl
A Traditional Disc for Spinning Wool for Weaving
The top of the tool is embedded in the base,
so the convex surface of the disc can be carved.

Signs of Lekwungen #4: whu-SEI-kum (Place of Mud)
Seven of these can be found throughout Victoria
marking places of significance to the First Nations Lekwungen
(Esquimalt and Songhees Nations in the broad Salish Group)
Lower Causeway in Front of the Empress Hotel
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada




Salish Spinning Whorl in a Weaving Exhibit
Here the whorl disc is shown with its concave side up as it was used.
The mountain goat wool was woven into blankets in this exhibit (top of photo).
The Royal BC Museum, Victoria, B.C.





2.  Repeating
Repeating Tails of Southwest Airplanes
Denver International Airport
Taxiing for Takeoff to Washington, D.C.





Repeating Forms of Luna Moths
Delicate Lime-Green Shapes in a Collections Drawer
Entomology Collections
Royal BC Museum, Victoria, B.C.




3.  Greedy
Homeless in Washington, DC
Sometimes it's hard not to think of American society as greedy
when I see homeless people.  We can do better.




The Turnagain Nugget
The largest existing gold nugget from British Columbia 
1,642g or 52 oz
Gold Rush! El Dorado in BC Exhibit
The Royal BC Museum, Victoria, B.C.

The gold rushes in the 19th century led to violence, racism, and injustice,
with devastating consequences for the aboriginal people in Canada and the USA ~
actually throughout the Americas.

  

4.  Flowers
Flowers Grace a Mantle at Our Niece's Wedding Venue
Washington, D.C.




Fuchsia "Galfrey Lye"
Beacon Hill Park
Victoria, B.C.





5.  Curly
Curly Decorations at the Tops of Columns
Washington, D.C.




Curly Waves Festoon A Houseboat
Fisherman's Wharf
Victoria, B.C.




6.  Adventures
The Start of One of Life's Biggest Adventures
Washington, D.C.




Someone Is Off on an Adventure
Spray from a Taxiing Float Plane (Around the Point)
Captures the Evening Light
Victoria, B.C.





7.  Line
A Lesson in Perspective
Parallel Lines Coming Together in the Distance
Dupont Circle MetroRail Station
Washington, D.C.






Another Lesson in Perspective
Parallel Lines Coming Together in the Distance
Ogden Point Breakwater
Victoria, B.C.




8.  Mesmerizing
Mesmerizing Skyscapes
Between Denver and Washington, D.C.





Peacock Kisses
Beacon Hill Park
Victoria, B.C.





9.  Triangle
Lots of Triangles!
Giant Demon Attacks a Ship, India, Gujarat, ca. 1775
The Freer Gallery of Art on the National Mall
Washington, D.C.





Triangular Breastplate (Gold)
Eastern Cordillera, Muisca, 600-1600 E.E.
Gold Rush! El Dorado in BC Exhibit
The Royal BC Museum, Victoria, B.C.




10.  Dreamy
A Glimpse into an Vanished World
There is something dreamy about these Ordovician trilobites emerging from a rock matrix
in the National Museum of National History
Smithsonian Castle, Washington, D.C.




Cnidarian Dream
Ogden Point Breakwater
Victoria, B.C.



11.  Day
Oh Happy Day!
Our Niece and Her Father Walk Down the Aisle
Washington, D.C.




Busy Water Taxis on a Beautiful Day
Victoria, B.C.





12.  Whatever You Want

An American Icon:  the White House
Washington, D.C.




A Canadian Icon:  the British Columbia Parliament Buildings
Victoria, B.C.





Yours Truly Caught in the Act!
Victoria, B.C.



Happy hunting in October! 

October's List:
Question,  Cream,  Number,  Lattice,  Familiar,  Ring,
Today,  Down,  Writing,  Many,  Broken,  Whatever You Want


Thanks to Jill (Greenthumb) 
and her Made with Love blog 
for setting up the scavenger hunt.

