Friday, February 17, 2023

Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread and Newfie Toutons


My sister Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread always brings back memories.
One of my favorite memories as a young girl living in Smith's Cove 
was stopping by my great grandmother's house on the way home from school. 
Great Grammie would give me a snack of milk and warm buttered brown bread,
and we would chat, play a game of Chinese checkers, or work on a jigsaw puzzle together.

Great Grammie by Her Beloved Snowball Bush
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
October 1959
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Today it's my sister Barb who makes the best traditional Nova Scotia Brown Bread,
and I use her recipe to bake this nostalgic taste of home.

Last night, after searching my computer for over an hour, I could not find her recipe.
I was determined to because Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date 
theme for this week is Bread, and Barb's is delicious.
No such luck.  
The only copy I have is in my recipe box at home in Aurora.

So before going to bed I texted Barb for her recipe,
and it was waiting for me when I woke up.
I can always count on Barb!
She has been with me during some of my darkest and happiest hours
and everything in between.  She's the best!

Barb (on the right) with Me 
Beautiful Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
December 25, 2016
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Nova Scotia brown bread is rich and flavorful, but not overly sweet.
I love to toast a slice and spread it generously with butter.
It's scrumptious with hot soup or homemade baked beans.
It's the perfect comfort food! 


Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved
 

During the Covid pandemic I made Barb's bread a number of times.
I'm using my photos to illustrate making her bread.
I divided the dough into loaves differently from her recipe,
so don't be confused by the discrepancy. 
This is perfectly okay to do.

When I'm making anything, I like to assemble all the ingredients first,
in this case old fashioned oats, butter or shortening, molasses, yeast,
salt and water, as well as a little sugar for proofing the yeast.
Impulsive me has learned from sad experience
that it is important to have all the ingredients 
actually in the house when I start cooking or baking.

Ingredients Assembled, Recipe at Hand
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Bread is really quite easy to make, but it does take some time.
When making bread that requires yeast and rising, 
I usually plan for about three hours from start to finish.




Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread Recipe
In a heat proof bowl:
3 cups boiling water
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup shortening or butter
Put all ingredients in a bowl and set aside to cool (about 20 minutes).

After the mixture has cooled, 
add 3/4 cup molasses and set aside.





In a second bowl:
Dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup warm water
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of yeast in the solution.
- if regular yeast let stand for 10 minutes
- if fast acting, let stand 4 minutes. 

Time to Add Molasses to the Cooled Oatmeal Mixture While Yeast Is Proofing
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


In a large bowl mix together:
8 cups flour
4 teaspoons salt.
Make a hole in the center of the flour.
Pour oatmeal mixture and yeast into the hole in the flour.

 
Ready to Mix Before Kneading
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Mix with wooden spoon and/or hands. 
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.

Place the kneaded bread in a large bowl greased with butter.

Ready to Rise
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rise in a warm spot
for one hour and 15 minutes or until doubled in size.

Ready to Rise
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Punch down the dough and divide into 3 portions. 
Shape each portion for a bread pan. 
Grease the bread pans well with butter. 
Place the portions of dough in the bread pans.
Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in size.
While the dough is rising for the second time, preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Ready for a Second Rising ~
Note:  Louise chose to divide her dough into four portions in two bread pans.
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Bake for 30-35 minutes. (I often bake the bread for 40 minutes).
Test for doneness by tapping or knocking on a loaf. 
The bread sounds hollow when it's done.
Let the bread cool in the pan before turning it out.

Ready to Eat!
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Making bread is more than baking something to eat.
To me it's an act of love.
It nourishes the heart and soul as well as the body.
It connects me to all the strong women in my family who baked it before me.

When I make Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread it reminds me of 
happy times with her and how important she is to me.

Sisters are the best!
Digby, Nova Scotia, Canada
August 3, 2019
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Here are pictures for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

Sisters Share a Special Bond
A Sleepy Me with Donnie and Barb
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Late Spring 1957
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





We Five:  Barbie (5), myself (11) with Bertie (2), Roy (10) Donnie (7), 
and three lake trout barely out of the waters of Lac Seul
Lac Seul, Ontario, Canada
July 1961
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Family Is the best!
We Five:  Donnie, Bertie, Roy, Barb, and Me
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 31, 2018
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Happy creating.  Take care!




