Friday, September 22, 2023

Happy Things!

This week I needed an attitude adjustment after hiding under the covers last week.
I really had no choice, so I got after what I unexpectedly had to do.

When I headed out to do some of those things, I had a  lovely surprise.
Lounging under the blue spruce across the street were two beautiful mule deer.
I adore the muleys' ears!  They remind me that big ears can be cute!
I took that as a sign that I was doing what I should: adjusting my attitude.

Beautiful Mule Deer
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 16, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Two weeks ago I had a routinely-scheduled mammogram.
That number that kept calling my iPhone afterwards,
the one I didn't pick up for days because I didn't recognize it, 
it was the breast care center.

I had to come back for more tests asap:  One reason for the covers over my head.
No matter how friendly the people are and how cheery the facility is,
it's hard to wait in a robe for a radiologist to examine your latest scans,
especially when cancer is rampant in your family tree. 

HealthONE Breast Care Center at Centennial Hospital
Aurora, Colorado, USA
September 14,  2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Fortunately, the news was great, and I didn't have to have a scheduled ultrasound
after the additional mammograms.  Terry and I were beyond relieved!

My other aggravation is taking way more time than one anxious afternoon,
but I should have it resolved within the next week.
Meanwhile I'm cramming as many happy thoughts as I can into my brain.

Coming Up Roses
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
September 12, 2017
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Earlier this year when I was in Maui, 
I came across a touching tribute to a feral cat named Rusty
I started donating to the National Wildlife Federation in his honor.
Its magazine National Wildlife is beautiful and hopeful.

Rusty the Cat
Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
January 18, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

This week in the magazine I read a heartwarming story about Bobbi Wilson,
a proactive 10-year-old who is making a difference in her New Jersey community. 
If you ever were a young geeky naturalist following your outdoor passions,
you will love this story.  You'll love it regardless! 
"Fourth Grader vs. Spotted Lanternfly" by Shantal Riley, Summer 23, National Wildlife.

Bobbi became concerned about an Asian invasive species,
the spotted lanternfly (Lycorma delicatula),
and she joined New Jersey's eradication campaign in 2022.
The pest arrived in Pennsylvania in 1914 and has now spread throughout the Northeast.
It eats everything, causing wilting, defoliation, low-yielding crops, and plant death.

Spotted Lanternflies on a Red Maple

The pest can look like a beautiful butterfly, but it is a planthopper,
one of thousands of insect species that get their name 
from their remarkable resemblance to vegetation in their environment 
and their ability to hop around like a grasshopper. 

Spotted Lanternfly Displaying Underwing

   
Bobbi began eliminating the spotted lanternflies
in her neighborhood with her own bug spray recipe.
Like all good scientists, she recorded her observations
and experimented to improve her spray.

Sadly, last year, the then 9-year-old, was reported to the police 
by a former New Jersey Councilman who lived across the street from her.
He was scared by a tiny, hooded Black woman spraying the sidewalks,
and a police officer quickly arrived to investigate.

Fortunately, the story has an inspiring non-racist ending.
Shortly after the neighbor's 911 call,
Bobbi's 13-year old sister and father spoke at a borough council meeting,
and Bobbi's story was picked up by the local press.

A female Black professor of Public Health at Yale University
invited the family to visit the campus.
During their visit a Yale Peabody Museum manager said
that the museum didn't have any spotted lanternflies in its collection.
He explained how to freeze and ship specimens to the museum, 
and Bobbi was soon collecting and shipping the planthoppers there.
Her donations were accepted, and the museum named its new collection after Bobbi.

Bobbi also visited Princeton University's Plasma Laboratory
and received an award from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
She was honored during Black History Month 
at the governor's mansion for her contributions to the state.
Bobbi and her sister Hayden received full scholarships to attend
the New Jersey Institute of Technology's 2023 STEM summer camp.
This remarkable young girl wants to be a chemist,
so she can try to make things that people need.

Bobbi's story raised my spirits like nothing else could!
I was that young geeky girl once (still am inside),
although my storywhich the press spread across Canada 
over sixty years ago, did not have as inspiring an ending.

Young children are amazing!  
They have the power to change their world!

I wasn't sure what to link to  Nicole's  Friday Face Offand then fortune smiled on me!

