Friday, December 15, 2023

Here's to a Christmas Couch!

Hi, Everyone!  I never dreamed I'd be away this long!
I'm looking forward to catching up with my blogging buddies.
Terry and I had a wonderful time cruising on Royal Caribbean's Ovation of the Seas
from Honolulu to Sydney via French Polynesia and Wellington.
It was the adventure of a lifetime for sure!

Terry and I 
Motu Ofetaro, a Public Park 
Near Raiatea, French Polynesia
October 21 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Motu Ofetaro, French Polynesia
October 21 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


We arrived home from Sydney with more than we bargained for:  white pneumonia.
And, in my case, it spread into my ears and sinuses causing chronic infections.
I never do anything halfway ~ lol.
I was stone deaf for a week, 
but my hearing has been slowly recovering over the past four weeks.

We left Sydney on JetStar at 5:25 pm on Monday, November 13th on a nine hour flight
and landed in Honolulu at 6:05 am on the same day! 
We were supposed to spend the day and night in Waikiki before flying home on the 14th,
but Terry discovered there was a flight boarding for Phoenix
in an hour and it continued on to Denver.
We joined the check-in line, and by the time we reached the counter,
Terry had scored tickets for the flight.  I so love Southwest Airlines!

Heading Home on Southwest Airlines
Sand Island (left), Waikiki (middle) and Diamond Head (right)
November 13,  2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Six hours later, still on the 13th, we landed in Phoenix.
But the continuing flight was nixed,
and we had to hoof it to another concourse for a new plane.
Two hours later we were landing at Denver International Airport!
Home!

I'm sure the passengers around me were glad to get away from me.
I had a bad asthma attack during the flight, and my throat and ears hurt so bad
that I was plugging my ears and opening and shutting my mouth like a fish out of water.
The air around me reeked of the cough drops I was chowing down.

Sixteen hours in the air, and it was still the 13th!
And all our bags made it!

Denver International Airport
8348 miles or 13435 kilometers ~ as the crow flies!
January 10,  2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

We reunited with our bags, caught the train to Gateway Park, and headed to our car.
My little white Forester looked so good in the dark and cold.
Until we got closer.
Everything inside it was tossed, the doors were unlocked,
and the steering column was badly damaged.
My beloved Subie was inoperable.
The vandal(s) must have been scared off, 
because a heavy cross peen hammer lay on the driver's seat.

Terry called and reported the break-in to the Aurora police
(Like the police had time to worry about a vandalized car!).
Next he called our insurance company and reported the incident.
Then he called Uber, and fortunately someone picked up our ride.
It was 11:00 pm when the Uber driver pulled up.  
I walked away from my Forester and never saw her again.

My Forester on in Our Garage
on the Day Terry Retired
February 20  2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

We walked into our home, turned up the heat, turned on the water, and fell into bed.
The longest day of my life, literally, was a good 40 hours,
compliments of the International Dateline.

I couldn't get out of bed Tuesday morning.
Terry crawled out very early, while dealing with pneumonia himself.
He drove to the park-and-ride, met an AAA tow truck, and followed it
to Speedy Roo Motorsports where we've had our cars serviced for twenty years. 
The owner Dave made Terry an offer and bought my Subie to part it out.
At twenty-one years old, my Forester wasn't worth salvaging.
Dave's now keeping his eyes out for another Forester for me.

Terry came home and fell into bed beside me.
I don't know how he got through getting the car dealt with.
Lord love him!

And then he rallied and took such good care of me,
bringing me food, coffee, and medicine for three days
before dragging me out of bed and carting me to urgent care (more antibiotics),
then nine days later to my primary care doctor (back to my old friend prednisone), 
and then five days later to an otolaryngologist or ENT 
(almost two hours of hearing testing, but no ruptured eardrums ~ whew!).

Terry cared for me until I until I got well enough to make dinner for him ~ lol!
Terry is the best, with me through the ups and downs, highs and lows!

Definitely a High!
Riding the NorthStar on Ovation of the Seas
300 Feet Above Sea Level
October 19, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Terry Walks the Track, 
While the NorthStar Hovers in the Air
Ovation of the Seas
October 18, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




It's a long Way Down!!!
Riding the NorthStar on Ovation of the Seas
300 Feet Above Sea Level
February 20  2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Our NorthStar Ride Included a Surprise Proposal!!!
Riding the NorthStar on Ovation of the Seas
October 19, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


While we were in Sydney, we stayed at Quest St Leonards, a lovely apartment hotel.
Our room came with a compact kitchen.
Located minutes from a grocery store, restaurants, and the train station,
Quest was literally a godsend, because when Terry was too sick to get out of bed,
I could run to Rôll'd for hot curry chicken soup
or stop at the nearby grocery store and load up on Kleenex, mandarins, and pastries.