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Friday, February 24, 2023  🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Notes:
Making bread is more of an art than a science.
Humidity, air temperature, and elevation can impact rising and baking times.
That's why ranges are given.

My mother always said to knead bread dough until it felt like a baby's bottom.
My friend Jeff left a good tip in the comments: 
"When dough is properly kneaded, 
if you push in the dough slightly with a finger and then let go, it should spring back." 
He learned this while working as a baker when he was in university. 

Proofing the yeast means testing it to make sure that it is still alive.  
This is done by gently stirring the yeast in warm water with a little dissolved sugar and setting it aside for 5-10 minutes.   
If the yeast is good, it will form a creamy foam on top of the water.

Yeast Proofing
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 20, 2020
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



If, for some reason, you have left over bread dough of any kind, 
you can follow the time-honored tradition of thrifty Newfies and make Toutons.

Take roughly biscuit-sized pieces of dough, drop them in oil in a frying pan, 
fry until browned on each side and cooked through, 
dust with powdered sugar and serve with jam, 
or plate them like a pancake and serve with butter and maple syrup.  
Yum yum!



 
Toutons Straight from Barb's Kitchen!
Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
February 2023
© Barbara MacBeath
All Rights Reserved

I wish I could say that Barb's Bread was my Great Grandmother's recipe,
but it's a traditional recipe from another family in the area.
We aren't sure whose.  Our only clue is "Aunt Geraldine."

Barb's Nova Scotia Brown Bread Recipe
In a heat proof bowl:
3 cups boiling water
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup shortening or butter
Put all ingredients in a bowl and set aside to cool (about 20 minutes).
After the mixture has cooled, 
add 3/4 cup molasses and set aside.

In a second bowl:
Dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup warm water
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of yeast in the solution.
- if regular yeast let stand for 10 minutes
- if fast acting, let stand 4 minutes. 

In a large bowl mix together:
8 cups flour
4 teaspoons salt.
Make a hole in the center of the flour.
Pour oatmeal mixture and yeast into the hole in the flour.

Mix with wooden spoon and/or hands. 
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.
Place the kneaded bread in a large bowl greased with butter.
Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rise in a warm spot
for one hour and 15 minutes or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough and divide into 3 portions. 
Shape each portion for a bread pan. 
Grease the bread pans well with butter. 
Place the portions of dough in the bread pans.
Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until the dough reaches the top of the pans.

While the dough is rising for the second time, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. (I often bake the bread for 40 minutes).
Test for doneness by tapping or knocking on a loaf. 
The bread sounds hollow when it's done.
Let the bread cool in the pan before turning it out.

When Barb Was Barbie ~ Such a Cutie!
Digby, Nova Scotia, Canada
Summer 1959
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


64 comments:

  1. Indeed, family are the best. Many wonderful recipes and gorgeous looking bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Louise, I have different memories of my grandmothers, but neither of them were bakers. The Bread prompt was perfect for you, I had to get creative. Are you still in Hawaii or are you back to reality? Enjoy a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tom! I'm still in Hawaii. We have our condo for two months. That said, the time is still flying by. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. The Nova Scotia Brown Bread looks really good and I'm so pleased to get the recipe. My great-great-grandfather came from Nova Scotia, so I always have this sense of connection any time anyone talks about the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that you have past connections with Nova Scotia, Leigh. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. That recipe makes a lot of bread.
    In the recent photo of you five together, you can definitely tell you are all related. That's amazing considering there are five of you. My brother and I don't look anything alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to see how genes play out in a family, Alex. The reason I make two balls in a bread pan is so I can easily break the love in have and freeze one portion. Have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. Oh Barb's brown bread looks and sounds delicious. I copied the recipe- hope that's OK. And I had toutons in Newfoundland when I visited.They were similar (if my memory serves me right) to yours. That recipe never seemed to make it down to New England or at least as far south as where I grew up in Mass. It's fun reading about your sister and seeing the old photos too. It's great to see the whole group of you and see how you all share some similar traits too. I came from a family of 2 and my brother and I look similar.I hope you had a great week and have a great weekend ahead. Are you still in Hawaii? hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you copied the recipe, Erika. I hope that you enjoy the bread. I'm also glad that you've been to Newfoundland. It is a special place. The five of us were born within nine years, and we're very close. Yes, I'm in Hawaii for about three more weeks. Have a great weekend. xox

