Thursday, January 25, 2024

Ten Below! Time to go!

We fled Colorado on January 14th.
When we left our house at 6:15 am, it was 10 below:
-10ºF or -23ºC.
Definitely time to go!

A frigid Dawn At DIA
Denver International Airport
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

Terry hates the winter cold, and I don't blame him.
Touching his hands and feet is like touching ice.
He's usually huddled under blankets or standing by the fireplace,
and he often wears fingerless gloves around the house. 
Every night I put a heated rice bag under his bed covers.
"I hate winter!" is his constant refrain.
So at ten below it was time to go!

Leaving on a Jet Plane
Denver International Airport
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Our morning flight from Denver was originating in Portland, Oregon,
but a bad snowstorm was pummeling the city,
and winter weather was canceling flights and scrambling schedules all over the US.
Terry made a midnight decision to change our flight,
and if he hadn't, we wouldn't have made it to Hawaii on the 14th.
He chose a flight originating in Dallas, Texas,
and that was the flight that made all its connections on time.
Whew!
Denver to Long Beach to Honolulu!

Prepping for a Long Flight
Long beach Airport
Long Beach, California, USA
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

The only downside was I'd be passenger 169 out of 175
boarding our full flight to Hawaii.
And Southwest has open seating.
I girded myself for a hellacious seat.

Snaking Aboard
Long beach Airport
Long Beach, California, USA
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

But luck was with us! Terry and I found two awesome seats 
at the front of the plane that everyone else had breezed by.
I slept the whole way, after being up most of the night.


The Runways at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport
Long beach Airport
Long Beach, California, USA
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


In no time we were settling into our condo at the Royal Kuhio on Waikiki.
We haven't killed each other yet in our 445 square feet of living space ~ lol!

Still Under a Blanket!
Royal Kuhio
Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 14, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Since then we've been taking it easy, enjoying the warmth and sunshine.
Terry has been playing a lot of pickleball, and I've been lazing around.
We have a heated swimming pool at the Royal Kuhio, and that has been wonderful!
Here are photos of things I've enjoyed seeing.

Beautiful Diamond Head
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 22, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Red Hawaiian Ginger
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January16, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Black-Crowned Night Heron
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 22, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Waikiki Food Hall in the Royal Hawaiian Center
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 17, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Enjoying the Afternoon at Tommy Bahamas
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Outrigger Canoeists
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Window Shopping #1
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 24, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Window Shopping #2
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 24, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Tropical Breezes
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 24, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Female Mallard
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 22, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Royal Hawaiian Center
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January17, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





A Man and His Dog Enjoying the Day
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 22, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





A Wonderful Sand Sculpture at the Sheraton Waikiki
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 24, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved







Jeremy, One of the Great Bartenders at the Hideout
Hideout at the Laylow, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
January 21 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Two Happy Faces
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





I Hate Winter!
Aurora, Colorado CO
October 12, 2023
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Have a great weekend!  🌺 Aloha!!! 🌺




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! 🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

    


50 comments:

  1. Your smiles say it all. Enjoy. As I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! I just returned from my morning walk. I'm really enjoying taking it easy! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. It must be so fun jetting around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Roentare! Traveling was and is my lifelong goal, and I am so grateful that we can do it. I am only too aware that life can end in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the perfect escape from winter! I always love your photos of the places you visit because you find such interesting shots. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! I'm always looking. Was delighted to catch the night heron stalking. I always have my camera ready. I hope that you have had a great week! Take care!

      Delete
  4. So glad you got to a warmer place. I'm with Terry -- no fan of the cold (and I do the rice bag in bed, too! And flannel sheets! And sometimes fingerless gloves.) It looks beautiful and your photos are wonderful. I'm trying to remember when I last saw such a blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanie! One of the biggest surprises for me as a kid was how blue the winter skies were when we moved north. Since then I've had a tough time with gray skies. Colorado has as much sunshine as Miami which I love. And I absolutely love the blue skies here in Hawaii. I've been ruined by living in so much sunshine. Now I get depressed if I'm under gray skies for too long. Wishing you sunshine, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the warmth, sunshine and good times in Honolulu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I'm doing my best! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. ...what a wonderful change of scenery. Enjoy your Hawaiian get away, Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha, my friend! We look forward to this trip each year, and 🤞 we can do it for a few more years (or a lot more!!!).