Recently I shared two Teddy Swims music videos in a post.
I've been gorging on his singing, and yesterday YouTube sent me to a new video of his.
"Til I Change Your Mind" features one of Teddy's talented band members, 
Addy Maxwell, creating a surprising work of art.

I was going to send a link to Debra, She Who Seeks
because it reminded me of the detailed art techniques she uses.
But then I thought I'd share it with everyone in today's post.
Some people like Addy are unbelievably talented in multiple areas.

Teddy Swims and Addy Maxwell


Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, I hope fortune is smiling on you!
Have a great weekend!




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! ðŸ¤ž



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

  

41 comments:

  1. The lanternflies look amazing indeed. Love your whole series. It is always a pleasure to visit this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roentare! You put a big smile on my face this morning. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. WONDERFUL news about your breast cancer scare and about Bobbi. Thank you so much for sharing both.
    I hope (fervently) that your other worry dissipates quickly. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Yes, it was wonderful news! Meanwhile, I'm back to my proactive self, even if I'm quietly grumbling inside ~ lol! One day at a time. Take care, and hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you got good news on your test results. And thanks for sharing Bobbi's story. It's so inspiring. Kids are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Bobbi's story, Natalie! The great joy for me as an elementary teacher was being in the company of young children bursting with life and curiosity. Children like Bobbi give me hope for our future. Have a happy and relaxing weekend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  4. Great news from the doctor!
    That's a cool story about Bobbi. Someone called the police? What a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! Jerk for sure! I hope you have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your mammogram ordeal had a happy ending! Good news indeed. Also, I love Bobbi's story and Addy's art video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I've watched Addy painting in the video 6 or 7 times now. It was a huge piece, and I was fascinated with how he put it all together. All that cross-hatching and line details. And he was working with materials that would make it hard to correct. Mistakes happen to me all the time ~ lol! Enjoy your weekend, my friend! xox

      Delete
  6. Wonderful news! My best friend just went for a biopsy so prayers she is cancer free, too.

    Bobbi's story is sweet. And I love the mule deer. We had them in NM, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly I will say prayers for your friend, Diane! I have one sister who has survived cancer and another who is fighting it right now, so I understand something of what your friend is going through. I didn't progress to having a biopsy, thank goodness, but one of my sisters did and it turned out being benign. I hope that happens for your friend too. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. That is great news about the results indeed. Hopefully issue number 2 will be dealt with soon and have a favorable outcome too. Kids can sure do a lot if given the chance and no wankers call the cops on them for trying to help. Great outcome for her and her family though. Talented many people can very indeed in numerous things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! I was looking at Bobbi's photos with her family, and it was obvious she had grown up with unconditional love and support from her parents. I think that is crucial. That's what I admire about you, how you love and support those beautiful nephews of yours. It will be fun to see how they grow and follow their talents and passions. You've given them the time and attention that all kids need in spades. Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  8. So glad your mammogram is ok! Lovely story on Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I hope that you are looking forward to a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely little girl Bobbi is at an amazing age of just ten years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is, Brenda! I hope you are having a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for Sharing Bobbi's story. It gives us all hope that the younger generation will find solutions to some of this world's problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gene! I feel the same as you! I find hope in the younger generation, and we have to have hope for their sake! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  11. Hurrah for good news. My friend had a bad mammogram scare earlier this summer, and we were all worried for her, and when it came out ok, we were happy. Sometimes our own bodies can sure scare us a lot, can't they? And you think you are so comfortable in them too after living in them all our lives. I hope you have a really super weekend, and I enjoyed your post. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Erika! I'm happy that things turned out well for your friend! You have an awesome weekend too!

      Delete
  12. So glad to read your mammogram biopsy produced good news.

    I read about Bobbi last year. If I recall, the police not only threw her to the ground, they did the same to her mother when she came out to defend her daughter. I had not heard the update, so this is wonderful news. Glad Bobbi got rewarded for being a brilliant young scientist.

    I keep getting a "Failed to Publish," so I just keep trying over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get those irritating "Failed to Publish" notices, too, Elizabeth! It was so bad at one point, I was copying each comment before I tried to publish it. Thanks for persisting! Just to be clear ~ I didn't have to have a biopsy ~ Thank God! After additional mammograms, I was cleared. Thanks for caring! I'm so happy that Bobbi was rewarded, especially after her unfortunate encounter with the police. Racism pops up everywhere. Her story was so inspiring that I had to share it. Have a great rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  13. I tried for over two days to leave you the comment about Bobbi, and am so glad it finally went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry this was happening to you, Elizabeth! I'm happy too!