      Delete
  6. The brown bread looks so delicious and I'm sure the aroma when baking it is heavenly! You have such a loving relationship with your siblings, it's great to see. Love your old photos, as always, especially the one with the trout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking bread always smells wonderful, Debra. I count myself fortunate to be close to my siblings. The photo with the trout is a hoot. I loved my time in Lac Seul! Have a great weekend with your Rare One!

      Delete
  7. What a truly wonderful post. I think I will try this bread. Thanks for the recipe. The memories and wonderful photos, just makes me happy. Have a lovely day and thank you for joining FFO
    Nicole/DVArtist https://beadwright.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy the bread, Nicole! I'm glad the post makes you happy. Have a great weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  8. You've posted the recipe before because I have it written down, just haven't made it yet. Sorry, I tend to use my bread machine rather than do any by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Diane! I've never used a bread machine. I learned to bake bread by hand and still do. Kneading helps me work out any frustrations. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. There is something wonderful about baking bread and this looks good (maybe toss in some nuts and/or raisins). When dough is properly kneaded, if you push in the dough slightly with a finger and then let go, it should spring back. I think you read some of my blog posts about working in a bakery while in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff! Good tip about when bread is properly kneaded. I think I would enjoy your posts about working in a bakery. Walnuts and raisins would be delicious additions. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  10. I wrote down the recipe. Wish me luck! At the start of the pandemic, there was no bread in the stores, so I had to make my own. At first, I grumbled, but I quickly realized making the bread was good therapy. I'm still baking a few loaves each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Elizabeth! I hope you enjoy it. I think many people were baking bread during the pandemic. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. will have to save that brown bread recipe thanks! Lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a chance to make the bread, I hope you enjoy it, Christine! Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  12. I'm very particular with bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Adam! I'm particular with bread, too. There are only a few brands I'll buy. Have a fun weekend with your family.

      Delete
  13. Lovely post Louise about NS Brown Bread and your wonderful Sister (me lol). It is raining like crazy today in Nova Scotia so I am amusing myself with making a 1930’s recipe for pineapple upside down pudding - very challenging. Mom would have done this recipe proud. Loves you Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, too, Barb. It's raining here in Honolulu as well. There are diehards swimming in two of the four pools I can see from our lanai. I think I'll pass today. Pineapple upside down pudding sounds yummy. I hope it works out well. Mom was a great cook. I'm having a root canal Tuesday morning. Oh joy! I'm really getting the local experience ~ lol. Say "Hi" to Pat. Big hugs to you!

      Delete
  14. That looks so hearty and fiber-filled, and really delicious. I love how you integrated wonderful step-out photos for the bread with your fabulous vintage photos. I just love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. I'm glad that you enjoyed my post. The photo of the five of us with the trout is my favorite one of us. We were living in a log cabin at Two Point on Lac Seul in northwestern Ontario. It was one of my favorite times in my life. Happy weekend to you! xox

      Delete
  15. Wow, you never disappoint. Your Brown Bread sounds wonderful and the toutons are to die for :)(spoken by the sweet tooth brain). We have had a brown bread and I find it delicious with cream cheese. Don't know if they are that different as the brown bread I know is made with molasses as well. I am not a baker ... I gave it up years ago when I discovered that most of what I baked was gone before anyone got home from work or school. Not a healthy thought :( So now I drool and admire over your baking with your sisters recipe. I also love your family ... so much fun to have brothers and sisters that you can still share with and enjoy (my sister passed in her early 60's after choking on a piece of meat ... tragic, right?) So enjoy your posts and though it is not likely I will bake your bread, I do enjoy the thought of it. Continue to be the wonderful you ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Andrea! I'm so sorry that you lost your sister so unexpectedly ~ how tragic. I don't bake nearly as much as I'd like too, because I eat it up so fast ~ lol! Nicole, who hosts Friday Face Off makes all these marvelous sweets for her husband and rarely eats them. I don't know how se does it ~ She's a better person than I am! Have a lovely weekend, my friend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  16. Bravo for breads and faces.
    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cutie! Such a beautiful family, and such nourishing a wonderful looking bread! Now I'm longing for some real fresh bread. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cloudia! I can't wait to bake more bread when I get home again. Have a great week!

