Wednesday, June 7, 2023

IWSG: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 ~ If I Stopped Writing ...





It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Patricia JosephineDiedre KnightOlga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and, Cathrina Constantine !
 
I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.
This month's featured question is: 
If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy June, Everyone! 
I hope you had a happy and creative May.

I'm late posting today.
We returned yesterday from six packed days and nights in Las Vegas.
I managed to eat a few tortillas with some hummus and half a bar of dark chocolate 
before collapsing into bed and sleeping until this morning.

Walk the Moon Concert on Fremont Street
 Eli Maiman (Guitar) Sean Waugaman (Drums) Nicholas Petricca (Synthesizer), 
and Unknown (Perhaps Adam Reifsnyder, Base Guitar)
Of course they played my favorite song of theirs "Shut Up and Dance with Me."
June 3, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


So my immediate answer to this month's question is sleep,
since I chose sleeping over writing my IWSG post last night.
I can no longer burn the candle at both ends night after night without cratering.
It's so frustrating!

Illya Strakhov from Odessa, Ukraine Performs on Fremont Street
 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 4, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Illya Strakhov
June 3,  2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Seriously, my life is currently crammed with the things I love most,
and I've been consistent throughout my retirement
when I've had more time to do what I choose:  writing, 
photography, traveling, working out, and spending time with Terry and our families.

If I ever stopped writing, I'd like to devote more time 
to art, in particular to drawing and painting.
I'm finally recognizing that I'm not likely to learn to play a musical instrument
or become fluent speaking in any foreign language,
but I still have hope for art.

Fish and Coral
by Louise MacBeath Barbour
1986
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue  
All Rights Reserved




Squirrel in a Hole in a Cottonwood Tree 
by Louise MacBeath Barbour
(Those bluish grayish blobs are bark ~
I have a long way to go, lol.)
August 2, 2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Wow 
by Louise MacBeath Barbour
September 17,  2021
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

I made a good start in the summer of 2021, 
but that ended when my thyroid ran amok at that time.

But I'm not going to stop writing.
It's what I love to do most.

Majesty: The Grandeur of Nature
Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 2, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

What I'm going to stop is spending so much time obsessing 
over my "household" responsibilities
and start spending more time doing what I love, including art.

A A Fremont Street Worker with a Great Attitude!
His job is sweeping up trash on the street,
but he delights visitors by providing fun and provoking happy smiles. 
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 4, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


I flew to Vegas with good intentions of working on my IWSG post,
but poor internet connections and too many fun things to do tanked that plan.


Watching My Favorite Fremont Street Band Stays in Vegas
(Sundays 5-8pm and Mondays 8-11pm)
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Talented Jeff St. German
Lead Singer and Frontman for Stays in Vegas
June 5, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

I'm home for about six weeks this time, 
and I'm determined to do less"musts" and more "wants."
And writing is my top "Want!"
Wish me luck!  
It's hard to overcome a lifetime as an ardent Type A personality. 

Terry and I Enjoying Majesty: The Grandeur of Nature
Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
June 2, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Enjoy IWSG Day.  Stay happy, healthy, and safe.



Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com




 

32 comments:

  1. 6 weeks? Wow. That is a stretch for you lol You must soon be a coming back up this way for your yearly trek.

    Yeah. Don't think I'd ever fully give it up either as a writing my mind sure wants to go. I'll have another 3 books out soon. Few edits left on one, one which is for the boys as they asked me to write a book with us in it lol is almost done, and then a picture book.

    Sure looks like you had a grand time once again. As for the musts, as long as the house isn't falling down around you, it can wait a while. Art is one thing I'll never ever be good at. I'd have better chances of learning Latin lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your latest books, Pat, especially the one with the twins in it. My next trip is Nova Scotia via Vegas. Last year's trip was such a bummer as we had to cut it short because of a health scare with Terry. But all is good now, fingers crossed. You're lucky that you grew up in a time that Latin wasn't required in Nova Scotia. I made it through two years of Latin when it was necessary. While I remember little of it, Latin left me with a great passion for Italy. Can't wait to go back ~ lol! Have a great June, my friend!

      Delete
    2. haha yeah, lucky indeed. I'm not even sure they offered it at all anywhere in the school system near here when I was in school.

      Hopefully this year isn't a bummer and Pat Hatt is only 1:30 away or so if you want to go a snapping pictures somewhere haha

      Delete
    3. I'd love to go snapping pictures your way, my friend!

      Delete
    4. Can come your way or meet wherever too. Just let me know what works and I'll hopefully have an easy work day and be done early if I'm in that day.

      Delete
  2. You were in Vegas! Heck with writing your post then.
    You are the travel bug. I want to travel more when I retire but I want longer stretches in between at home. I like my castle best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am the travel bug, Alex. I love being at home, but I have itchy feet and want to keep exploring the world. I likely won't stop till I drop permanently. I'm hoping to fill in some more spots on the world map before the year is out. I'd love to hear you play your guitar. I know you keep your personal life private, but couldn't you post a little of your playing, face hidden, of course. I honor pledges made to spouses. Have a great month, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Great photos from Las Vegas. I agree with you about art. Art is inclusive. Anyone can do it. And it brings joy to the maker, even if nobody else appreciates it. I never thought I could do art, but once I started making book covers, it became almost an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art does bring joy to the maker, Olga. I think it's awesome that making book covers really pulled you into art. When I was teaching, I incorporated a lot of art into our curriculum. I think it's good for the soul, and it was inclusive for my kiddos. I hope that you have had fun visiting around today!

