Friday, August 18, 2023

Happy Smiling Faces!

Thousands of happy smiling faces lined the road greeting us
as we drove home from the airport after visiting Nova Scotia recently. 

Home again on Colorado's Beautiful High Plains
E-470, Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 3, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Colorado has enjoyed a cool summer with lots of rain and sunshine,
and millions of wild sunflowers have exploded along roads and highways
and in odd corners of disturbed ground.


A Sunflower Explosion
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Wild sunflowers are sustained by run-off moisture from the roads,
heat from the asphalt, and little competition from other vegetation.
They can outgrow noxious weeds like sweet clover and thistles.

The Common Sunflower (Helianthus annuus)
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


As I drove around on errands and to appointments last week, I became
more and more curious about this happy, cheerful plant dominating the landscape.
So on Tuesday I grabbed my camera and went on a sunflower hunt along Piney Creek.

Upper Pond Along "My" Section of Piney Creek
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I knew the sunflowers would not grow near the creek bed
because they don't like water-logged soil,
so I headed for a dry bank above the creek where I thought they might be.

Sunflowers Clinging to a Bank
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The gangly sunflowers clung to the bank, but not displaying the beauty I hoped to find.
So I headed up a gully and found hundreds and hundreds. 
VoilĂ !

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I followed another gully back to the trail that led to the power line right-of-way,
because I was getting worried about snakes and ticks.
After taking a brief break from the strong afternoon sun
in the shade of a cottonwood stand, I headed uphill for the power line. 

Cottonwood Stand
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

The last time I had walked this way on May 2nd, 
a large grading and restoration project blocked my way.

Land Restoration
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
May 2, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Today I found a new cement trail had been constructed 
beginning at the Douglas County line and running south.
It followed the power line down into marshland, 
straddled a stream running into Piney Creek, and wound up the other bank 
to link up with the trails in the Inspiration development.

The New Concrete Trail
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Sun Flowers Galore!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I followed the new cement trail down the hill, across the stream, and up the other bank: Sunflowers galore!


The New Stream Crossing
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 14, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





And Up the Other Side
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Wild sunflowers are beneficial to the environment in many ways,
one of which is land restoration.
Sunflowers are used as a forb component in reclaiming drastically disturbed lands, 
renovating ranges for domesticated animals, and other conservation practices
such as pollinator habitat for bees and other pollinators,
establishing permanent vegetation in areas of high erosion, 
and the restoration and management of declining and rare habitats. 
Sunflowers provide food to insects, birds, deer, and other wildlife.

Bees Love Wild Sunflowers!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Restoring an Eroding Slope
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Stabilizing Slopes
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The wild sunflower is native to North America,
and Native Americans first domesticated the plant as early as 3,000 BC.
They boiled and ate flower buds and raw seeds
and ground the seeds into flour for cakes and bread.
They drank an infusion of the plant that eased
rheumatism and chest pain and stimulated appetites.
Different parts of the sunflower plant were boiled to make yellow, purple, and black dyes.
Dried sunflower stalks were used as building materials.


© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Spanish explorers took the wild sunflower to Europe around 1500.
By 1716 an English patent was granted for squeezing oil from the plant's seeds.
Peter the Great is credited with popularizing the sunflower 
as an ornamental plant in the 18th century.
The Russian Orthodox Church added to its popularity 
by forbidding the consumption of most oil foods during Lent
and leaving the sunflower off the prohibited list. 

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


By 1830, sunflower oil was produced on a commercial scale in Russia.
Eastern Europeans and Russians who had emigrated to America
imported the commercial sunflower because it was a protein-rich food for animals.
By the 1920s the US was growing commercial crops of sunflowers,
followed by Canada in 1930.


© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Some of my happiest hours are spent roaming along the trails in my area,
and hunting for sunflowers on a gorgeous August afternoon is hard to beat.

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Smiling Happy Faces!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Thank goodness I have an understanding husband who takes me out for dinner
when I arrive home hot, happy, and too tired to cook.

A Club Sandwich and Sauteed Vegetables to Share
Parkway Bar and Grill
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


A Muley Walking Past Our Car
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
August 3, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I was slammed this week with appointments and commitments, 
so I'm still catching up with last week's comments.  So sorry! 
Have a great weekend!




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! đź¤ž



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 


36 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking us on this beautiful excursion. Sunflowers always make me happy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! The simplest things can give us such joy! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. You have done well with the flowers. The sceneries are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roentare! Your kind comment means a lot!

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize so much of the sunflower could be consumed. I don't think we get the small ones here, just the big ones. They do add a beauty to the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to learn that too, Alex! I can remember driving through Kansas many years ago and seeing giant fields of sunflowers all facing the sun. What a sight! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. And of course, the sunflower is the national flower of Ukraine. Slava Ukraini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that, Debra! The poor people in Ukraine. My heart goes out to them! Have a great weekend with your Rare One!

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh the faces of sunflowers and the muley. I haven't seen a muley in awhile. Mostly white and black tail here. A truly wonderful post. Thank you for sharing with FFO. Don't forget to sign in with MR. Linky. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I've seen this doe around a number of times this year. I recognize her from the notch in her ear. I adore muleys. They have such spectacular ears! Hailing from back east, I only knew white and black-tailed deer. Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful sunflowers, I love seeing them on the meadows and fields here, too. Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! There's something special about sun flowers! Have a great weekend! Hugs back at you!

