Friday, July 15, 2022

Scritch Scratch!

Happy Friday, Everyone!
This week I made myself make time to do a piece of art.
I couldn't resist my friend Rain's Thursday Art Date scratch art prompt.

What's so freeing about scratch art is you can forget about perfection and control.
It has an inherently unpredictable nature. 
This week I worked with crayons and tempera paint
using a process I learned in school as a child
and then used in my elementary classroom for years.

I like to apply crayon colors in a more random than organized way.
I think it makes interesting and unexpected variations in your scratch art.
Then, because I cover everything up with a solid, generous wash of tempera paint,
I scratch away blindly, waiting to see what surprises are revealed.

Pick an idea.  I chose Anasazi petroglyphs.
Pick some colors that work for your idea. 
I chose some vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows 
that I've seen in rocks in the Four Corners area 
(where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah come together).
Pick a tempera paint to cover your colors.  Typically black is used. 
However, I chose a warm reddish brown that also occurs
on the bare desert rocks in my beloved Four Corners. 

Dandelion, Vivid Tangerine, Outrageous Orange, Peach,
Sunglow, Neon Carrot, Sunset Orange, and Scarlet
Aurora, Colorado USA
July 13, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


Start layering colors on your paper.
It's important to press hard with your crayons to get a good coating of color.
It's also important to cover the entire sheet of paper.
It's fun to let go.  There is no right or wrong way to do this!


Go Wild #1
July 12, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






Go Wild #2
July 12, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






Cover the Paper Completely
July 12, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The next step is easy and doesn't take nearly as much time as coloring with crayons.
I used about a quarter cup of tempera paint and added a drop of dish detergent.
The dish detergent makes the tempera paint adhere to the paper better.

Tempera Paint with a Drop of Dish Detergent
July 13, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Apply a generous coat of tempera, covering the paper completely.


Such Pretty Colors!
July 13, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






Done
July 13, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



It's important to let the paint dry overnight.  I left mine to dry almost 24 hours.

Today I gathered my scratching tools, a toothpick, a nut pick, and a manicure stick.
You have to experiment with different tools
to see what feels and works right for your piece.
I mostly used the manicure stick.
I also used a soft brush to sweep away the scratched tempera paint.

Brush, Nut Pick, Manicure Stick, and Toothpick
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



When I picked up the toothpick to make my first scratch, I hesitated.
I didn't have the piece planned out.
I only knew I wanted to start with an animal petroglyph I'd seen
from Monument Valley, a goat-like, horned creature.
I was a little scared to make that first tentative scratch.
It had been over a decade since I had last made a piece of scratch art,
and I was certain I was going to screw it up.
But I chose a spot and scratched.

Woo Hoo ~ It's Working!
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



Before I knew it, I was happily scritch-scratching away.
I lay a sturdy piece of white paper over the unworked areas while scratching.
It protects the tempera wash from accident-prone me.  


Surprising Variations in Color
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved





Now What?
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved






An Enigmatic Petroglyph
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved



I was really happy with my finished piece.
Considering I just jumped in and went for it, it turned out quite well.

The really surprising things about creating the petroglyph piece
was how much fun it was to do and how therapeutic the process proved.
I need to make more time in my life for creating art!

Ta-Da!
July 14, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved


I'll be taking a break from blogging for the next few weeks.
I'll have a small Insecure Writer's Support Group post on August 3rd,
and then I'll be back for real on Friday, August 12th.
If I have an opportunity to visit blogs, I will, but I can't promise it.

Happy creating everyone! 






Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Wednesday, August 3, 2022.



