Wednesday, March 1, 2023

IWSG: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 ~ Author Envy

  




It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Diedre KnightTonja Drecker, Bish Denham, Olga Godim, and, JQ Rose!

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is: 
Have you ever read a line in novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy March, Everyone! 
I hope you had a happy and creative February.
We've been having lots of fun in Waikiki, Honolulu.

The Waikiki Area
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



🇫🇷  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§


This month's question about author envy put me right back into Grade Six 
when my teacher Mr. Keast taught a lesson on using adjectives in  descriptive writing.  

I fell in love with adjectives!  
I wrote a sentence about our home containing sixty-four adjectives!

I thought my sentence was brilliant; Mr. Keast did not.  
He called my mother for a conference because he thought I was mocking him. 

The two sorted out my personality, 
and I learned that the liberal use of adjectives was inadvisable.
I never wrote another sentence with sixty-four adjectives. 

In Grade Seven I read Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, 
and I never forgot its first and last sentences.
It was then that I really began to understand and accept 
what Mr. Keast had been trying to get across to me:
whether a sentence was long or short, 
it was more effective when a writer used adjectives sparingly. 


Cover of serial "Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens
A photograph of an engraving in The Writings of Charles Dickens volume 20, 
A Tale of Two Cities, titled "The Sea rises."



At the young age of twelve, I wouldn't say I had author envy;
rather, I would say I had author admiration.
I realized that Charles Dickens could write an unforgettable story with powerful sentences.
Now, all these decades later, I have author envy.


Charles Dickens as photographed by Herbert Watkins, 1858


I still love adjectives.  
Mr. Keast's lesson was the first time I remember learning about this part of speech.
Perhaps it was so memorable because Mr. Keast 
had my mother come to school for a conference shortly afterwards.



After reading A Tale of Two Cities, the novel, adjectives, writing effective sentences, 
and Mr. Keast were forever linked together in my mind. 

In case you've never read A Tale of Two Cities 
or the novel didn't embed itself in your brain like it did in mine,
here are the powerful first and last sentences in the book:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, 
it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, 
it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, 
it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, 
it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, 
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, 
we were all going direct to Heaven, 
we were all going direct the other way – 
in short, the period was so far like the present period, 
that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, 
for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Wikimedia
Charles Dickens:  A Tale of Two Cities
With Illustrations by H. K. Browne
London:  Chapman and Hall, 1859


“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; 
it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” 




🇫🇷  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§  ðŸ‡«ðŸ‡·  ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡§


Our time in Hawaii is coming to an end shortly.
I'm not ready to go back to the snow and cold.
Fingers crossed, we'll be back again next year!


Terry
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Me
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Today's Rainbow Over the Waikiki Area
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 28, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Enjoy IWSG Day.  Stay happy and safe.



Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com

My next post will be on Friday, March 17  
I'll be flying very early on March 11



51 comments:

  1. In that passage Light and Darkness are capitalized, making them not just light and datkness. Interesting!

    "I thought my sentence was brilliant; Mr. Keast did not.
    He called my mother for a conference because he thought I was mocking him."

    😂

    The rainbow over Hawaii. Sigh. "And in this place I will grant peace." Reminds me of that verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Wednesday, Sandi! I interpreted the capitalized Light and Darkness as the struggle between good and evil, even alluding to God vs Satan. But Dickens was also foreshadowing a major theme in his novel which was contrasting the setting, the characters, and the events in the novel. We've had beautiful rainbows here throughout our visit. It is definitely a place of peace for us. Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  2. I like the distinction you make, 'author admiration" instead of "envy." At your 64 adjective sentence sounds like a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha, Jeff! Obviously that 64 adjective sentence was a major learning experience because I've never forgotten. I hope that you are enjoying a great week!

      Delete
  3. That was a lot of adjectives.
    I read A Christmas Carol every December. It's just brilliant.
    Glad you've had a good time in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! "I need to reread "A Christmas Carol." Dickens remains one of my most favorite authors. I hope you are enjoying your day ~ I feel so many hours behind everyone because of the time zone I'm in in Hawaii. Take care!

      Delete
  4. Your teacher called your parents over a sentence with too many adjectives? I've heard of some awful teachers, but that's a new one...

    And stop posting pictures of Hawaii. *grumpy stare*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, C.D.! Yes, my teacher had my mother in for a conference. My father was teaching farther north in an isolated community. Mr. Keast ran a very tight ship. Despite our kerfuffle over adjectives, I remember him as one of the best teachers I ever had in school and university. If it's any consolation, I'll be missing Hawaii very soon. All the best to you!

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful rainbow.

    A strong verb is always best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been seeing beautiful rainbows a lot here, Diane. Yes, strong verbs are always best. And precise nouns are not far behind. Enjoy visiting around today!

