Thursday, February 15, 2024

Enter the Lions!

On February 11th, I was one of the residents and visitors
at the Royal Kuhio who enjoyed a special treat.
We celebrated the beginning of the Year of the Dragon
with the Wah Ngai Lion Dance Association. 
The lion dancers welcomed in the Chinese New Year
by performing a traditional lion dance for us in the lobby.

Enter the Lions!
at the Royal Kuhio
Honolulu, Oʻahu⁩, ⁨ ⁨Hawaiʻi⁩, ⁨United States⁩
February 11, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





The Wah Ngai Lion Dance Association
is a non-profit organization
formed in Honolulu in 2005.  
All members are volunteers made up of
students and working professionals.









I absolutely love lion dances:  the colorful prance of the lions,
the continuous beat of the drum, the loud clash of the cymbals,
and the high-pitched voice of the gong.
I was not disappointed with this up close performance! 

Drum and Cymbals
at the Royal Kuhio
February 11, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

The anticipation and excitement in the lobby built as the dancers arrived,
donned their costumes, and formed up to enter the Royal Kuhio lobby. 

The Dancers and Musicians Arrive
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



Just when the lion dance originated is not certain,
but it dates back hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
The performers of the lion dance mimic the movements of a lion.
The dancer at the front leads the lion, setting the direction, pace, and footwork.
He also controls the head, ears, and mouth movements
as well as the blinking of the lion's eyes.
The dancer in the tail must follow the steps of the head dancer
and the beat of the music while bent over.


Members of the Wah Gnai Lion Dance Association 
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved









Forming Up to Enter
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Accompany the lion dances are musicians playing the drum, cymbals, and the gong.
The drum represents the heartbeat of the lion,
and the cymbals and gong represent its thoughts.
The music is loud and intense to drive away ghosts and evil spirits.

 
Musicians
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Dancers
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Dancers
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


The lion dance is an important tradition in the Chinese community.
It brings happiness, good luck, and drives evil spirits away
on special occasions like the new year.
Chinese kung fu schools and organizations demonstrate
their strength and character through the lion dance.

Greeting the Audience
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Greeting the Audience
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved

There are two different kinds of lions in the lion dance:  southern and northern.
This dance featured southern lions.  The color of the lion is significant too.  
Red lions symbolize courage, golden lions liveliness, and green lions friendship.

Wah Gnai Lion Dance Association Members
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Selfie
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Bringing Happiness
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Bringing Happiness
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


At lion dances you may see people "feeding" the lions
with red envelopes or folded money.
These donations are supposed to bring good luck
and thank the performers doing the dance.
I couldn't resist feeding both lions.

Good luck and Thank You!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Next year I'll have the traditional red and gold envelopes which are a symbol of good luck.
I don't have any Chinese ancestors in my background,
but red has always been my favorite color.
In Chinese culture it represents with energy, happiness and good luck, so me!

Energy, Happiness and Good Luck!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





The Two Lions
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



The energy, stamina, and athleticism of the dancers is amazing,
and I don't envy the tail dancer who is bent over and nearly blind most of the time!


Lion and Front Dancer
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Lion and Front Dancer
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


At first in all the excitement, movement and music, 
I couldn't see the differences between the two lions, but different they were.


Mouth One
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Mouth Two
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Thank You for the Donation!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



As the dance wound down, the lions and others gathered for a group shot.

A Parting Shot
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




As the lions were exiting, I suddenly saw one lion biting the top of the lobby door. 
What on earth?

Biting at the Top of the Door
(and a shoe in the middle ???)
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


People familiar with the traditions of the dance knew what was happening, 
but I was perplexed.
Then I realized that the head dancer was sitting on the shoulders of the tail dancer
and that the lion was trying to bite off a cabbage suspended above the door.


A Big Stretch
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved







Biting the Cabbage
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved






Got it!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



A few moments later, after "eating" the cabbage, 
the lion started spitting it out on the floor!

Eating and Spitting
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved




Spitting
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



I learned that spitting out the cabbage represents
spreading wealth, prosperity, and good luck.


Eating and Spitting Done
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved



A member of the audience picked up a green piece of cabbage.
She told me, if I collected a piece of the green cabbage and saved it,
I would have good luck throughout the year.
I need all the luck I can get, so I picked up a nice green piece.