      Delete
    2. I should have put this in my post perhaps. I volunteered at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science for about 13 years, in the Fossil Lab. So I know a lot about collections ~ lol! It's quite an honor for Bobbi, and I was really touched that they accepted her collection and named it after her! That was one awesome person at the Peabody to tell Bobbi how to collect and send specimens to them!

      Delete
  14. This story is so inspirational and I am so happy it has a good ending. shame on that former councilman, however, it did back fire on him. I truly love this store and Bobbie. Thank you so very much for sharing this fabulous story with FFO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I hope that your art sale went well today. I'll be by to check!

      Delete
  15. I remember the news story about the man who reported Bobbi to the police. I'm beyond thrilled at the way things turned out for her. I hope she lives her dream.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie! I'm sorry that I'm behind! It's been a hectic week! I hope Bobbi's dream comes true. We need to support talented and motivated kids like her. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  16. My wife got the breast cancer that wasn't technically cancer earlier this year. It was very confusing.

    Very early, non invasive.

    She didn't take it very well. Now I know more of what my mother went through with my dad.

    But she had surgery to remove it and a chemo pill

    Hopefully that will be the last of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that all goes well with your wife, Adam! Potential cancer is scary news. I know too many people trying to deal with the diagnosis. May your wife's surgery and chemo defeat it once and for all! Take care!

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you're results were positive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam! It was such a relief ~ I can't tell you!

      Delete
  18. Something tells me we haven't heard the last of Bobbi ... the young people are our last best hope and if there are more like Bobbi, well then, maybe there is hope for our future. How did you learn about this and how awesome of you to share it with us. If the Spotted Lantern Fly is so destructive here what must it be doing to the land of it's origin. Where did it come from? We have imported many destructive insects from China in the past ... is this yet another? Insects in their normal environment serve a purpose in the scheme of things so I hope that is the case for this insect ... killing them off seems like a sad thing to do, but if they are purposeful in their home land then they will survive to do what they are created to do. Lovely deep thinking post, Louise ... you always take us to a good place on your blog. Thank you for that ... and yeah that you are cancer free and sorry you had to do the mammogram, Ugh or should I say ouch! Stay well, Louise ... you are always a pleasure to hear from.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh boy, Blogger ate my comment, Andrea! I learned of Bobbi's story in the National Wildlife Federation's 2023 summer publication. It was the first publication I had received from the NWF after donating to it for the first time. Bobbi's story is inspiring, and we need to help and to support inquisitive and passionate kids like her. The spotted lanternfly is native China, Taiwan and Vietnam. It is not as destructive in these places because it has predators, including a parasitic wasp that keeps the planthopper in check. The US Department of Agriculture is considering bringing the tiny wasps to the US to counter the spotted lanternflies. However, it isn't known yet what would happen if the wasps are introduced into a new ecosystem. Would it attack our native insects as well? Meanwhile we are urged to squash spotted lanternflies if we see them. Yes, ouch! I call it the pancake squash test. Thank you for encouraging me with your kind words! Hugs to you, Andrea!

      Delete
  19. First of all, I'm so relieved your mammo re-do brought with it nothing more than increased anxiety (and that is more than enough). I've walked that before and the waiting is the worst part, I think. (Well, maybe potentially not the worst, but you know what I mean.) I hope your other anxiety eases soon. Bobbi's story is wonderful. I hadn't heard it so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. I agree the waiting is the worst part. Although one of my sisters has leukemia, and the waiting doesn't end if you have cancer. There is always something more that you're anxiously awaiting word on. We are all hopeful that she will beat this. I'm glad that you enjoyed Bobbi's story. She is an amazing young girl. Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  20. I'm glad to hear your good news on the medical front. Bobbi's story is amazing! They have recently found spotted lantern flies just a county away, so our eyes are open for them. Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! I'm sorry to hear that the spotted lanternfly is nearing your area. The pest is already costing US agriculture hundreds of millions of dollars a year. It will likely spread to Colorado as well. Invasive species are a problem all over the world. I hope all is going well with you, my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.