Friday, March 17, 2023

Mai Tais and More at the Hideout at the Laylow in Waikiki

Whenever I'm in Waikiki the first place I want to go 
after we've checked into our condo or hotel is the Hideout at the Laylow.
Over the years Terry and I have been just about everywhere in Waikiki.
I have sampled many, many mai tais.
In my opinion, you can't beat the mai tai at the Hideout.


The Quintessential Hawaiian Drink ~ a Mai Tai
The Hideout, Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
January 10, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






At the Hideout for Happy Hour
February 20, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






At the Hideout for Happy Hour
February 20, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





A Pretty Orchid
January 30, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved







Just Before Opening at the Hideout
January 19, 2022
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved 



Yes, the Original Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian and
the Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider have awesome mai tais,
but for taste and value, it's the Hideout Terry and I return to over and over.

We like to sit at the bar rather than at a table, 
because it's fun to talk to the friendly bartenders,
and we split a Happy Hour meal, usually the Mainlander,
which is a Wagyu beef hamburger with American cheese, 
lettuce, tomato, onion, and a house sauce with a side of fries.
At the bar we can relax, enjoy our drinks and meal, and listen to the music.

The Mainlander with a Side of Fries
January 10, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






One of the Nightly Musicians at the Hideout
January 16, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved 




Garnishes at the Ready
March 9, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved 



Another favorite Happy Hour meal of ours is the Island Greens,
a delicious salad that fills a craving for something healthy.

Island Greens
January 10, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved 


Watching the bartenders mix drinks is entertainment as well.
Happy Hour is from 5:00 to 6:00 pm every day of the week,
and the bartenders serve up lots of mai tais and other drinks during that busy hour.

Jeremy Making Multiple Mai Tais and Other Drinks
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Jeremy Making Multiple Drinks
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


And if you're like me and can only handle one mai tai,
you can follow it up with a great mocktail:
Laylow "Virgin Style" Mai Tai."


A Delicious Mocktail:  Laylow Virgin Style Mai Tai
January30, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






One of the Nightly Musicians at the Hideout
January 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Jeremy Making Even More Mai Tais
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Makayla Preparing a Cocktail 
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Makayla and Jeremy at Work 
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






One of the Nightly Musicians at the Hideout
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Erwin helps Jeremy behind the bar. ~ More Mai Tais in the Works!
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Clouds Tinted by the Setting Sun
February12, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Erwin helps Jeremy behind the bar.
Other staff members garnish the mai tais and deliver them.
Hideout, Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Taylor, Another Great Bartender!
Hideout, Laylow, Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Every night different entertainers provide a mellow musical ambience,
rain or shine.

A Duo at the Hideout
February 7, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved 


There has been a lot rain in Honolulu in recent days.
That barely slows things down at the Hideout.
When the rain comes down, out come the umbrellas.


Sharing an Umbrella at the Hideout
February 16, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Sharing Umbrellas at the Hideout
February 19, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Makayla and Aaron, Another Great Bartender!
February 16, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






One of the Nightly Musicians at the Hideout
January 27, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



The Hideaway welcomes people of all ages and backgrounds.
It's a mellow, relaxing place with great food, drinks, and music,
and it has lots of friendly guests you can strike up a fun conversation with. 
Perhaps we'll cross paths at the Hideout sometime!



Terry and I
January 22, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I had planned to publish this post on Friday, February 24th 
Unfortunately, I decided to test my one mai tai limit 
at dinner with friends in another restaurant.
I had two mai tais.
Not a good choice.  
I made it back to our condo before the second drink slammed me,
and there was no editing or posting on the evening of the 23rd.

For Nicole's  Friday Face Off I'm sharing a few more faces from the Hideout.

Focusing on Mixing a Drink 
March 9, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Enjoying the Music
January 22, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Putting on the Finishing Touches
February 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Concentration
February 25, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Busy, Busy, Busy at Happy Hour
February 16, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Happy St. Patrick's Day! 🍀
See you next week!  Take care!  




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be on 
Friday, March 24, 2023  🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



32 comments:

  1. Fabulous post, it all looks so wonderful. I ould love to sit there, too, but I would need a mocktail, as I can't drink alcohol. A wonderful hideout! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know what happened to my comment, Valerie! Thank you for your welcome comment. It was wonderful. I hope I'm lucky enough to return next year! Wishing you a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. Never had a Mai Tai but that looks like the best place to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've missed a treat ~ imho, Alex! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha, true confession time -- TWO mai tais! You lush, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sad, eh? LOL Every year I can tolerate less alcohol. Oh the indignities of growing older! Have a great weekend, my friend! xo

      Delete
    2. Oh, I can't really point the finger. I'm a cheap date myself, LOL! Doesn't take much to get me tipsy either.