Our Room at Quest St Leonards
November 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Curried Chicken for the Soul from Rôll'd
So Good for Soothing a Sore Throat 
November 6, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Rôll'd in Forum Plaza 
St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia



A kind clerk at Quest gave us the address of the medical clinic he had gone to for years.




We had no problem getting into the clinic the next day,
and we're quickly examined by a kind Dr. Irina al Muderis ~ 
white pneumonia, both of us.
We left with prescriptions which we picked up in short order.

Said the receptionist as we were getting directions to the pharmacy,
"We're a caring and giving people, and we didn't want to give you this!"
OMG, I love Aussies!

The Med Clinic in St Leonards
November 6, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Now as an American I was thinking, 
Country on the other side of the world, 
no local insurance, a doctor's examination for two,
covid tests for two, and antibiotic prescriptions for two ~
What the hell is this going to cost? 

Take a seat before I tell you:
$160 at the clinic and $40 at the pharmacy in Australian dollars, 
or $129.83 in American dollars!
Did I say I'm in awe of Australia?

So fortified with antibiotics and determination, we went on to further adventures.

A Koala ~ Asleep, of Course!
Taronga Zoo, Sydney, Australia
November 11, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

So, what's this got to do with a Christmas couch?
About three weeks after we returned home, 
I went downstairs and started dragging boxes out of our Christmas closet.
Terry put his foot down ~ no six-foot tree this year!
He insisted that I take it easy and give myself a break,
because I was a long way from 100%.
So I have a Christmas couch!

Our Christmas Couch
Aurora, Colorado,USA
December 9, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






A Favorite Piece of Art Hooked by Ida,
One of the Talented Rug Hookers,
at the Historical Society & Old Temperance Hall Museum
in Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia  
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Of course, there is forever energy and time for me to display 
the sweet tree my mother gave me the last Christmas she was alive.
It looks wonderful beside the Santa that my nephew and niece, 
Neil and Jeannie, gave us when we were in Calgary for Christmas two years ago. 

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

We're both doing much better and looking forward to spending Christmas
in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with Terry's sister Noreen, Cathal, 
and our niece and nephews Deidre, Kevin, and Conor.

A Favorite Christmas Past
Noreen (left), Kevin, Cathal, Conor, and Deirdre
Breckenridge, Colorado, USA
December 24, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


What a wild year it has been!
I'm so grateful to be alive and kicking at seventy-three
and looking forward to more adventures in the coming year!


Rain's theme is Christmas Lights, so here are ours from last year.
(I have none this year.)

Christmas Lights
Aurora,  Colorado, USA
December 24, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


And for Nicole, two special faces I found in an old box recently:

Terry's Parents, Marie and Edgar Barbour
on Their Honeymoon
Niagara Falls
September 1939
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

And just because I think it's amazing, this will give you an idea 
of just how big Royal Caribbean's Ovation of the Seas is:

The Ovation of the Seas Passes Behind a Famous Sydney Icon
Sydney Harbour, Australia
November 10, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Enjoy the holiday season and have a great weekend!




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! 🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

   


20 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful experience altogether

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the best time, Roentare! I had hoped to go to Melbourne and maybe connect with you, but we didn't have enough time, white pneumonia or not. Next time we have to spend more time in Australia. It's an amazing country, and the people are wonderful! Happy holidays!

