Friday, August 26, 2022

City of Roses


Yesterday, I was looking at my photos of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada,
which I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Terry and I haven't been there in a few years, and I miss this gorgeous place.

Victoria is known for many cultural and historical things, 
but I think of it at the City of Roses.
I've spent hours and hours in its lovely rose gardens, 
and I return to these gardens each time I visit Victoria.

City of Roses
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 12, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Pope John Paul II Hybrid Tea
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 12, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Yesterday, I was supposed to be eliminating photos 
that were too similar, poor shots, or blah,
but I find it difficult to trash a photo of a rose.
I'm embarrassed to think of how many rose photos I have in my collection.

One of my favorite rose gardens, the Premier's Rose Garden,
is hidden behind the British Columbia Parliament Buildings
which are home to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
Often I wander alone among the rose beds
enjoying the roses from baby buds to lush blowsy blooms.

Buxom Beauty Pink Hybrid Tea
Behind the Parliament Buildings
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
iAll Rights Reserved






Apricot Pink Grandiflora
Baby Buds to Blowsy Bloom
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I love and appreciate it when flowers are labeled in gardens.
I always want to know their names.
Fortunately the roses in Victoria's gardens are named.

Rose Beds Behind the Parliament Buildings
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Easy Going Yellow Floribunda
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Rose Beds Behind the Parliament Buildings
Easy Going Yellow Floribunda
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Souvenir de Baden Baden, Pink/White Hybrid Tea 
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Buxom Beauty Pink Hybrid Tea
September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Kosmos Fairy Tale White Floribunda 
 September 10, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



One of my favorite memories of Victoria was an unexpected random act of kindness.
I was walking down a street near Beacon Hill Park
and a woman cutting roses in her garden saw me passing her yard.
She snipped a brilliant red rose and gave it to me saying,
"Have a wonderful day!"


Not the Rose, but a Lovely Red One Nonetheless
Amour, Grand Red Hybrid
September 8, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






In a Rose Garden Somewhere in Victoria
September 8, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The theme for my friend Rain's Thursday Art Date this week is Gestures and Movement.
I'm sharing a photo for each.  There was no time for me to create art this week!

A welcoming gesture from a friendly greeter for visitors near the Ogden Point Breakwater.


Along the Waterfront
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 11, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I captured this movement photo with the zoom on my point-and-shoot camera,
braced inside a zodiac raft bouncing on waves.
It may not be my sharpest photo, but certainly it's one of my most dramatic shots.


An Orca Strikes
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 15, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


A talented artist, Nicole, who regularly participates in Rain's TAD,
posts Friday Face Off every week.
I thought I'd join in this week and share one of the sweetest faces I've ever photographed,
a darling Cambodian boy in a local market outside Siem Reap.

A Beautiful Cambodian Boy
A Local Market Outside Siem Reap, Cambodia
November 10, 2008
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Have a great weekend! 






Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Wednesday, September 7, 2022.



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




 


32 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Louise! Any town filled with roses must be a good town! I walk around here sniffing at the roses in neighbours' gardens, always so lovely! Have a great weekend, hope you are feeling well, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed my post, Valerie. I'm slowly improving as my doctors work with me. And Terry is doing great! He's off to pickleball in a few minutes. I hope. you have a great weekend too. xox

      Delete
  2. Ooh, you've got me wanting to go to British Columbia to see all the beautiful roses. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! It's so good to see you! I hope that you have a great weekend too! Take care!

      Delete
  3. That was nice of the lady to give you a rose indeed. They sure make for lots of great shots. I just leave my double photos or whatever haha stash grows and grows and grows. Orca sure was at the ready. Cute little guy indeed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pat, where you're at! I had to start eliminating photos. I was approaching 121,000 on my computer. Yikes! Have a great weekend, my rhyming friend!