      Delete
  7. You live in the wrong state if you hate winter!
    Looks like you're having a great time.
    And I haven't seen a plane boarded outside like that in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex! Spring, summer, and fall are gorgeous in Colorado. 3/4 isn't bad. Actually winter is beautiful too, just too darn cold. Enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  8. I am happy that Terry and you could move to a warm place dear Louise:)
    Minus temps sound frightening to me.we had some extra cold winters in the beginning when we moved here. Even though they were extremely cold that our body got rashes as burning skin signs.we didn't have cell phones then so no idea of numbers. But could be in pre minus figures.
    Your condo is splendid and looks cozy .
    I enjoyed virtual tour. Loved you most and then birds 😍
    This is blessing that you are able to enjoy warmth and beauty of the world during cold days .
    I can relate to feeling when we move to Islam during extremely hot season thankfully.
    Keep taking good care of yourself my friend.
    Hugs and blessings upon you and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and blessings to you, dear Baili! Terry and I are both grateful that we can visit Waikiki in Hawaii again. The day will come when we can't. Meanwhile I have to count my blessings. I can't imagine the heat you have to endure sometimes. Thankfully you can go where it is cooler! Love to you, my friend!

      Delete
  9. That's great that you could leave the cold weather in Colorado. It looks like you're having a good trip. I'm grateful it's warmed up into the high 30's here and that we're supposed to have a warmer rest of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that your winter is warmer from here on out, Natalie! The older I get, the harder it is for me to be in very cold or very hot weather. I'm fortunate that I can escape. Have a lovely and warm weekend!

      Delete
  10. Sure looks like you guys are enjoying the warmth indeed. I'm with Terry as well. Hate the cold. Always have the heat cranked up here. Never knew they still boarded planes like that in North America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they still board planes like this in the US and Australia and Canada and Europe. This is why I still climb stairs ~ lol! Have a warm weekend, Pat!

      Delete
  11. Enjoy the warmth and beauty of Hawai'i. It's been a while since I was there last - I love the Big Island and we usually stay on the "rainy" side. Taking it easy sound absolutely perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carola! I love the Big Island too, although it's been quite a while since I've been there. I think it's very funny that my mother never told me until I was 25 that her mentor, Miss Jaggar, who convinced my mother that she could and should go to university, was the sister of Thomas Jaggar who founded the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. I was literally sitting in the living room with Mom reading a famous volcano book of his when she told me, "Oh, That's Miss Jaggar's brother! And me a geologist who loved volcanoes. The moment I went to the Big Island that's where I headed! I feel a strong connection to the Big Island for many reasons. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  12. I love flying Southwest, but you are right about their seating. You were very lucky. :) And Hawaii sounds like the perfect escape from that weather. And you look like you are having a good time in the warm weather too. Have fun Louise. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back at you, Erica! I have no idea how many photos I've posted of Southwest planes over the years ~ lol. Hands down it is my favorite airline. We're headed out right now for dinner with friends. I am loving every minute here. Happy weekend!

      Delete
  13. Ohhhh I so want to be there with you. That storm out of Portland hit the cost and a bit inland like a mad man. It was an ice storm that is the worst in history. There are still people without power in Eugene and Portland. It gets worse every year. I am so glad you changed your flight. It's been a long time since I have been to the Islands. You make me miss it. Have the best time ever. Thanks for joining FFO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! Thank goodness for Terry who is a weather hawk. He figured it out. I hope you have a chance to get back to the islands. They are truly wonderful. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. Good for you, Louis and Terry! Why put up with 10 below when you can go go go? Terry wouldn't want to touch my hands and feet. Ever though I live in Florida now, my extremities are still icy cold unless we're in the heat of summer.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for people like you and Terry who have to deal with icy cold hands and feet. It is no fun. And I am very grateful that we can escape to sunshine and warmth. 79º feels amazing after ten below. May you be warm and comfortable this week! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  15. We are having a mild winter in Toronto, not much snow and mild temps this week. Wonderful photos of Hawaii, we were there once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I'm glad the weather isn't slamming you in TO. It's definitely been cold for my Calgary family. I am very happy to be here! Have a good week!