28 comments:

  1. Wow - fabulous interpretations - and what a lovely place for a wedding. That was quite the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnne! Yes, it was quite the trip! Two extremes for sure! Have a good one!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, this is a wonderful collections of photos! I love the way you have intertwined the two cities and their their glory. Looks like you had a great time, too! My best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LM! I loved the challenge of tracking things down for both cities. Although I was kicking myself a few times too! Have a good one!

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful collection of photos! I especially love the one with you and your hubby. You both look so happy. Love it. And a wedding! So beautiful. Did you get all teary-eyed? I find I get very emotional at these events now that I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha! I got a little teary eyed, but mostly I was bubbling over with joy for Deirdre and Will! I enjoy all weddings because they are such joyful, hopeful times! Thanks for the kind words about my hubby and me. Have a great evening!

      Delete
  4. HI This is my first attempt today and I love the selection you have made for all the words. It is wonderful to see how different people see and shoot the images for the word prompts. NOw Ifeel that i to have ben on your travels adn wedding with you. You realised wove the photos and words so well together Love the way the BC Pariment building are lit up, you niece looks gorgeous and it looks such a happy day, Love the jellyfish adn aeroplane shots, the lighting in the fushia shot is amazing and I love the columnsof the building in Washington. Have a great month ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment, Margaret! You put a big smile on my face first thing this morning! Victoria and Washington DC are wonderful places to take photos, and I'm grateful that I was able to visit them! Have a lovely October!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking part in this months scavenger hunt. I really like your photos of Curly, woven, adventure and line is just great. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I had such fun this month, went a little overboard I admit; but I had a blast. Thanks always for hosting!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos, I've enjoyed them all so much, you've captured some super images:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! I can't wait to see all the interpretations of everyone's photos. Happy hunting in October!

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous collection - you seem to be having adventures of your own in different places every month! I love your photos for woven, dreamy, adventure and I like your takes on greedy too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Since Terry retired in late February, we've been traveling like mad! Such fun, and I feel very fortunate! I love the scavenger hunt so much! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I loved this! From the two lives woven together, to the happy day and the adventure of life to come - so poignant! I also loved the juxtaposition of DC and BC. My husband and I met in Victoria, so it's got a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my post! It was a lotto fun putting it together. And how lovely that you met your husband in Victoria. It is a city that has captured my heart! Have a good one!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your choices very much! Love the spinning whorl!! And the fuchsias are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great pictures there. Loving the aeroplane ones especially and got to love them kissing peacocks.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shazza! There's something about me and airplanes! I can't resist them. Beacon Hill Park in Victoria is full of peacocks, and sometimes they roam in the streets outside the park. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  11. These are so clever! I love the repeating tails of the planes and the lives woven together! The adventures of the newly weds was very clever too and by the way, your dress is beautiful for the wedding! And you say you have no style!!! Not true!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind Kezzie! Once in a while I come up with something I love and is fashionable! A beloved niece's wedding is a command performance! LOL I'm glad that you enjoyed my photos, Kezzie! Have a happy week!

      Delete
  12. Yes I liked your wedding outfit too!
    These photos are great, I thought Woven was very clever. Lovely choices also for Adventure and Mesmerizing and I always love flower shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona! Woven was the one prompt I really struggled with this month! And then I remembered the exchanging of rings in my niece's wedding. Log jam broke! Victoria is filled with glorious flowers. Washington has many too, but they're more spread out. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful pictures, so interesting! Love all the connections to your niece's wedding, especially Adventures. Beautiful fuchsias catching the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey! I was getting frustrated trying to catch my niece heading to the elevator for her wedding. Being in heels and in a dim place did not help! So they were blurry shots, and then I realized one was almost like a time tunnel effect, and I loved that! sometimes you just get lucky as a photographer! Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  14. Oh Wow...what a fabulous collection of photos. I love the tails of the planes and your wedding shots. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.