Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 2013 Scavenger Hunt: Cambodia

Hey!  June has been crazy~busy, 
so I was unable to get out to take pictures 
for the June Scavenger Hunt.
(I do have photos for the hunt though!)

I did, however, have a chance late at night, 
to read John Shors' extraordinary and beautiful book 
called Temple of a Thousand Faces.


It's set in Cambodia beginning in 1177 
during the life of Jayavarman VII before he reigned as king of the Khmer Empire from 1181-1218.  

The story unfolds as the Cham successfully invade Cambodia and "Jayavar" tries to free his people
from the brutal Cham occupation.  

The Cham are an ethnic group in Southeast Asia 
whose descendants today are found mainly 
in the Kampong Cham province in Cambodia 
and in central Vietnam.


I was fortunate to travel to the Kingdom of Cambodia
several years ago with my husband Terry in November of 2008.

    Source (book jacket photo):  Amazon


Our guide was a remarkable young woman named Soluy Loeurt.

In a few long days Soluy shared her passion 
for her incredibly beautiful people and country 
with Terry and me.

Soluy also taught me how 
to use my first and new digital camera.
We shared many laughs 
over this new digital adventure for me.
It is my hope to return to Cambodia
and spend time with Soluy at the school where she teaches.

So I hunted through my Cambodian photographs 
using June's scavenger list to share some of our memories.
(Sorry if I broke any rules for the scavenger hunt!)



 Terry, Soluy, and I at the Siem Reap International Airport
just before departing from the Kingdom of Cambodia.



Thanks to Jill 
and her Made with Love blog
for setting up the hunt.


Scavenger Hunt June 2013:  Cambodia

1.  Purple
Sparkly, Purple~ly Sandals




Surely there are no more beautiful faces in the world 
than the faces of children.
Although dogs can't be too far behind!




  


2.  Sixty
This image of the Hindu demon Ravana 
has at least sixty fingers and thumbs.

The photo above was cropped from my full photo below.
The full photo is of the east-facing pediment of the southern library of Banteay Srei in Cambodia.  "A pediment is an architectural element that is triangular and supported by columns above a doorway or opening."  Source: Supreme Master Television




Pediment:  Shiva seated on Mount Kailasa trapping the demon king Ravana and stopping him from shaking the mountain.
Source:  Wikipedia

Banteay Srei is a Cambodian temple 
built in the 10th century and located in the area of Angkor.  
It is dedicated to the Hindu god, Shiva.  
The temple is considered to be the jewel of Khmer art.  Source:  Wikipedia



3.  Little
A little monk running down stairs
in Angkor Wat, Cambodia.



Same little monk with his little buds moments before.



4.  Eyes
Small Cambodian Child with Beautiful Eyes
Country Market, Cambodia



5.  Animal
Monkey on the sandstone causeway 
leading to the west and main entrance of Angkor Wat
near Siem Reap, Cambodia



Just for fun I have included a photo of an animal I find fascinating: 
Asian elephant with his malmout (and me), Cambodia.






6.  Architectural Detail
Devata, Central Sanctuary,
South Side, Banteay Srei, Cambodia

Banteay Srei means Citadel of Women or Citadel of Beauty.
Devatas and apsaras are pictured 
on many architectural details in Banteay Srei.  
A devata is a minor female deity in Indian mythology 
often depicted standing.  
An apsara is a celestial dancing girl in Indian mythology 
often depicted dancing.  
Devatas along with apsaras
are common motifs in Khmer art 
decorating temples and other religious buildings in Cambodia.    Source:  Wikipedia 


Closeup of the Devata's Face



7.  Ring
These duck eggs are boiling in a pot 
sitting on a ring above container of fire.
Local country market near Siem Reap, Cambodia.



8.  Light
Angkor Wat at Sunrise
viewed from the northern reflecting pool



9.  Rooftops
Cambodian Rooftops at Siem Reap International Airport



10.  Ice Cream
Sorry ~ No Ice Cream
at This Local Country Market
Near Siem Reap, Cambodia:
Just a local favorite, 10-day duck boiled in the pot (ring) above.
And, yes,  Terry and I went for it!


   
      Soluy:  Yum!                    Terry:  Likes it!                        Me:  Not Sure!



11.  A Tombstone
"Tombstones" at Ta Prohm, Cambodia
Ta Prohm is a temple located near Siem Reap, Cambodia.
This temple remains much like it was when found in the jungle.
The Film Lara Croft:  Tomb Raider 
was partly filmed on location at Ta Prohm.


Terry and Me, Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm



12.  Art
Art for Sale Near Prasat Bayon, Cambodia


I can't wait to see everyone's photographs this month!

Here's the list for July:
Black, 11, Something very old, Something bright, Coins, Technology, Numbers, Wheels, The great outdoor, Smile, Umbrella, Feet.


A Tired Terry and Soluy
Near Sunset at Angkor Wat

44 comments:

  1. Some great shots indeed
    Must have been great to see at your feed
    And the monkey looks to be chowing down
    As you scavenged away at your town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat,
      where you're at!
      Someday, sooner than later, by Scott,
      I'll get back to Cambodia and Angkor Wat!

      Delete
  2. I don't know if it's against the rules but I loved looking at them all the same.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Gill! I always struggle with rules! I'll play by them in July though! Have a good week!

      Delete
  3. Lovely pics my friend. I love the shot of the art sale!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! Cambodia was an amazing place and full of contradictions! Loved your post today on the resiliency of the broken heart. Reading all the comments was fascinating. Take Care!

      Delete
  4. My favourite picture, that's OK isn't it? Is ~~~~~~~ the monk boy in orange running down the steps, the grey steps!! LOVE IT!!

    You 2 are so fortunate to be able to travel and visit these exotic places. Your friend Soluy looks like a sweet heart. You are so lucky to have her as aguide.

