Wednesday, July 5, 2023

IWSG: Wednesday, July 5, 2023 ~ Where Do Story Ideas Come From?

 





It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are PJ ColandoKim LavejardiGwen Gardner, Pat Garcia, and, Natalie Aguirre !
 
I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is: 
99% of my story ideas come from dreams. Where do yours predominantly come from? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy July, Everyone! 
If you celebrate July 4th, I hope you had lots of fun!
We're enjoying the holiday at home because we feel like taking it easy.

Kids Watching the Fourth of July Parade
Breckenridge, Colorado, USA
July 4, 2018, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Most of my story ideas come from day dreams,
meaning that when I'm doing mundane things like ironing or vacuuming,
ideas, scenes, emotions, and dialogue are running through my head.
I'll play things over and over until they feel right, especially dialogue.
Then I'll start writing them down.

Most of my writing is not fiction.  It's drawn from my life.
And again, I'm playing everything over and over in my mind.
I find I can draw more from my memories when part of me is occupied.
Cleaning the garage sets the mind free!

Something certainly put a big smile on my face this week.
The one and only Pat Hatt is back at it again,
adding new books to the over 100 books he has already published.

Two of Pat's Latest
Aurora, CO, USA
July 3, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


River and the Ms is a sweet adventure about two Westies, Murphy and Milo,
and their fearless companion, Meadow the cat. 
Their spoiled and easygoing lives are upended 
when this little black stray cat wanders in from the creek
intent on making herself permanently at home. 
As they scheme to get rid of River, unexpected trouble rumbles and flies in.
Are the threesome heroes or villains?
Will they rescue River or leave her to a tragic fate?

This well-illustrated tale is delightful, and it would have graced 
my second and third grade classroom library immediately.

River Meets Murphy, Meadow, and Milo


Pat's second book arrived yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to read it
beyond the first few pages.
It's setting up to be quite the adventure.

The inspiration behind this story is awesome.
If you know Pat, then you know he is a wonderful Uncle Pattie to his twin nephews.
They begged him to write an adventure story about them 
featuring a witch, a skunk, zombies, pirates, and Lord knows what else.

Skunked and the Witch's Curse


And, if you know Pat as a writer, you know he was up to the challenge.
I can already tell that his free-ranging imagination is spinning a unique and fun-filled adventure.



I know what I'm reading before I go to sleep tonight! 

Enjoy IWSG Day.  Stay happy, healthy, and safe.



Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com




 

39 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that Patt Hatt is writing again.
    And hooray for mundane tasks if it sets your writing muse free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! I was happy to see Pat writing again too! It's a good thing mundane tasks help me, because I seem to have a lot of them ~ lol! Have a great day, Sue. xo

      Delete
  2. These pictorial arts are quite fun to view

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, roentare! I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  3. Pat's an awesome storyteller. Cool he's putting out books again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is a great storyteller, Alex! I think he has put a lot of time and energy into his nephews in recent years. Rachel Carson would be proud of him! Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  4. That's so cool that you get ideas when you're cleaning. I solve problems in my story when I'm cleaning, taking a shower, walking, etc. Congrats to Pat on his new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for co-hosting today, Natalie! I hope you have lots of fun!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Louise! It's nice of you to promote Pat's books.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie! It's good to see you! I get a kick out of Pat's books. Take care!

      Delete
  6. Not too many books have skunks as central characters! They are overdue as literary heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debra! Pat is anything but conventional! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Those look like fun books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat's books look fun.

    You've lived and traveled an interesting life, so that gives you a lot to draw upon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, that is terrific. I sometimes day dream also when I am doing mundane things. All the best and keep daydreaming. It's healthy for you. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat! Thanks for co-hosting today! I hope you're having fun! Daydreaming helps keep me sane.

      Delete
  10. Cleaning is a great way to let the imagination fly. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anna! I hope that you are having an enjoyable IWSG Day!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations to Pat! Like you, most of my writing is not fiction, so it comes from research and experience. Jeff. https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeff! Like you, I do a lot of research, but that usually comes after my initial ideas. You are an awesome writer! Enjoy the day!

      Delete
  12. You staying home is rare lol but good to take it easy once in a while indeed.

    Funny how the mundane tasks can bring ideas on. Doing something mundane must just allow the mind to think back easier or something. I've had that happen a time or two. You sure have lots of adventures to draw on from life indeed.

    Glad the cat and Pat can make you smile haha or maybe the not so tiny humans and Pat for the second one. Thanks for the shout out. Glad the first was enjoyed and hopefully you enjoy the second too. Nice to get books out again indeed as I took a little break from going this way and that.