      Delete
  7. How pretty! I wish we had a place like that to walk. And that it wasn't so hot and humid we don't want to go outside anyway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to walk outside in heat and humidity either, Diane! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  8. ...Mother Nature did a fabulous job creating sunflowers. I thank her every summer. That club sandwich looks devine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tom, Mother Nature did great! The club sandwich was yummy. Terry and I always split it because it's so big. The sautéed veggies were a substitute for fries. How can you argue when your spouse wants something healthy? lol. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. It must be great to have all those happy faces welcoming you home. And it must be great to have so many wild sunflowers, something we don't exactly have here in the northeast. I wish we did, they are beautiful and say August to me. These are great photos. I hope you have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! It's definitely mid-August and winter's coming. I can already see the light changing and the days growing shorter. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. These are beautiful pictures Louise. The sunflower reminds me of the sunflowers that we had in our garden when I was brought up in Barry, South Wales, they were about five feet high with huge flowers. When you spoke of the indigenous people of America, and how they used the plant, it reminded me of when we lived in Australia. The Aborigine people used to eat a certain grass which would heal them from what we call 'gastro enteritis' . Everything is on this earth for a reason, even what we might call a 'weed'. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, Brenda! And thanks for your kind words about my pictures. I had such fun taking them. Indigenous people everywhere have a deep understanding about their individual ecosystems. We could learn a lot from them if we listened. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  11. What a great place to live near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! Terry and I are fortunate to live where we do. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  12. I never realized how many types of sunflowers there are. Besides Ukraine, they are the state flower of Kansas, where I live. I really enjoyed your desire to seek out sunflowers in your area of CO.

    Lovely sandwich and a great mule face. Have a lovely weekend, dear Louise. Don't worry about visiting here. I know you will be by when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind and understanding comment, Elizabeth. I have seen marvelous fields of sunflowers in your state. I have a special place in my heart for Kansas. I was fortunate to spend time in Hodgeman, Ness, and Ford counties and in Wichita when I was working as a petroleum geologist on oil rigs. The people I met were warm and welcoming, just lovely to me. Which was awesome, because I was going through one of the hardest times in my life. I found Kansas to be a healing place. Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  13. SUnflowers have always been a favorite of mine, but there was much I didn't know about them so I loved not only your gorgeous photos but the wonderful and interesting commentary you shared. I have wild sunflowers in my yard at home -- they just popped up; I have NO idea where they came from! And I love seeing patches of them on a road or a field. Your excursions look like such fun and yes, yielded much beauty. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanie! You made my day with your encouraging words! I hope you have the best weekend!

      Delete
  14. My wife and I had one of my favorite dates back when we were dating in a sunflower field 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet is this, Adam! I'm glad that you have such good memories!

      Delete
  15. Good husband!!!
    Luv the sunflower explosion

    muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure many faces welcoming you back home. Never knew there were so many facts about sun flowers. Only place I've seen a bunch is the valley I think. You sure have the pretty spot to walk too, always something to see.

    Hopefully you guys are rested up and ready for your next adventure. Nyers really wanted to know what type of poop the fossil was, fyi lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that you're back from touring around. I hope you had fun. I'll check with Barb's Pat, because he knows exactly where the fossil come from in Saskatchewan. If I find out anything I'll let you know. Have a good week, my friend!

      Delete
  17. precious friend Louise what a delightful post brimming with joy :)))
    i loved each shot ,thank you sooooooooo much for sharing the bursting beauty of your surroundings as i am already in deep love with sunflowers and i was constantly smiling and chuckling while scrolling down :)
    i a also thankful for history of the plant you shared ,i was unaware of more of it
    the deer photo is awesome as well but these joyous pics will keep shining in my heart for long so thanks again !
    hugs and best wishes!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Baili! I'm so glad you enjoyed the sunflower photos. I had so much fun taking them. I had a special fondness for that particular deer. It has a notch in one of its ears, so I can recognize it. When I was taking the sunflower photos, I startled a doe which was with her fawn in some tall grasses and bushes. Before I could snap a photo, they had vanished into taller bushes. But I will always remember seeing the mother and her spotted child. Wishing you lots of love and happiness!

      Delete
  18. Greetings Louise. Its Andrew again. You are so knowlegdable about the sunflower and it's edibility to many species including humans. They are so beautiful and you take great shots! I'm so glad you have so much nature on your doorstep and closely beyond, as I too love my walks outside in nature - as evidenced in my pieces. Thank you for your well wishes and concerns for my welllfare, it is most welcomed my friend. My community Psychiatric Nurse has lined my a place half an hour away from Chester (my home city) in Northwhich, Cheshire, so it's not too bad. It's supposed to be a nice area to live apparently, so that will be nice for me with my recovery. Most of my family have cars, so I'll still see them often! The hospital i'm in is like a halfway-house, which is less constrictive than your normal psychiatric hospital. I get on with all the staff and patients alike, and am going to an outside gymnasium near enough eveyrday - they say healthy body healthy mind! Thank you again for brightening up my day with your beautifuly taken photographs of a flower that I really like! The club sandwhich looks so delicious, you have a wonderful partner in Terry! Hope to be posting again soon. Blessing to you my good friend. Lots of love and best wishes, Andrew. Love love. Take good care. Sorry you've been so busy. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Andrew! I enjoyed reading your comment! It's good to hear from you! I really believe in healthy body, healthy mind, and I remember how much you enjoyed your walks outside and sharing your photos and poetry. Hopefully there will be nice places to walk in Chester. I'm glad that you will be near your family. You've been through a lot, and hopefully things will be easier and better now. I'm glad that you enjoyed my sunflower pictures. It's been very hot here the last few days. We have a heat advisory here in Aurora, well throughout the Denver area, so I've not been walking outside. I'm looking forward to the fall and cooler weather. Terry and I have our 39th wedding anniversary on September 1st. We both shake our heads at how fast time has flown. I look forward to your posting again and reading your poetry. Take care, my friend! I'm rooting for you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.