      Delete
  16. What wonderful, happy holiday photos, Louis! Sure you and Terry hade fun and joy in such a beautiful, warm place as Hawaii.
    Have a happy week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sirkkis! Terry and I are loving being here! You have a good week ahead too!

      Delete
  17. I'd be nervous in or out of a frozen airport 🥶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pilots are used to it, Adam! It's more nerve-racking landing on a frozen ice in a bush plane with skies ~ lol! Have a happy week, my friend!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing and leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kokopelli! How cool that you live in Germany but feel a connection with Kokopelli! The humpbacked flute players is one of my favorite Native American deities. Have a good day!

      Delete
  19. Hawaii is definitely in your blood, enjoy! We got your cards, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do love Hawaii, Ron! We'll continue to come here in the winter as long as we can manage it. It's hard to think that I'm in that phase of life where I'd make such a statement. It was great to see you here! Take care!

      Delete
  20. Wow! lovely variety of very creative photos ~ favorite is the giraffe but all good! Glad to see you having a great time ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I have such fun taking photos. I hope that your week is going well! Hugs back at you!

      Delete
  21. What a chore it must be spending time in Hawaii in the heart of winter! lol Oh, gracious what we wouldn't give to enjoy some of that warmth. The week before last we got caught up in probably that same weather system y'all did which closed our city after dumping nearly a foot of snow in the Tennessee Valley. The temperatures were horrible, too. Thankfully that mess is behind us but it's too cool to suit me. Your husband sounds like me, I always bundled up in the winter. lol I hate the cold!! Enjoy your tropical paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! We are enjoying it! Warm tropical air is truly special. I find it healing. A foot of snow always snarls everything up. One thing I love about being retired is not having to drive after a bad snowstorm. You have my complete sympathy! Stay warm and safe!

      Delete
  22. Oh, that was definitely a good decision - swapping Colorado for Hawaii! I really like winter, but at -23 degrees Celsius I'm out too. Both of you have smiles all over your face - so nice. You brought some wonderful photos!
    Enjoy the time!
    I'm now saying goodbye for a while and starting my recently announced blog break 😘 - with a "last posting before" and warm greetings 🙋. Stay healthy - we will read again!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/01/im-zoo-mit-dem-enkel-weitere-ausfluge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will read again! Have a wonderful break!

      Delete
  23. I don't like the cold either and I've never been in -10. Looks a fabulous place to warm up, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! I've been in weather as cold as -62ºF/-52.2ºC and I hope I'm never as cold as that again. I'm grateful to be here in Hawaii. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  24. Enjoy your time away. I have had enough mornings with minus temperatures living in New York State, Michigan, and Utah. Here, we occasionally get down into the single digits, but so far have only gone negative once in the 3 1/2 years I've lived here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! I've had enough of the cold too, but I would endure it if I had a chance to go to Greenland or Antarctica! You've landed in a wonderful place! Take care!

      Delete
  25. We were in Colorado in November as we usually go there for Thanksgiving to see our daughter. It felt much warmer than last year, but still a bit nippy. Hawaii is always a place I've wanted to visit. Maybe for our 25th anniversary. Your photos of the island are gorgeous! Thanks for giving me a glimpse of something to look forward to!
    I'm so happy you stopped by the blog. My last computer crashed and I lost my master list of blogs I like to hop to, so I've started over by going through the comments on mine. It was a happy moment to see you there! Can't wait to catch back up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teresa! I'm sorry your computer crashed. It's going to be fun catching up with you too! Take care!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.