Friday, May 17, 2024

Statues

Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date prompt
for last week was Statues and for this week is Balloons,
but I accidentally switched them last week because I was way overloaded.
I've probably confused statues and sculptures,
but at this point I'm not going to stress over it.
President Clinton has split finer hairs.

A-maze-ing Laughter, by Yue Minjun of China with Yours Truly
Vancouver, near English Bay, British Columbia, Canada
September 28, 2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





A Statue of Leif Ericson stands in Front 
of Hallgrímskirkja,  a Lutheran Parish Church
Reykjavik , Iceland
June 11, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Leif Ericson (ca. 970 – ca. 1020)
He is regarded as the first European to land in North America about 500 years ago
at L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern-day Canada.
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


In the last nine days our only car's power steering went out,
and Terry and I had to hop an Uber to and from my eye appointment 
at the University of Colorado Sue Anschutz-Rodgers Eye Center, a long way from us.
Our Subaru guy walked Terry over his iPhone through a hack to fix our car temporarily.
We've been working on selling our old car and buying a new one. 
Terry had difficult oral surgery, and I played Florence Nightingale. 
And I saw an optometrist for new glasses, had my hair colored, and a massage.

A Human Statue
Brighton, United Kingdom
May 27, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





The Homecoming, by Nathan Scott
It portrays that special moment when a sailor return home after serving in Canada's Naval Service.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
July 11, 2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Gandalf the Grey ~ (can't find the artist who created this)
Wellington isite Visitor Information Centre
Wellington, New Zealand
October 30, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


And, oh yes, Surprise!  We unexpectedly had our home painted!
(I must have missed that Home Owners Association notice somehow).
Terry and I had to cover our large deck table with taped down plastic bags 
in wind and rain and with a roll of splitting masking tape ~
good for a round of serious snarking at each other. 
Then we were literally dismantling all my bird nest deterrents on the deck
while the painters were working on the adjacent side of our home. 

A Painter Sealing Us Inside for Hours
Aurora, Colorado, USA
May 10, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved






A Replica of  Michelangelo's David
Museo di Palazzo Vecchio 
Florence, Italy
September 16, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Dilophosaurus
Bishop Museum’s Expedition: Dinosaur
Honolulu, Hawai'i, O'ahu, USA
March 3, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


But, I have been working on my northern memoir ~ 😂  It's a miracle!


Angel with the Sudarium (Veronica's Veil) by Cosimo Fancelli
Ponte Sant’Angelo Built in 134 AD by Roman Emperor Hadrian 
Rome, Italy
May 18, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved






Lamassu, a Winged-Lion, one of a Pair that Once Flanked the Entrance
to the Throne Room of King Ashurnasirpal II (r. 884-859 BCE)
Nimrud (ancient Kalhu), Northern Iraq 
British Museum, London, United Kingdom
June 6, 2014
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved






Terry stands by a guardian lion statue near a causeway
 over the reservoir and moat surrounding Angkor Wat.
Siem Reap, Cambodia
November 10, 2008
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved



Next week looks a little easier ~ lol!  😂 
  


For Rain:  Kamehameha I ~ 
Kamehameha I was the conqueror and first ruler of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

The King Kamehameha Statue
Across the street from the 'Iolani Palace in Downtown Honolulu
Honolulu, Hawai'i, O'ahu, USA
March 11, 2015
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


For Tom:  Aloha ~ Makuha and Kila
This is my favorite piece of public art in Waikiki,
a young surfer (Makua) with a monk seal (Kila). 
The piece was inspired by the children's book Makua Lives on the Beach
a story about Hawaiian values of love and respect.

Makua and Kila by Holly Young (2001)
Waikiki, O'ahu, Hawai'i, USA
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





A Monk Seal Basks in the Sun
Duke Paoa KahanaMoku Beach Park
Waikiki, O'ahu, Hawai'i, USA
January 31, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved


For Nicole:  Gabby Philip Kunia Pahinui ~ 
Four young girls embrace the statue of Gabby Pahinui on the Waikiki Beach Walk.
Pahinui was  a slack-key guitarist and singer of Hawaiian music. 
During his life, weekends at his home in Waimanalo included impromptu jam sessions
or musical gatherings (kanikapila) that helped preserve Hawaii's musical traditions. 


Statue of  Gabby Pahinui and Four Young Girls
Waikiki Beach Walk
Waikīkī, O'ahu, Hawai'i, USA
March 5, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved





Statue of  Gabby Pahinui and Four Young Girls
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue. All Rights Reserved




Have a great weekend! 