Then the lions were shedding their skins
and the Wah Ngai Lion Dance Association departing.
A truly magic experience was over.

Exit the Lions!
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserve



Back in our condo, I carefully wrapped the good luck cabbage piece in Saran wrap.
Then I tucked it into my purse next to my father-in-law's St. Christopher's Medal,
which I always carry because St. Christopher is the Patron Saint of Travelers.

With all this good luck surrounding me,
I'll make it back to the Royal Kuhio next year.
It is a great place to stay!


A Taste of the Magic
Lion Dance | Happy Chinese New Year 2023
Edinburgh St James Quarter





For Rain's TADD:  Theme ~ Lips: The Lips of the Lions.

For Nicoles's Friday Face Off:  The Faces of the Lions

For Tom's Aloha Friday:  
This afternoon I met a junior high school friend Kathy for lunch,
and then we visited the beautiful Lyon Arboretum at the back of the Mānoa Valley.

Kathy and Me
Lyon Arboretum
Honolulu, Oʻahu⁩, Hawai'i, USA
February 15, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Lyon Arboretum
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





Lyon Arboretum
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Lyon Arboretum is part of the University of Hawaiʻi and is a public botanical garden.

Have a great weekend!  🌺 Aloha!!! 🌺




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

  My next post will be soon! 🤞



On the Bay of Fundy
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


 

    

   

44 comments:

  1. In my younger days, my family used to dread the dragon dance coming into our home restaurants. The team crews were often existing gang members asking for bribes. Or they would not leave the restaurant that no one can do business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been scary, Roentare. The world isn't short of people who want to twist something good into something evil. I'm sorry that you experienced this!

      Delete
  2. ...over the years I've enjoyed many Lion Dances and have fed the lions lots of green. The drumming and excitement was contagious. I've been to several arboretums on Maui, but never Oahu's Lyon Arboretum. Your post warms me up on this cold, dark, snowy morning. Louise enjoy your Hawaii stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom! I'm sorry that you have a cold, dark, snowy morning! I hope that you are warm and cozy at home. I haven't seen many lion dances over the years, but I have been fortunate to see some up close. They are amazing, and I hope to see many more. It's so much fun to experience other cultures and to learn about their traditions. Aloha!

      Delete
  3. What an event to witness! Entertainment and you learned something. And clever - I wondered who cleaned up the mess of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex! Learning is one of the things I enjoy most in life. Fortunately I'll run out of time before I run out of things to learn. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. What a great post Louise. I one day want to see this dance, and your photos/video make me want to see it even more. That was a great spot to see it because it's not like you had to deal with a huge crowd and taller people standing in front of you. Hawaii is high on my bucket list-hopefully sooner rather than later. I am adding that botanical garden to my list also. It looks amazing, and I am a big fan of public gardens. Thanks for this post. It looks like you had a great day, and hope the cabbage brings you really good luck too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica! I was really lucky to see the dance up close! It's challenging to be short in tall crowds ~ lol! I hope you get to visit Hawai'i. No matter where you go in the islands, there are lovely people, beautiful scenery, and interesting things to learn. Right next to my cabbage and St. Christopher's medal in my purse is an Apple luggage tracker, so if I lose my purse I can find it. That's not going to happen again, let me tell you! Terry had fun seeing where I was when I was with my friend Kathy yesterday! What an amazing time we live in! Hugs and good luck to you!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love a good Lion Dance! I first saw one when I moved to Edmonton in the late 90s and have seen many since then. Yes, I've watched them "eat" the cabbage hanging at the front door of a business to bring prosperity to that business and spread it to the onlookers. The first time I saw that, I didn't know what the hell was going on either, lol. I've never seen onlookers feeding them red envelopes though -- but people do make an attempt to get close to the Lion if possible and touch it, because that brings good luck. I've only ever managed to touch a Lion once. The crowds are usually too big, or the Lion Dance is on a stage, so can't get near them. Your photos are fabulous! Thanks for this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! It was fun to experience and to post about. I didn't touch a lion. I was too busy trying to capture everything. I now have a much better appreciation of the lion dance. Thanks for sharing your memories! Have a great rest of the weekend.