      Delete
  4. You are such a good-looking couple. I love that you get to travel so much. And since I can't (travel) I always love your wonderful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Leigh! Traveling is just about my most favorite thing to do. That's why I could never be a homesteader like you. In another universe and life a Louise is homesteading ~ lol! We get to enjoy alternate lives through each other's blog posts. Such fun! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. That burger looks good. I have never been one for mix-drinks except for an occasional Bloody Mary. Normally, it's Scotch or Bourbon on rocks. But if I go to Hawaii, I will have to try a Mai Tai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The burgers are delicious, Jeff, and Terry and I had more than enough to eat splitting one burger and one fries. I can no longer do hard liquor. My Scottish father would be so disappointed that I can no longer enjoy Scotch or Rye Whiskey. If your ears were burning this morning, I was telling my Korean hair stylist about how you enjoyed visiting Korea. I must get there someday (pretty soon ~ lol!). Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. What fun, Louise! I'd love to join you. If I could, I'd jump on a plane right now and head to a tropical location. Hopefully later this year! You both look really happy and relaxed. Have a drink for me and send over some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun that would be, Martha! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you visit a tropical location later this year. Terry and I are always relaxed and happy in Hawaii. It's a magical place. Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  7. I love balcony bars. It looks like a fun place to hang out. Funny, it's outside and yet some people are still wearing masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Diane! A lot of people in Hawaii are still wearing masks. They were very serious about it during the pandemic, and they still worry about catching Covid 19. Many of the visitors are Asian, and it was culturally acceptable for them to wear masks even before the pandemic. Actually one of Terry's closest pickleball friends came down with Covid 19 while we were there. A bunch of us were out for dinner together just before he tested positive, but none of the rest of us caught it. I hope all is well with you! Take care!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you found a great spot indeed. Must be a good place if they even stop with an umbrella. Not surprised you have visited every place there. By now you must have been everywhere multiple times. Just looks nice too compared to the white crap here, but that is going away ever so slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your snow is going away, Pat! May the rest of it melt quickly! A number of people usually have umbrellas when they're out, like Terry and me. It was quite rainy and windy. At the Hideout, the moment it starts raining, all the wait staff grab umbrellas and race to people without them. Yes, I've been everywhere and then some in Waikiki. Now it's like we're living there. I couldn't walk up Diamond Head this year. But it's my goal for next year. I met a lady at the Hideout Bar who lives right by Koko Head Crater. She climbs it twice a day, and it has over 1,000 steep steps in its short 1.4 miles. I would love to do that. We shall see. Have a great weekend, my special friend!

      Delete
  9. Now that's good living. I'm going to remember this bar for when (ever) I manage to get to Waikiki. (Hawaii is very high on my travel list so I'm optimistic I'll get.) You look like you're having so much Louise, and beating the late winter weather too. Enjoy. And happy weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh I want to be there right now. What a fun place. The drinks look amazing and that burger, yeah I will take one. All the beautiful faces what a joy. Thank you for sharing with FFO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read your comment. Happy Birthday dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Everyone! I'll be back to catch up and visit. I'm headed out for a 90-minute massage as part of my birthday fun! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated St Patrick's ☘️☘️☘️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you, Adam! I hope hope all is well with you, my friend!

      Delete
  14. What a lovely place to enjoy music. As we are living in Northern Ireland music is a real favourite here, as you must know. I always say 'Make the most of life, enjoying what you love doing while you still can. Belated Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brenda! I hope you are enjoying your Sunday! Every day is a gift of God, and I am grateful for each one. I love music so much, every kind of music. That is also a gift of grace. Have a lovely week! xo

      Delete
  15. Mai Tai was a favorite drink at my house years ago when we both still had a drink in the evening. And I can only imagine how we would enjoy the Hide Out if we were ever in Hawaii. Sadly that is one place we haven't been. My Grandparents went there and we watched their movies and slides when they came back, but I don't remember any Mai Tais in their picture shows. My son and his wife went just a few years ago a raved about the beautiful sunsets and sunrises ... and the Mai Tais :) It is on my bucket list and I can only cross my fingers that I make it there. Your pictures are wonderful and I can here in your comments how much you enjoyed the Hide Out and it's ambiance . I am secretly jealous, but never the less happy for you and Terry ... you do live the good life :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been to Hawaii. This looks like heaven and I can see why it's your first stop. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a beautiful and chill place to hang out, the drinks is so eye catching.

    JULIE ANN LOZADA BLOG
    INSTAGRAM: @julieann_lozada

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous place! Gorgeous drinks too, with those beautiful orchids. And that hamburger/fries photo made me hungry. Thanks for these lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, wow. Flipping through the photo journal it looks like a good time was had by all. That's the best!!!!! Here's to lots more good times and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha ha...we shall call you "Two Mai Tai Louise" from now on! ☺☺I will now try to make myself a Mai Tai! And I'm CRAVING burgers and fries too! The Hideaway looks like a great place to hang out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.