    Sorry June was such a busy time for you. Sometimes 'this' just happens and life has to be dealt with one way or another. If blogging starts to interfere with life then take a break, I have a few times. Cleanses the soul and mind and refreshes everything!

    Now pop by my CANADA DAY post tomorrow for a wee laugh at the end, as I make fun of 'us' Canadians, eh!!!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there tomorrow for sure, Ron! I always enjoy Canadians making fun of themselves. Some Americans take themselves way too seriously! I plan to do more posts about Soluy and her work with school children. She is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. I absolutely loved Cambodia! Take care!

      Delete
  5. It was really interesting to see scenes from Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! One of the funnest things about blogging is seeing the world from so many perspectives. I am loving all the fascinating glimpses I'm seeing through the photos of fellow scavenger hunters! Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. Amazing photos, such an interesting collection. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy! It's great to hear from you. I enjoyed your photos too! I'm glad that I stumbled across the scavenger hunt. It's fun to meet people from around the world. Have a good one!

      Delete
  7. Lovely post. My experience with Cambodia is related only to 'The Killing Fields" so it was nice to see how the country looks now. So how did the duck taste?? My imagination doesn't seem to stretch that far! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francie! I read about Angkor Wat when I was five or six, and I was determined that someday I would go there. Then came the Killing Fields. My friend Soluy's parents survived that period. She takes her students to see sites from that terrible time. The duck tasted like chicken. The woman who prepared it for us added fresh herbs, and it was better than it looked. The tiny bones and feather bits were distressing, but I avoided those! Soluy told me that when she was small, if they ran out of food, they ate whatever they could find in the jungle including spiders. We are so fortunate. I love Asia. It's people are warm and wonderful. I forgot to say on your blog that I didn't know the Laura Secord story. It's amazing what people can do when they have to. It's not about being afraid, but being afraid and doing it anyway. Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  8. Sorry I have just amended next months list, have taken out construction as we had it the month before last and add coins instead.Thanks Greenthumb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see your photos of Cambodia, what an interesting place. I really like your photos of ring, little and eyes. Thanks for taking part in this months Scavenger Hunt Greenthumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I am having so much fun with your scavenger hunt. I'm getting to meet interesting people and learn new things. Thank you for organizing it! We've just recently gone through our summer solstice ~ so I guess you've just gone through your winter solstice. Someday I'm going to make it to Australia and see the southern stars! Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you showed us part of your time in Cambodia for the challenge, and I'm looking forward to more posts from this special trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Terry! I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos! I definitely plan to do some more! I hope all at Moondance Ranch are enjoying this lovely cool weather! I have a friend doing a road trip throughout southern California and Nevada right now. It is HOOTTT!!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What interesting photo's. My father is going to Cambodia later this year and I think he's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Fiona! I hope that your father has an awesome time in Cambodia. I have to catch up on everybody's entries for the scavenger hunt this month. I unexpectedly landed in the hospital this week. AOK now though. I hope that you are having a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  13. Lovely photos, I especially like the elephant one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LBM! Elephants are the coolest! Sorry I'm behind on responding to comments and seeing all the scavenger hunt posts ~ unexpectedly landed in the hospital this week. AOK now ~ and I'm looking forward to catching up on anything.
      Take care!

      Delete
    2. ...catching up on everything!

      Delete
  14. Some great photos there and I'm glad you decided to hunt from your archive. I love all the ones with the children, particularly Eyes - she's just so gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I love taking pictures of children. They are such pure souls. I'm catching up on comments and posts, after an unexpected trip to the hospital. I'm AOK now, but behind in lots of things. I hope that you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  15. Your photos Louise of this beautiful country are amazing! And I with Ron on this (surprise surprise!!lol) that the young Monk and steps is National Geographic worthy!! Seriously, Louise....you have a great eye (and that other one ain't bad either!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouraging words, Jim. I'll remember the National Geographic one forever. I actually considered a career in photography, but life shot me off in another direction. It will always be an important part of my life! You have an excellent eye, too, my friend!

      Delete
  16. Love your photos of Cambodia, a place I have never been. Like the way you have found a photo for all this months challenge. Not sure about the boiled duck though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy! Thank you for your kind comment. I'm having so much fun with the scavenger hunts. I'm going to be catching up on everyone's posts in the next few days! I took an unexpected side trip to the hospital for several days this week ~ AOK now. I hope that you are having a great weekend.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you AWIML! I'm heading over to see your blog. Thanks for stopping by! Have a good one!

      Delete
  18. An absolutely wonderful post and photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Linda, and for leaving such a kind comment.

      Delete
  19. I enjoyed seeing your photos of Cambodia -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Cambodia is a country I long to return to! I hope that you are enjoying your weekend!

      Delete
  20. Interesting pictures! Enjoyed going through them. Love to see and learn about the customs and traditions of different countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MQ! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a kind comment. I visited your blog and saw that you are a very fine photographer. I was surprised and delighted to see your header of Delicate Arch in Utah. It's a wonderful place! Have a good one!

      Delete
  21. Hey Louise!
    I LOVE this post!!! I especially love the photos of the children! Also, love the photo of you with a big smile, you can tell you are so thrilled to be there (posing with your husband and also with the elephant!) I love elephants too!
    What a fascinating place to visit. Thanks for sharing.
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kay! How wonderful to find your comment! Aren't the children gorgeous? Children everywhere are such beautiful creations. Elephants are awesome! I have ridden two, and they won't be the last! Take care, my friend! LL

      Delete
  22. So many good pictures, but my favorite is the little monk. The bright orange against the gray. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Sandra! The little monk is a favorite of mine too! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photos. I really like the one of the little monk, great contrast between his bright orange dress and the grey of the temple.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.