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

My next post will be 
Friday, May 24th. 🤞 



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

Just for the record:
"A sculpture is usually created by carving a material, usually stone, into a three-dimensional object, often a human figure or a group of people. Statues are usually created by casting a mold for a statue, like in the case of the Statue of Liberty. Statues are meant to be displayed in a public place."  Source

27 comments:

  1. I am glad to read that next week is going to be easier for you. This last one sounds full on and exhausting.
    Love the statues you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! It was an exhausting week, but I had a good night's sleep, and I'm doing better. And I get to go out for dinner tonight! I hope that you are enjoying your weekend! Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  2. You are so widely travelled! So much fun looking at various statues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed the statues, Roentare! I live to travel! We're headed to Vegas in a couple of weeks, just for a few nights, and I can't wait! I am excited about seeing without doubling and distortions! Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  3. Lovely pics, as you always show on your blog. Hope you are both enjoying looking for your new car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I'll be glad when we get the car bought. Terry has been doing a lot of research on car buying. I keep worrying that his hack will fail on our old car before we get another bought. 🤞 Next week! It's lovely to see you! I hope all is well!

      Delete
  4. What a great collection of international statues! I enjoyed looking at all of them, thanks Louise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I've been cheering your Oilers. I was disgusted with our Avs, but they came back and we have new hope ~ just a little. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Greetings, Louise! If the painters kept you sealed inside, I bet you'd get a lot of work done on your memoir! All your statue photos are great, particularly the human statue. I wonder how they do that??? I dealt with power steering problems in a vehicle from the long ago. It was quite a pain. I'm sorry Terry needed surgery. Dental surgery can be especially painful, I think, so I hope all is well now, Flo Nightingale. I'm sure you served faithfully and well.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie! I did get a bunch done on my memoir, and it feels so good! When the power steering on our car went out, Terry was backing out of the garage to come and pick me up from an appointment. He went over the edge of the small hill, across part of her yard, and just missed the small tree between our properties. Fortunately the hack our Subaru guy coached Terry through is holding. 🤞 it holds until we get our car. It will be new to us, but likely not new. I'm pushing for a Forester, but we shall see. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. ...Louise, you have a fabulous statue collection. You and Terry sure get around!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! You've probably figured out that I live to travel. I had a great aunt Mary who traveled to Australia for the first time by herself at 93. She inspires me. All my best to you!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I hope you enjoyed your week and are looking forward to a good weekend!

      Delete
  8. OMGosh!!! I love all of these photos. So many wonderful shots. I do like that first photo best this week. Thank you for joining FFO and have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! You have a fabulous weekend too!

      Delete
  9. All the statues are so neat. Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! I hope all is going well with you!

      Delete
  10. I've seen a few of these, but wow. The one from Brighton, how hard is that to stand perfectly still for some long on top of others? You make me want to take another trip. And hurrah for working on your book.Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back at you, Erika! I have no idea how the "human statues" do what they do. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
  11. Sure got lots of great statues. Or sculptures, same thing lol

    That human once sure must have been tricky.

    Geez, you're having lots of fun as of late. Tarping you in for hours must have drove you nuts haha

    Hopefully you can get the old one sold and all the appts are winding down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being taped in for hours did drive me nuts, Pat. I kept thinking about how you're supposed to seal your house from nuclear fallout if you survive the blast ~ lol. Only problem is, we're in the 100 % kill zone because of how close we are to Cheyenne Mountain. The longer I sat with every door and window sealed, the creepier it got. I'll be glad when we get car buying behind us. Have a well-deserved weekend, my friend!

      Delete
    2. Well run to Cheyenne mountain if a blast is ever coming. They have the Stargate there. Lol

      Delete
  12. I can never get my act together to do the prompts are indicated but I love what you have found and shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie! I do a prompt-based post when I'm crunched for time. I have a huge collection of photos, so I can usually find something. Hugs to you! Have a good one!

      Delete
  13. sorry for your car showed issue dear Louise !
    this is nice to replace old with new one indeed . glad you could manage to go for check up .
    i am grateful that Terry's oral surgery went fine by the grace of God !
    your house will look fresh and more pretty after painting i believe :)
    you have some breathtaking collection of statues wow !!!
    loved looking at wonders carved by amazing artists .
    my most favorite are homecoming and seal with swimmer on the beach :)
    thanks for making my day with lovely and enjoyable sharing dear Louise !
    heartfelt best wishes for your memoir my sweet friend !
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you, Baili! Thanks for your lovely comment. This morning I picked up my new glasses, and I am so happy! My vision is perfect, and I am truly grateful! I've been waiting for this day for so long. I just kept telling myself, "One day at a time. One day at a time," and here I am almost 900 days later seeing perfectly! Thanks be to God, for sure! It's amazing! I'm getting such satisfaction from making progress on my memoir again, but it's slow! I hope you are enjoying a good week, my dear friend! Blessings to you and your loved ones!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.