Friday, May 31, 2024

Waikiki's Stones of Life ~ Nā Pōhaku Ola Kapaemāhū ā Kapuni


One morning while walking along a stretch of Waikiki some years ago,
I came to an abrupt stop.

I suddenly saw a pile of rocks I had passed dozens of times before:
four huge boulders of basalt,
ironically the first rock I had learned to identify as a small girl.
Once I spotted them, I couldn't imagine how I hadn't seen them.


Google ~ used in a number of places


Granted the basalt boulders are located in a high traffic tourist area
with lots of activity on Kalakaua Avenue, the beach, and in the water,
and I'm guessing I'm not the only person who has overlooked them.
The stones are clustered inside a circular fence on the Diamond Head side
of the Honolulu Police Department's Waikiki Substation on Kūhiō Beach.
They stand near the popular bronze statue of Duke Kahanamoku
and are located just across the street from the Hyatt Regency.

Duke Kahanamoku
Hawaiian Olympic Champion 
and Father of International Surfing 
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
March 3, 2016

© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


When I approached the stones, I saw they were a beautiful vesicular pahoehoe basalt
from the numerous cavities pitting their surfaces, ropy texture,
and the lack of jagged, broken clinker.


The Basalt Stones
with Kalakaua Avenue and the Hyatt Regency in the Background
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
March 3, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved






Vesicular (Holey) and Pahoehoe (Ropy) Textures
Nā Pōhaku Ola Kapaemāhū ā Kapuni
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
March  3, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved


The four stones stood on a raised lava stone platform or paepae,
and, when I walked around the fence, I discovered an altar or ahu with flower offerings.
Obviously these were not just any old basalt boulders piled haphazardly near the beach. 

Ahu with Offerings
Nā Pōhaku Ola Kapaemāhū ā Kapuni
Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA
March 3, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved


A Department of Parks and Recreation City and County of Honolulu plaque
revealed the human story behind these sacred boulders, and what a story!

According to orally transmitted legends, the Moʻolelo, 
the Nā Pōhaku Ola Kapaemāhū ā Kapuni, 
or Stones of Life, are the legacy of four powerful māhū or healers,
Kapaemāhū, Kapuni, Kinohi and Kahāloa,
who came from Moa'ulanuiakea, Ra’iātea⁩, some 500 years ago.

They were exceptional individuals, third-gender people with dual male and female spirits.
Sometimes referred to as wizards, the māhū brought the healing arts to Hawaii.

‎⁨Ra’iātea and Tahiti in the Society Islands of French Polynesia


‎⁨Ra’iātea⁩, ⁨French Polynesia⁩
October 21, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

The four māhū traveled throughout the islands,
becoming famous as they miraculously healed and cured the people.   
Later they settled at a place called Ulukou where the Moana Surfrider now stands.

The time came when the māhū had to return to ‎⁨Ra’iātea.
They asked for two stones to be placed at their Ulukou home
and two more at their favorite bathing place in the sea, 
now known as Kahaloa Beach or Royal Hawaiian Beach.
Four huge stones were quarried from the basaltic rock at Kaimukī,
chosen by the māhū because they rang like a bell when struck.

On Pō Kāne (the Night of Kane) thousands moved the rocks
from the Kaimukī quarry, a distance of almost two miles.
After a full cycle of the moon filled with fasting, prayers, and incantations,
each māhū gave his-her name and mana or spiritual power to one of the four stones.
The original account indicates that a young chieftess was sacrificed
and placed beneath the stone of the head mākū, Kapaemāhū. 
Then the four vanished.   

Hidden in Plain Sight
The Healing Stones of Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Stones of Life


These culturally significant stones faded from general memory as well.
In 1907, the stones were rediscovered on the site of Princess Kaʻiulani's home.

In 1910, Governor Archibald Cleghorn, father of Princess Kaʻiulani,
stipulated that the stones stay on the property and the property be given to the city.

Governor Archibald Cleghorn 

In 1941, the city leased the property to build a bowling alley,
and the sacred stones were used in the building's foundation.
Next, 1958, the stones were identified and repaired
when the bowling alley was demolished.
Then, in 1963, the stones were moved to Kūhiō Beach.
Finally, in 1980 the stones were moved 50 feet mauka, toward the mountains. 

Nā Pōhaku Ola Kapaemāhū ā Kapuni ~ Stones of Life
Kūhiō Beach, Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA
March 3, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved


During the 1970s, Hawaiians experienced a cultural renaissance
and growing pride in their hula, music, language, and traditional sea voyages.

Celebrating Hawaiian Culture on Prince Kūhiō's Birthday
Hyatt Regency, Waikiki 
Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA
March 26, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved


When the stones' cultural significance was fully understood,
a group of people worked to create a wahi pana (sacred place) for the healing stones.

The four stones were placed on the platform (paepae) and protected with the altar (ahu).

Healing plants were planted at the site:  bamboo (ohe), wild tobacco (makahala),
Hawaiian cotton (mao), and beach naupaka (naupaka kahakai). 

During the final ceremonies, a Tahitian delegation from ‎⁨Ra’iātea
blessed the sacred stones and gave a small stone from Tahiti as an offering.

The Tahitian Stone, Ta‘ahu ea, as an Offering, ho‘okupu  
Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA
March 3, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  All Rights Reserved



On October 24, 2023 a new plaque for the stones was dedicated.
After more than a century of suppression, the true nature of the mākū was acknowledged.
Neither male or female, the mākū were traditionally considered a third gender
and revered by Polynesian, Hawaiian, and other cultures throughout the Pacific.
Furthermore, the four healers' duality of spirit enhanced their healing powers,
which included laying of the hands and the use of medicinal plants.