      Delete
  4. This is such a vibrant city with so many entertainers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roentare! Vegas is unique. There is no other place as vibrant as it is. I hope that you are having a great week!

      Delete
  5. I second your motion to do more wonderful art, Louise, like the pieces you've shown us! And I must say that Illya Strakhov is one cheerful looking cuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Illya Strakhov is cheerful and has an amazing smile, Debra. I couldn't find out a lot about him on line, even with Google Translate to help, other than he is from Odessa. But I did find a great video of him and his young son performing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMVWxS1-DNs
      The next time I'm in Vegas, if he's there, I'm going to see if I can talk with him. I'd love to be as fit as he is, but that's not going to happen in this lifetime ~ lol!

      Delete
    2. Wow, what a video! Clearly his son is following in papa's footsteps!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos - and I love that you are spending your retirement doing things you love. The musts still take up far too much of my time (and mind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I think the "musts" take a bigger toll on my mind than my body. They're what can send me into despair and depression. I'm learning that it's rarely detrimental to take a little break. See, an old dog can learn new tricks! Have a great new week. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a blast. Glad to hear writing is still top of the list. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Writing will always top my list! It's nice to see you!

      Delete
  8. Really enjoyed the post and the awesome pictures.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! I'm so glad you're back! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  9. Getting enough sleep is important. That's so awesome that you're doing everything you love in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky, Natalie! I'm really glad that I was able to retire and to enjoy myself. And it is luck. So many unexpected and bad things have happened to people all over the world and here in our country. I never take a day for granted. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  10. What a fun time in Vegas! We need to get back there. That's where we honeymooned 32 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Diane! I hope you get to return sometime soon!

      Delete
  11. thank you for the post and for the last photo dear Louise!
    it is reliving to see you smiling and having fun time with your hubby in fun city :)
    hope you are doing fine at all levels !
    i love whatever you write because it was your writing that hold me for long and i really enjoyed your posts about your stay in faraway snowy land .i hope ad wish you will keep writing always though i am sure your art will also be remarkable like your magical words still writing is your most special gift as you said so :)
    i loved the art you shared and it seems amazing and intriguing !
    heartfelt best wishes for all you choose to do in next six weesk:)
    hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Baili! My plan is to get back to sharing posts about the North again as I continue working on my memoir. I've been avoiding Lac Seul and its impact on my life.

      I'm doing well physically, for which I'm very grateful. My trainer Julie is showing me no mercy. She is pushing me again with heavier weights and more challenging exercises.

      My plans just had an unknown thrown into them. I went to my regular ophthalmologist Dr. B. yesterday, planning on finally getting new glasses. I was especially excited about being able to get back to driving normally again. But, he told me that it is basically impossible to make a pair of glasses that will make my eyes work together right. So he's referred me to the University of Colorado Eye Center for eye surgery.

      He also told me that he doesn't have the skills necessary to continue as my ophthalmologist. Dr. B. has been my eye doctor for years, and I was so excited to finally be able to go back to him, once my Graves ophthalmologist released me to him. (She did raise the possibility of eye surgery, but I was really counting on the glasses working. 😭) He did my cataract surgery, and he's the one who figured out that I had Graves disease.

      Dr. B. told me I'll find a new doctor at UC that I'll really like and that doctor will know my history and situation and will have the skills I need. He also said that once I have the operation on my eye muscles I should be able to see very well.

      I'm not discouraged. I'm very hopeful. I just have to figure out when I can get in for the evaluation and when I can schedule the surgery. But I will not miss seeing my family. I don't care if any of my other plans have to be changed, but I will go to Nova Scotia! I'm a little freaked at doctors messing around with my eyes, but Dr. B. assured me that they will put me under for the surgery, unlike when he did my cataract surgery and I was in a weird twilight zone. So one day at a time, again ~ lol! I'll get there. I'm very fortunate to have a teaching and research hospital and eye center nearby in Aurora.

      Meanwhile I'm going to continue to do the things I love! Thank you for always being such a supportive and encouraging friend. I feel an extraordinary connection to you. Take care. Love to you and your family!

      Delete
  12. What a colorful post, Louise! Beautiful photos. Good for you to be going places and doing things. Bravo! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I do love color! And I do love traveling! I guess that shows ~ lol. All my best to you!

      Delete
  13. You are all over the place… HI, PR, NV…. Like you, I’d love to play a musical instrument or speak fluently a foreign language, but that train has left the station. Art is a good second to writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anonymous! I hope that you are Susan from The Contemplative Cat. Yes, I am all over the place. You could say that I live to travel, but then I live to do a lot of things ~ lol! It's nice to see you visit again. Take care!

      Delete
  14. Whew! That looks like an amazing trip! I've never been to Vegas but what I've heard sounds exactly like what you've shown : a lot of energy, shows, lights and people! Sounds like a blast!

    Like you, if I didn't have writing, I'd concentrate more on my other art, mostly pottery and sculpture. And also like you, I tend to obsess too much about household chores and things rather than just doing what I can and then enjoying time doing the things I love! It's something I'm working on. Balance is key!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Jen! I've been looking for balance all of my life, and I'm still looking. I used to enjoy making paper mache dinosaurs and other creations with my second and third graders. We did some sculptures too with a sawdust mixture. I think art is so important. I guess the dust bunnies are going to have to grow. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.