      Delete
  4. Some amazing photos. The one with the building in the background could be a postcard. And cool shot of the orca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I couldn't believe I got that shot of the orca. Serendipity ~ well except for the poor porpoise. Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  5. ...Louise, you saw some fabulous roses! Portland calls itself the Rise City too. After our son graduated from college he lived in Cambodia and taught English. I told him that when I was his age I was trying not to go to Southeast Asia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Kudos to your son. Cambodia is a wonderful country and I long to go back. Its people have suffered terribly, but they have survived. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I am so happy you joined in FFO. I love all the faces of the roses and what a very nice lady to give you a rose. That seems so precious. I can see the soul of life on that boy's face. Children have that gift. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! Children are such pure souls. I'm thankful for the 25 years I spent teaching them. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  7. Victoria is probably my most favourite Canadian city. I love it! I haven't been there for a few years now and am overdue for another visit. Maybe next year, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying to Terry on Wednesday that we need to go back to Victoria again. I love that city! I hope you get back there soon too. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  8. I imagine the scent of these beautiful roses. When I see roses in my neighborhood I often stop in my walk and put my nose close to them. The fragrance is so delicious! I also appreciate if plants are labeled. When I plant something, I usually put the label next to it in the ground, and a neighbor told me that he really likes that because he could figure out some of the plants I put in there. And I always have the scientific name on hand as well which can be very helpful. Victoria is such a lovely city. It's been a long long time since I was there the last (and first) time - I think it was 2003, my daughter was still little, so we did more kid friendly things and ended up in the Bug Zoo which was a wonderful and interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Carola! I'm glad you had a chance to visit Victoria. I love that you found kid friendly things to do with your daughter. I have not been to the Bug Zoo in Victoria, although I took my third grade students to the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver a number of years. Every time I had to hold Rosie the tarantula on my hand to show my students that it was okay. I miss Rosie. Maybe I should go back and visit her ~ lol! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Those roses look lovely. I've only been in Eastern British Columbia, but need to make up for that. However, I enjoyed my time in Cambodia back in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you, Jeff! Cambodia is such a special place to me. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  10. Your photos of roses are magical. I can see why you can't get rid of any of those photos. My grandmother (grands raised me from birth) loved yellow roses, so I really enjoyed seeing an entire bed of these great yellow roses. Of course, they are all lovely. And the lady with her act of kindness. what a fabulous story.

    A really cute face on that little boy. I wonder what he is like today. Really, really great photos, especially of the Orca and that huge fish it caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment warmed my heart, Elizabeth. I, too, wonder what the little boy is like today. Thanks for your kind words about my photos. I saw that you are in Wichita. I have many wonderful memories of times I spent there and in western Kansas. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. These roses are so lovely. I'm with you about walking through rose gardens and enjoying the flowers. And wow, that is quite a fantastic photo of the orca strike. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! I dearly love roses. When I'm in Nova Scotia and have a chance, I love to go to Brier Island which on the westernmost tip of the province. The Nature Conservancy has a reserve there. If you go there in late July or early August there are thousands and thousands of wild roses blooming, and the fragrance is unbelievable! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. I have been to the gardens on Vancouver Island off the west coast of Canada and I have many beautiful pictures or the roses in their gardens, so I know whereof you speak when you say beautiful and loving it. I love some of the names given to the roses ... Buxum Beauty and Yellow Floribunda. Some Floriculturist has a sense of humor :) And, WOW, what a picture of the Orca ... Right place at the right time for sure ... The pensive face of the beautiful little Cambodian boy is priceless. You have a good eye, Louise. Stay well ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Andrea! You brightened my evening. I'm glad that you experienced Vancouver Island. Have a great week. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  13. Oh yes, I can even SMELL the roses! Very beautiful! I think you don't have to delete rose photos ;-)
    And the child photo is really lovely! <3
    Happy weekend and all the best from Austria
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-5-tag-9-bis.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Traude! You live in a beautiful country, one I still hope to visit. Have a happy and healthy week!

      Delete
  14. How gorgeous, Louise! I always enjoy you sharing photos of places you've visited. Victoria is one of the places I would love to visit. George and I have it on our list. Eventually we will make our way out west. It's just a matter of time! I hope you are keeping well and enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and George will love Victoria, Martha! Things are definitely improving for me, if not slowing down. Have a great week! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  15. I like your Victoria photos, I got a text today from my friend who is on vacation there, and I visited there decades ago. Lovely rose photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra! I hope your friend is having a good time in this beautiful city. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  16. Hi Fundy. didn't realise it was the first SWednesday of the month having been off line.
    Loved your post especially the pics of the flowers.
    Hopew you are keeping well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to see you back, Yvonne! Roses always make me happy. I especially love wild roses when their beautiful fragrance is carried on drifting mist or light fog. Have a good weekend, my friend. You have been missed.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.