      Delete
  18. What sweet memories!!!

    Have you tried truffle butter on that tbread? (I need to bake bread soon as I got yeast from Australia...huhhhh... nrebie here).

    Yes, so nice to see your pic! My Brother and I went through a lot, also.

    Oh, boy, you´re the oldest, too. We had a package back then, huh. I have but one Brother but so glad I have him!!!

    You need to knead dough?! Oh, good I pooed in here before starting!
    HELP. The yeast a bloggy friend sent me is "Dry Yeast". What to do??? In Germany we have blocks that are in the fridge section (I never used either).
    This one traveled back and forth from Australia to Germany, back and now here again. is it still "alive"?

    Cutest pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iris! I'm not sure what kind of dry yeast your friend sent you. It sounds like it travelled a lot. To see if it is alive, put a tablespoon (15 grams) in a half cup (237 mL) of warm water with 1 teaspoon (1.69 grams) of sugar, and set it aside. If it is alive, it will form a good foam on top. Be sure the water is warm; water that is hot will kill the yeast. Once you're sure the yeast is alive, it is okay to bake with. Use the amount of yeast, water, and sugar your chosen recipe asks for. Some may not require sugar, depending how modern the recipe is. The recipe will guide you and include the correct amounts of liquid and yeast for that type of bread. I have never used a block of yeast before, but I'm sure there will be sites on line that describe how to use it. I hope this information helps! Take care!

      Delete
  19. A beautiful post all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

      Delete
  20. Great how recipes and food can bring back the memories and when recipes can be passed down, or passed sideways lol, My grandfather used to make it too. But with my body, nope, strayed away from that.

    I had to look up if Beautiful Cove was a real place, not that I doubted you lol, just kinda on the nose. Some names are just like okay. No creativity at all. Like a few roads I've been on called "The Lane" What a stupid name for a road. Be kind of like Who's on First when you try to explain to someone where you live.

    Where do you live? On The Lane. Which Lane? The Lane? Yes. I know it is a lane but which lane? The Lane. Fine. Don't tell me where you live. I told you, The Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday, Pat! The man in our extended family who likes to bake all kinds of bread is my sister Bertie's husband. He is great at it. I'm sorry you have to stay away from breads! Beautiful Cove is real, and it is beautiful. We try to visit it every time we are down on the Islands. I have lots of great memories associated with it. I understand how vague directions like "The Lane" can be frustrating. Small communities have lots of general locations. Have a great weekend. What's left of it! Take care!

      Delete
  21. Your bread looks delicious. It was fun seeing the young family and your current look as family is SO important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the two versions of "We five," Elizabeth. It was a lot of fun living in a log cabin at a fish camp for a summer ~ a unique experience for us. We had to leave our home in Landsdowne House (west of James Bay) with less than 24 hours notice because of a forest fire. The nurse's wife arranged for us to stay in a log cabin at her brother's home in a fish camp hundreds of miles away. Anne was half Ojibwa, so we had lots of unusual adventures. The picture of us with the trout is my favorite picture from my childhood. Have a great weekend and week ahead.

      Delete
  22. I love your nostalgic photos of your great family. I'm not a "food person", but I like to look at good food and enjoy that way 😉
    Thank you for your deligious post 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sirkkis! I wish I were not a "food person." I'd be skinnier if I wasn't. Have a happy and creative week.

      Delete
  23. Great post! I love brown bread -- raised in New England and brown bread and beans were a staple -- but haven't had it in ages, but that may have to change. I was in Nova Scotia last summer and definitely need a return trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Buttercup! Brown bread and baked beans are a Down East tradition for sure. I try to get back to Nova Scotia every year. Despite 40 years in Colorado, Nova Scotia feels like home. I was sorry couldn't access your blog. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  24. You've made me feel hungry showing the bread, I could just eat a bowl of soup with some.
    Love the photo of you five with the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! I love that photo too. Have a great week ahead.