      Delete
  6. I know just what you mean, Louise. I have Poetic Envy myself --

    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2011/04/poetic.html

    Enjoy the sunshine, warmth and rainbows of Honolulu for the remainder of your stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Debra! I love your post on poet envy! It immediately brought back memories of these poets and their works. I spent many wonderful hours in my life reading, studying, and teaching all forms of literature. It has been a constant pleasure for me. I'm sucking up every bit of this tropical environment that I can! Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  7. Have fun in Hawaii, here it's cold and frosty! I love 'A Tale of Two Cities, one of my all time faves. And yes, use your adjecives sparingly! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you, Valerie! It's good to see you. I hope all is well with you. I'm not on top of my posts and visits, but I plan to visit around over the weekend. All my best to you! xox

      Delete
  8. Glad you had a good trip. That's weird that your teacher thought you were mocking him. I appreciate and admire good writing like you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! Yes, it was weird, because I was a well-behaved and serious student. Who knows what button I pushed for him. But I remember Mr. Keast fondly as one of the best teachers I ever had in school and university. He taught me so much, not just about academics, but also life, And I used teaching techniques and projects of his during my teaching career. Have fun visiting around today!

      Delete
  9. I loved your adjective story and how you wove that into your answer to today's question. You must be a writer! Enjoy that Hawaii beach time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I'm glad that you enjoyed my post. Have a fun time today!

      Delete
  10. Hawaii looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoy the rest of your time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! Hawaii is fabulous! I hope all is well with you. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. What a sunny post from Hawaii; thanks for the pictures! Using that many adjectives in a sentence is actually quite the feat. I think you should have received a prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonja! I was very proud of that sentence, before I got reined in. I think I should have had a prize too ~ lol! Have a good one!

      Delete
  12. Hawaii sounds wonderful.
    I love adjectives too, but perhaps 64 in one sentence is a bit excessive. Must've been a long sentence. Some Russian writers love adjectives too. I once translated a novella Scarlet Sails by Alexander Grin, a romantic Russian writer, into English. I had to fight with his penchant for adjectives to make it palatable for the English-speaking readers. He used up to 7 adjectives to describe one noun. I couldn't translate them all. I had to pick and choose and sometimes substitute an occasional verb or change his phrasing altogether. But it is a beautiful story all the same. The translation is available on my wattpad page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii is wonderful, Olga! I admire you for your ability to translate one language into another. It's an ability I'll never have because I'm sadly monolingual. I have enjoyed some of the translated works of Dostoyevsky, Pasternak, and Tolstoy. I hope you've had fun visiting about!

      Delete
  13. Your photos are awesome! Looks like a great time! Yes, Charles Dickens beginning of ATOTC is more like poetry and oft quoted. We could all aspire to write like him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure could, Denise! I really enjoy lyrical prose. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. And you caught me out, FB, with my generic reply. I'm glad you are going to read I Let You Go. I'm going to read I See You and every other Clare Mackintosh book!

      Delete
  14. hahaha too funny that he thought you were mocking him. You were just a keener that showed there was nothing to it. I remember the first and last lines of it whenever I read them. Can't spiel them off, but as soon as I see it back they come. Suppose my mind just wants to memorize other things. Weird that way.

    Would much rather be at the giant litterbox than here with the snow that just keeps a coming. No winter and then boom, all winter every day. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my sympathy regarding winter, Pat. The giant sandbox is much more fun. How did you recognize that I was a keener? ~ lol. I will die a keener!

      Delete
  15. As you can probably tell from my blog name, I share your reverence for the supreme talent of Charles Dickens. What a writer!

    Adjectives, and alliteration, are always ready to trip up the unwary author. It takes a lot of self-control (in the form of diligent editing and revising) to avoid their alluring traps.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well duh, Sue! I literally thought you were a Mrs. Micawber! And now I see the connection. My only excuse is that I spent too much time with literal second and third graders ~ lol! Self control with modifiers is really hard for me. I have to go back and back and back again to make ruthless, painful cuts. Take care!

      Delete
  16. I love your adjective story! It's messed up that the teacher thought you were mocking him. Enjoy your trip, and I hope you can go again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! We're certainly hoping to return next year. We love Hawaii. Have a happy and creative March.