Those of you who know me and my blog know I love to travel.
Perhaps the thing I appreciate most about traveling
is learning about different people and cultures.
My Western and Christian backgrounds have shaped my thinking,
and it's important for me to question my beliefs and challenge them with new perspectives.
The more I experience and learn, the more I believe
that gender extends beyond male and female.



Have a great weekend! 




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue.

‎⁨Waimanalo Beach Park⁩, ⁨Oʻahu⁩⁩,
March 2, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Note:  I did a lot of research on the healing stones.  There is conflicting, incomplete, and inaccurate information online.  I've used the most accurate information I could find, and if there is any wrong information in my post, the fault is mine.  

Māhū:  "mahu – a Polynesian term for third gender individuals who are neither male nor female but a mixture of both in mind, heart, and spirit." 


Indigenous Peoples Literature Mythologies of French Polynesia/Tahiti

Ka'iwakīloumoku Pacific Indigenous Institute

Wikimedia:  Kapaemahu (The Stones of Life) in Waikīkī.

Location of Moa'ulanuiakea.  Some sources say Moa'ulanuiakea is in Tahiti, and I couldn't find it on a map.  Tahiti may be a general reference for the islands or a reference for the island of Tahiti.

Text of Older Plaque

Image of New Plaque

23 comments:

  1. Hi, Everyone! I'm out of town. My hotel has internet connection problems. I may or may not get access. Hopefully this comment will post, because what poor internet I have cuts in and out. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Duke Kahanamoku continues to be a photo op. ‎⁨Ra’iātea⁩ Helms is a favorite singer of pur, we went to her concert when she as a student at Maui Community College. I see that the Hawaiian culture bug has bite you too. Mahalo nui, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tom! Yes, I have the Hawaiian culture bug ~ lol! I love Hawaii. Right now I'm in Vegas. We move to a different hotel tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll have better internet. I'm hoping that later I can connect to a more reliable source. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. Lovely place -Christine cmlk79blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly all that I know of Hawaii is second hand. I have never had the pleasure of visiting her or enjoying her cultural offerings. So, that is why I so appreciate what you share with us as learning about new cultures is a delightful adventure. We have all been aware that a third gender exists and we also know how it has been mistreated in our culture and many others. It is good to find a place where it is understood and appreciated. I am not only impressed with your knowledge of the Hawaiian culture, but your obvious interest and knowledge of geology. I took geology in college and have always loved finding different kinds of rocks, but never made a study of it. I guess in my old age I could study them now, but one can't be sure that the memory would make use of it all. Always a pleasure, Louise :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed my post, Andrea. When I write one like this, I always worry that I've gone too wonky and perhaps people will be bored. But I found the history of these stones so fascinating, and I back up what I write with lots of research. I truly love and appreciate the Hawaiian culture, and I'm grateful that it has survived, is flourishing, and I get to experience it. In my earlier life I was a geologist working both in hard rock (minerals) and then soft rock (petroleum). But I left the field when oil crashed in the mid-1980s and went into the family business of education, a choice I've never regretted. I hope I keep learning until I die (and maybe beyond!). Have a lovely week, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your interesting stories and photos
    Happy you linked to Art For Fun Friday

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story of the Sacred Stones of Life gifted by the mākū healers! I'm not surprised by the special status of the mākū -- two-spirited indigenous people were often considered to be sacred healers in many parts of the world before the introduction of Christianity. Glad to see this acknowledged in the story of Hawaii too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, Debra! It's a good thing that people are recognizing that gender is more than male or female. It's depressing, horrifying, when I think of what hate and suppression have done to indigenous people around the world. So much knowledge and perspective has been lost.

      Delete
  7. An interesting post, dear Fundy. So many stones you showed us with the fitting story. And according to Andrea I also must say that I know Hawaii only by fotos or stories in TV and books. Never been there and I suppose I will not get there in the next years...If ever....
    Have a good time and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violetta! I felt this was an important story to share. Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and the concept of aloha is one that should spread throughout the world. All the best to you, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Those stones sure got around. Always interesting to learn the history behind things, especially when they have a good story like these do. So much to see when you go to Hawaii too. One day maybe I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to travel to Hawaii and other places, Pat! All the best to you, my friend!

      Delete
  9. wow! thanks for your researching these sacred stones ~ fascinating history ~ hugs, Aloha

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! One fascinating thing about Hawaii is there are spots like these stones on a platform that contain layers and layers of history. But then, there are fascinating stories everywhere if you look beneath the surface. The story of humankind is amazing! Have a great week, my friend, surrounded by angels!

      Delete
  10. A wonderful post. Thank you for joining FFO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those stones are fascinating, and they are really beautiful with their divots and little holes. They are definitely perfect for a place that was built with volcanoes. And I am so glad they demolished the bowling alley and found these stones and now have them as a memorial. Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed reading it (and I know I'm a few days behind FRiday's post.) hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erika! I am perpetually behind, so no worries! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  12. I learned a great deal from reading this story. I have never heard of a third gender before,. but I appreciate how much research you put into this. Your photos are beautiful and enhance the story brilliantly. Sorry to be so late for FFO, but I wouldn't have missed this for the world.

    Got a "failed to publish," but will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You published, Elizabeth! And I'm so glad you persisted! Your comment made my day! Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.