      Delete
  2. I love your Christmas couch, Louise, especially the Smith's Cove hooked rug! But sorry to hear that both you and Terry were sick with pneumonia. It's impossible not to get sick with something on a cruise ship -- they are just like a big petrie dish. And that marathon trip home! My gawd, that would have killed me. And your poor vehicle! Wow, you've had a bad run, but glad to hear you're at least feeling better now and no ruptured eardrums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debra! It's always wonderful to hear from you! We could literally hear the spread of the bug on the ship because the coughing expanded everywhere. I'm not good at moderation, and I wanted to experience everything. Well I did ~ lol! You should have seen me performing live on a stage dancing to Michael Jackson's Thriller on Halloween (fake flash mob scene). Four classes and a lot of practice, and I was still pretty bad. But we were zombies ~ so who cares! I hoe that you are enjoying a good weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Sorry you were so sick and your car was vandalized. That really sucks. And idiots for breaking into such an old vehicle. Glad the rest of the trip was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip was awesome, Alex. And even the bad stuff had silver linings. Why vandals went after my car, I have no idea. Subarus are very reliable and long-lasting cars. Maybe they needed parts for theirs ~ lol! I'm over being angry and sad. There's much worse in life, and I'll get another. Not new though. It's been decades since I've had a new car. I know that you will enjoy this Christmas season! Take care! Have fun!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an amazing trip. And sorry you came home to vandalized car. And you have a lousy infection (or 2). Not fun. But the trip sounds amazing, and I hope later you share more photos. That's one long day of travel, but then Australia is so far away. Have a lovely Christmas in Santa Fe too. I love Santa Fe, and I bet it's amazing at Christmas. I hope you are also feeling better too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you, Erica! I've only been to Santa Fe a couple of times, so I'm excited about visiting. Terry's sister and husband bought a condo there about a year ago. They rent it out when they're not staying there. We've spent Christmases with them in a number of interesting places. It's always fun. I plan to share a lot more photos. I thought it was important to share why I was away for so long. Yesterday and today I'm feeling lots of energy for the first time in so long. Energy is my middle name, so I am grateful to feel it again. Have a lovely Christmas season!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What an ordeal. Terry is a keeper for sure. Such a good guy. I am sorry about your car and that you both got sick. On the other hand so glad you got medical attention. It seems that medical is better and less expensive in so many countries other than the US. I love your Christmas displays and hope you are both feeling much better. A car will come your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I feel more like my old self every day. I was shocked at how quickly Terry and I got into a clinic and how reasonable the prices were. I couldn't believe it, and I was very grateful! Part of my problem is I won't give up. If I'm determined to do something, like climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I'll crawl up it on my belly if I have to. Fortunately I didn't have to ~ lol! But I ignore my body, until I collapse ~ not good! I saw amazing art everywhere. Seeing all the ways people express themselves with art is one of the great joys of traveling. I often thought of you as I took it all in. Happy weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  6. It is lovely to see a post from you, though it is definitely a mixed bag. I am thrilled that you had a good trip, and so very sorry about the pneumonia and the vandalised car.
    I love your Christmas couch and Terry is most definitely a keeper - and he would say the same about you.
    Have a wonderful time in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Sounds like an amazing trip except for the pneumonia. I still haven't blogged our 3 cruise/2 month European vacation. 4000 photos to slog through. I had COVID but a mild case, nothing like pneumonia you both got. Then to get back to your car - UGH!! Glad you're on the mend and can look back at the good parts of your trip. Oh, are you living in Colorado now??

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...wow, I was affraid that you had run away and joined the circus. It good to see you back. What a trip, you do thing up in style. Take care and enjoy a wonderful Christmas. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of white pneumonia and after a little research I found out it's called this way because the infected lung shows up white on an x-ray. I'm sorry that you had such an ordeal, but I'm glad that you're feeling better. Your husband sounds like such a wonderful guy! Good for him (and you) that he put his foot down when it came to the Christmas tree. Your Christmas couch is lovely. That cruise ship, on the other hand, would give me a full blown anxiety attack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you managed to enjoy some of your trip in spite of illness and vandalism

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas Louise! What a wonderful trip you guys had. Glad you are feeling much better. Loves you your sister Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, white pneumonia and losing your hearing must have been scary. And traveling while sick, I can only imagine how miserable you had to feel. But, that said, Aussies are awesome and I am headed there in January. I can't wait! The Cruise Ship is amazing. I haven't ever taken a Cruise as I get sea sick in a row boat, so I would probably be flat on my back the whole Cruise. Then to come home to find your car vandalized ... my goodness, Louise ... how much can a person take? But good to see you are snapping back and your Christmas couch is lovely. We stopped having trees years ago ... to old (and lazy) to mess with it. So I have a little wooden tree with tiny little lights on it that I put out. I love Christmas for kids, but for my FH and me, not so much. This year we have our Granddaughter with us so I will have to put more effort into it for her ... but sadly, I think of it as work. Oh what has happened to my Christmas spirit :( So glad you are home and well and God Bless Terry for caring for you even through it all. And OMG $129 was all it cost you ... can you even imagine what it would have cost in the States? We must be doing something wrong here ... like Medical care for profit. What a Crock! Living in Colorado, you have a chance of a White Christmas. Hope you ae able to enjoy a quiet, restful rest of your Holidays.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you had the best time.
    I'm with you, I would have vegged too.
    Instead of bed, likely the new couch.
    Same idea though. Resting up.
    Wonderful to see your pictures.
    So glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez, you really went through the ringer and then some. I figured it was either sickness or you got stuck somewhere in the middle of the ocean after being off blogland for so long.

    That sure isn't a bad bill in the land down under. That is one big ship too. Sounds like you had some fun times and looks like it too, even with the crummy germs. Hopefully you stay on the mend and keep feeling better.

    I'm sure Santa doesn't mind putting the gifts under a couch lol or maybe on it.

    I came back from NY with the plague, but it was easier than the last time I had good old covid. So far anyway. Who knows with that crap.

    Enjoy your time with family. Hope You and Terry have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and that stinks that some wank er did that to your vehicle too. So much in this post haha forgot to say that

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.