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




 

35 comments:

  1. Hi thank you so much for this tutorial-all new to me, and love your resutls very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It was so much fun to do! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial - and the stunning finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! I just found your comment in spam. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is amazing, stunning, and I think we all need to try something new in our lives. I hope it gets framed in a lovely wood surround and goes on the wall to be seen every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I am going to frame it. The more I look at it, the more I love it, and it reminds me of many things I've loved and enjoyed in the Four Corners and in teaching. So yes, it's getting framed. I hope that you are feeling better and looking forward, well are, enjoying you weekend! xox

      Delete
  4. Well can't say I've ever done art that way. Turned out great indeed. Got your own cave dwelling type pictographs now. I could at least do the covering the paper part. When it comes to scratching my stuff would probably still look like the cat did it lol

    Enjoy your break and good old NS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Canada has thrown an uncertainty at us by reviving random testing, so fingers crossed everything works out. Today, after a long haul, I am free of Covid symptoms. What a relief! The teacher in my would say just go for it, even if it looks like a cat scratched it ~ lol! I wonder what topic a cat would choose, mice, dogs, other cats? Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Your scratch art is magnificent, Louise! And thanks for the detailed tutorial on how exactly to do it! Those awesome petroglyphs are a perfect subject too. Enjoy your upcoming vacation in the maritimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I love petroglyphs, and I've been fortunate to see quite a few in the Four Corners area. I am so excited about our trip to Canada. I can't wait! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. OMGosh this is brilliant. I love the colors you used and the petroglyphs you made. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I had so much fun doing this piece. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I was never good at art 😔🎨🧑‍🎨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad to hear that, Adam. But you have other gifts, my friend! Have a great weekend. I hope you're getting a little sleep ~ Babies can be quite demanding!

      Delete
  8. Oh, these petroglyphs are so neat.
    What a great idea!
    Enjoy the weekend…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie! I hope you have an enjoyable weekend too!

      Delete
  9. ...these look straight out of a cave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom! I've seen petroglyphs in a cave. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Louise you are NUMBER ONE...Seriously, this was so fun to read and see! I never knew about this technique, and leave it to you to make Petroglyphs!!! This was so wonderful, thank you so much for sharing my friend! Enjoy your time off! ♥♥♥♥♥ (I'm so impressed!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! Your comment made my day! Thanks for choosing scratch art as a theme. It was irresistible for me. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. Louise, this was so much fun! I don't think I've ever seen this technique before. And how lovely that you shared details on how to do it. Enjoy your break! I hope all is well and I wish you a wonderful rest of the weekend. 🥰❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha, for all your kind words. I can't believe it ~ I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, and I'm already packed. The house is together, and I can spend my last day home relaxing. And all the traffic lights are still green! I can't remember the last time I was this together ~ lol! All is good. I hope you have a great week. Take care, my friend! ❤️🥰

      Delete
  12. I just love how you went with petroglyphs this week. What a cool page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Erika! I hope you are having a happy Monday!

      Delete
  13. Wow, this is so inspiring. I ove petroglyphs, always stopped when I discovered them during our many trips to the Southwest. Your technique is wonderful (it does remind me of what we did in kindergarten back in the 60s) and sounds easy enough. Maybe I should give it a try.
    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog - I'm glad you came by so I could discover your place here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carola! It was so much fun to work with petroglyphs. Rain's TAD has pulled me back not creating art again, and I'm so grateful for that. Happy creating!

      Delete
  14. I really like this! I love a good process, fun art and a result. Good job!

    Teresa @ https://journalingwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! It's great to hear from you!

      Delete
  15. I have been interested to see the different interpretations of scratch art on people's blogs and it has been fascinating - and it looks like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, David, it has been interesting to see how different people have interpreted scratch art. I hope you're having a good week.

      Delete
  16. Art that doesn't require perfection is my kind of art. This would be a neat idea to prepare the "canvas" and then take it into the desert and scratch the designs seen in the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty neat. Love the colours that you used

    ReplyDelete
  18. You mind has really beautiful vast window of imagination my friend and your astonishing energy when jumps through it everything seems possible, fascinating and exquisite!
    I so enjoyed how brilliantly and beautifully you have created this art dear Louise :) i can almost feel your affection and connection with sighting of these gorgeous creatures.
    Thank you for sprinkling your magical art of "how to live actually " with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You mind has really beautiful vast window of imagination my friend and your astonishing energy when jumps through it everything seems possible, fascinating and exquisite!
    I so enjoyed how brilliantly and beautifully you have created this art dear Louise :) i can almost feel your affection and connection with sighting of these gorgeous creatures.
    Thank you for sprinkling your magical art of "how to live actually " with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.