      Delete
  25. This isn't just a recipe - it's a true family treasure, and I was delighted to meet this treasure and your family, in photos old and new! Your childhood photos are so adorable. I can smell the bread from here in Austria :-D
    (My husband is the big bread baker here and he was in top form during the pandemic, too.)
    Have a good new week! Hugs and all the best from Austria!
    Traude
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Traude! I'm glad that you enjoyed my post. My youngest sister Bertie has a husband who loves to bake all kinds of bread. You and she are fortunate! All the best from Honolulu (temporarily). I'm so happy to be here because there is going to be a snowstorm at home tomorrow. Hugs to you and enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  26. Love this Blog Louise , there is something about comfort food and the pleasure of making it ! As always the pictures are spot on. XXOO Dutchess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to see you, Duchess! I wish I could see you right now and have a big hug! Once I'm back in Colorado from Mexico, I've got to get up to Calgary and see you! xoxox!

      Delete
  27. Oh what a loving post and awesome photos and brown bread sounds delish and filled with love ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Your comment put a smile on my face! I think it's evening where you are, so have a good evening and a great day tomorrow! xox

      Delete
  28. My husband was only saying to me the other day 'It is time we made bread again, as we haven't made it for years'. I will show him your recipe, as it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your husband enjoy baking some bread together, whether Barb's recipe or another. Have a great week, my friend!

      Delete
  29. Louise, I can only imagine how wonderful it smells when this bread is baking! You've made me crave fresh bread now. LOL I love the memories and photos you share, dear friend! I hope you have an amazing week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! So far the week has been great. We're having dinner with friends tonight (pickleball buddies of Terry's). ~ the cheeseburger special at the Waikiki Food Hall. We meet to have the special every Monday. The locals know where to find all the best deals. Have a wonderful week with George! xoxox!

      Delete
  30. This is such an awesome post Louise!!! I love the idea of making toutons, and thank you so much for sharing your Barb's recipe! The bread looks absolutely delicious! What you said....this says it all for me:
    "Making bread is more than baking something to eat.
    To me it's an act of love.
    It nourishes the heart and soul as well as the body."
    YES!!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rain! As you can see, I've fallen behind. When I get home I'm going to bake some of your wonderful breads! Take care!

      Delete

  31. My mother used to make N.S. brown bread. Thanks for the recipe;
    I definitely will be making it. Haven't had Toutons since I lived in Lab City.
    Family--so wonderful to be with. Your Grammie looks beautiful.
    A wonderful post!
    Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie!I haven't had Teutons in a long time. I love them, but if I ate them, I'd look like Humpty Dumpty. Have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  32. Precious friend Louise I am thankful for not missing this beautiful post as such treasured family pictures rise my blood and fill me with absolute happiness :)))

    Grandma memories are Special always and we are blessed to have them :)
    My grandma wasn't a baker of brown or white bread but yes she would bake traditional bread in clay oven of corn or wheat flour.
    Barb still looks Barbi because of her sweet beautiful smile :)
    You certainly are really fortunate to have such strong family support because such miracle is rare and priceless my friend!
    Your brown bread recipe is awesome and worth try. Specially thanks for tips at the end of the post. I never got such information that shares how some other crucial things can effect rising of dogh or baking process.
    I was hardly interested to kneading the dough. But today reading this embarrassed me that why it is important to knead the dough unt it is sticky.
    Seems like baking involves lots of loving heart.
    Thank you for the full of life and love sharing and brightening my heart :)
    Hope Terry and you are doing well my lovely friend!
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and blessings to you, Baili! I enjoyed reading your comment so much! It brightened my day. I was fortunate because I was close to my extended family on both sides, and the women were strong and independent. They had to be, because some of their husbands died young. I'm glad that you have fond memories of your grandma. I learned a lot about cooking and baking from my mother grandmothers, and great aunts ~ the old-fashioned way by watching and helping them in the kitchen. I treasure those memories. Terry and I are doing well, but feeling a little sad about leaving the tropical sunshine for snow and cold ~ LOL! I hope all is well with your husband and boys, and you my precious friend! xox

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.