    And just shoot me a message on the insta thing if you want to snap pictures next week sometime. Only day I'm booked for sure next week is Tuesday and then maybe Friday. Back to going this way and that now haha but I'll stop in maybe October and get the other books I've got done in parts finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat! I'm arriving in NS early on the 23rd after a red eye from Calgary. I'll insta you when it gets closer. I am enjoying the second book. Didn't quite finish it last night. Lots of people are happy to hear that you are back writing again! Take care, my friend!

      Delete
    2. Why I'd think it was next week? lol bit off.

      Writing just took a back seat for a bit, well I still did it just not the amount, as life offline took priority. Good to know the cat still has the flow lol

      Delete
    3. Sometimes life does that, Pat. You have given a lot of time and love to your rugrats, and it would be hard to find a better use for that time. Those special years go so quickly, but the rugrat's memories will last a very long time. You still have the flow!!!

      Delete
  13. Daydreams can be a great source of inspiration. I hope you had a great fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lovely 4th ~ quiet, but spending lots of time with my favorite guy! I hope you had a good 4th too!

      Delete
  14. Pat Hatt knows where it’s at
    He’s a well-versed cat
    and that is that

    He’s also very inspiring, every time I hear his name
    Thanks for showcasing him!
    Happy July!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! Pat is definitely inspiring! Enjoy your summer!

      Delete
  15. I'd say my ideas come directly from day dreams than "night" or REM sleep dreams. But they actually come from several sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steven! Definitely daydreams for me. I have some vivid REM dreams, but nothing with the potential for a good story. I agree with you in that I think a lots of authors find ideas in several ways. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  16. I dont remember most of my dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember all of my dreams, but I remember a lot of them, especially the nightmares. Have a good weekend, Christine!

      Delete
  17. Doing things that occupy your body but leave the mind free seems to me a very good way to let ideas come, problems get worked out, etc. I do a lot of my planning and plotting, or my revision, while walking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca! Yes a free mind can work wonders when I'm working on a story. My problem with doing that while walking, especially in nature, is my naturalist/geological side takes over and I'm engrossed in what's happening around me. And I am never without my camera, so I'm recording all kinds of things. Have a happy summer, Rebecca!

      Delete
  18. precious friend Louise missed visiting you and reading your lovely posts !
    thank you so much for taking your precious time and dropping encouraging words for me they mean Lot to me !
    i respond to your comment yet i want to say that i am sorry for your loss as loosing a loved one is hardest thing indeed particularly when he is favorite of everyone in the family . words fail to convey the sorrow i felt ,hope you all retrieve from this grief and feel peace my friend!
    i am desperate to learn how your eyes are doing after surgery dear Louise !
    i wish from the bottom of my heart that may i can see you fit and fine just like you were sometimes ago ! may my kind god make it possible asap!!!
    i smiled while reading this yes it happens that while we are busy in routine physical chores our mind is free to roam and create it's own world within .i am not that regular and organized thinker because of my wild imagination that takes me beyond skies into other dimension of the universe .but when i was i know it takes lots of focus and practice to create fine piece of art from the raw material of thoughts unless you are pat who is a vibrant ocean of exciting thoughts wow i am impressed always with his astonishing energy .
    his books sound great !
    i will revisit to other posts tomorrow hopefully!
    hugs and love you sooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Baili! It was very difficult for my extended family to lose Brian. It's still shocking. My eye surgery is up in the air. I'm working from your oldest comment forward, so I explained what happened in an earlier post.. I have an appointment on August 9th with a new eye doctor who will likely be the one to do the surgery. When depends on my thyroid medication. "One day at a time" is my mantra. Meanwhile I'll cope. I can read my books with an eyepatch on one eye, and fortunately I can see my computer pretty well. Terry is very good about driving me around to appointments. Pat and I are planning to meet up in Nova Scotia. We've been online buddies since the beginning of my blog. It will be fun! I would love to meet you one day! Tomorrow is going to be crammed with packing and errands. If I don't get to visit your blog, I will do so when we arrive in Vegas. Hugs and love to you and your family! xoxox

      Delete
  19. Thank you my beautiful, brave and strong friend!
    Glad I could read this response. I am thankful that you are facing all the issues amazingly with extraordinary courage and wisdom. As God says that he test his man to his strength. May this be over as soon as possible my friend!
    May kind God keep you strong as always.
    You are hardly out of my thoughts specially when I pray!
    Love you! Hugs and tons of Healing energy to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Baili! You are a wonderful presence in my life. I value your friendship deeply. I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs to you and your family! xox

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.