      Delete
  17. i have not seen the original book but i have read the story as summary guide book during my masters in English literature dear Louise so i am happy that i found opportunity to be familiar with leading great authors of west because of my two years master course thankfully .
    you made me laugh when mentioned the reaction of Mr keast :)

    i can't call it envy but there came numerous times when during reading or watching movie or show i think " ok these are my words exactly" but words are those who can say or write them always and not just carry them in head right :)
    i am gifted with nature to feel happy for others as strongly as i feel for myself and same is for sadness i believe.
    this was beautiful post and so enjoyed it absolutely my lovely amazing talented friend!
    i can only imagine how bad it feels to depart from sun :((( .living without sun for months sounds terrible to me despite how annoying is our summer sun .with age i am realizing that sun is badly needed to "feel better" innately particularly .
    i am happy you hade bliss to spent sometime here on sunny part of America :)
    safe travels .hugs and blessings and yes loved the photos of both of you !xhealth peace and joy to both of you friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Baili! It's always a delight to hear from you! I think it's awesome that you have a two years master course in English literature. You are amazing and put me to shame. English and Urdu are such different languages, and I only know how to read and write in English. You have written many things in English, and I especially love your poetry. You have a fresh, original way of expressing yourself which I admire.

      I am sad to leave the warm tropical sunshine behind. But spring will soon come to Colorado, and it is always lovely. The sun really does make a person feel innately better. In the Maritimes where I spent a good part of my childhood the winters were always cloudy, grey, and damp. It was shocking to me when we moved up north to Lansdowne House, and the sky was so blue almost every day. If I'm stuck in too much cloudy grey, I get depressed.

      Sending you much love and blessings my special friend and to your family. I hope you, Ali, and your sons are doing well. xox

      Delete
    2. Precious friend Louise!
      Hope you are back by now safe and healthy.
      Thank you for being most kind friend I ever had!!!!!!!!!!
      You are a precious gift Indeed.
      I did my masters back in 2016 probably. I never stopped to extend my education after marriage. I got married when I was tenth grade passed.
      When kids were in early teens I restarted my education. I am thankful for I could fulfil my youth dream to get high degree.
      Oh my wonderful friend you are exceptionally talented and I am by your approach towards wr and how you have managed to meet your deadlines. I think I cant do it ever.
      Specially thanks for guiding me for putting books on sidebar. I have d it some tho not in per way.
      Thank you so much. God bless you and Terry

      Delete
  18. 64 adjectives? LOL When we use adjectives sparingly, our sentences sparkle. Enjoy Hawai'i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diane! There is a reason why people call me "Overboard Louise" to this day ~ lol! Have a happy and creative March!

      Delete
  19. First, beautiful photos of Hawaii. Lucky, lucky you! Isn't the water gorgeous? Warm? Inviting? Crystal clear? Yes, Louise, I like adjectives, too.

    So do you think if Dickens had an editor today, he or she would delete all the repetitiveness in the opening to get to the story faster? Have a great time in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ~ yes, Victoria, the water here is all of those things. An editor today would likely tone down the first sentence to get into the story more quickly. I think that would be a loss. I really enjoy Dickens' juxtaposition of opposites and the rhythm he creates with his repeated words. Terry and I are going to make the most of our remaining days here. What makes leaving easier is knowing that we'll be back next year if we can manage it. Have a great weekend and all the best with your memoir!

      Delete
  20. I love this post. A Tale of Two Cities was (and is) my favorite DIckens novel and I always thought he was a remarkable writer. I get author envy when I read a very well done mystery with a complicated but realistic plot. I'd love to plot like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed my post, Jeanie! I like a well done mystery too. A couple of nights ago I finished a murder mystery I really enjoyed. It was called "I See You" by Clare Mackintosh. I stayed up way too late finishing it. I'd love to plot brilliantly too. All the best to you, my friend!

      Delete
  21. LOL. I have always thought that opening sentence was a bit over-long. But I do see your point. And yes, I have author envy, in the sense that I read certain writers and wish that my talent could match up. Not that I want to write what they wrote, but that I want to write my own work as brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you feel, Rebecca! I read wonderful memoirs, and I wish I could make mine sparkle like others do. You are talented, and I admire how you have published books. You have an original voice, and I enjoy how you make characters and settings come alive. Wishing you your unique brilliance!

      Delete
  22. And I hope you had a great time in the sun and sand!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE your story of your teacher and your introduction to adjectives! Just a couple of years ago I reread A Tale of Two Cities... Dickens was/is such a great story teller. What fun that you got to spend some time in Hawaii. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I was about 11 years old, I read "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". The chapter "You Can't Pray A Lie" has the line "All right then, I'll go to hell!". When I read that, I was stunned at the writing. I remember I went back and read the chapter again to see how the writing could just stun me with its message.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhhh I am so glad you are having a good time. How can you not with all that sunshine. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had a little giggle at your teacher thinking you were mocking him with that spectacular sentence. To be honest, I can't imagine a sentence with that many adjectives. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Certain authors are amazing; their brilliance shines though. Just now, Gabriel Marquez comes to mind.
    Looks lovely there. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.