      Delete
  6. Ohhhhh what an absolutely spectacular post. How fortunate that you were abel to attend this magnificent show/ceremony and get a piece of the cabbage. I feel so honored that you share it with FFO. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I had so much fun taking the photos. Photos are my art, as are my posts. I need a clone, because there is so much I want to do ~ lol! Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. That's awesome that you got to go to a Chinese New Year celebration. My daughter is adopted from China and our adoption support group always had a CNY celebration with a lion dance for the kids. We still celebrate but not as elaborately now that she's an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome that your daughter got to experience her culture as she was growing up, Natalie! I'll bet you were/are a great mom! Enjoy the Year of the Dragon! I'm a metal tiger. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  8. Haha well the cat side of me thinks the luck thing was just to get people to clean up the cabbage, as you know that luck and he don't coexist lol

    That would sure be neat to see. I see the difference between the two. That must take some skill, stamina and dedication though. Especially the tail. Hunched over and practically blind like you said must not be too fun.

    Hope you keep enjoying the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May warmth and spring come to you soon, Pat! Here time is racing by, but we continue to have lots of fun. I've spent some time exploring the U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii which is housed in the former Battery Randolph by Fort DeRussy. It's so cool ~ Less than a year ago I saw the best and newest of military technology, the batteries in San Juan circa 1500, and this week I saw the battery that marked the end of the use batteries from WW II. I'm a total geek, I know! In San Juan they loaded their canons with cannonballs, and in Battery Randolph they loaded their two largest canons with shells taller than I am. I hope that you are not having too much trouble on the roads with the mail. Stay as warm as you can! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Timing is everything and you certainly had perfect timing for this. That really is amazing -- glorious color, the huge costumes. That really requires a lot of skill, both in the preparation and execution. I've never seen or done anything like that and it really is quite spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie! Timing is everything. That's why I always carry my iPhone in my hand. I've given up on my little Canon ~ I can't react fast enough and I can't see at all with it. But fingers crossed, I'm still able to do photography with my phone and editing. You've probably figured out that photography is a passion of mine ~ lol! I hope you are enjoying a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. I think the tail is an underling that has to learn the ropes before being allowed to be the head. But, I agree that both positions need a great deal of strength and agility to pull off the dance .. and what a dance it is :) Not to mention the fact that the head on both lions are handsome young men ... worth watching for that alone, but I wouldn't want to miss the dance. My son and Dil are still in Thailand and they are celebrating Chinese New Year there as well. I will ask them to send pictures to see how they compare.
    And, a Hawaiian Arboretum ... how lovely and very different from our local Arboretum. That in itself is a treat. Lovely post, as always, Louise :) Enjoy, enjoy and I look forward to more pictures ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! Terry and I continue to have lots of fun! Yesterday we went to the Foster Botanical Garden just outside of Chinatown. It had some of the most amazing trees I've seen. And a bonus was that it began as gardens planted by a Nova Scotian shipbuilder and his wife. Nova Scotians get around ~ lol. I'll bet your son and his wife are having a great time! Thailand is a lovely country to visit. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  11. that was amazing dear Louise ,full of enthusiasm and delightful moments you spent there :)))
    i so enjoyed the video ,and i am happy you shared the video because it shows the moments of lions more briefly :)
    i remember when i first saw tapping dance on our small black and white tv what most enjoyable for me was harmony between dancers and i always look keenly for the harmony .
    in such lion dance i appreciate that dancers could do wonderful job even it might have been hard for them to harmonize perfectly .
    thanks for sharing about tradition ,i used to see clips of such dances in some Olympic game events as little but hardly new anything more about it .
    how lovely to meet school friend and visiting beautiful valley :)
    i look forward for such refreshing times .
    keep enjoying your stay at warm and beautiful country my friend!
    hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and blessings to you, Baili! We are fortunate and happy to be here in the warmth and tropical beauty. It's been snowing and chilly in Aurora every few days. I have to admit that I don't miss the snow! And I love being by the sparkling waves and blue and green waters. I haven't been in the ocean yet, because the water is fairly cold, and I'm spoiled ~ lol! I have a warm pool instead. I am so looking forward to having my eye operation, because I really hope to go paddle boarding again. I hope all is well with you, dear friend! xoxox

      Delete
  12. What a treat to see that in person! I have always found the dance mesmerizing. The colorful costumes are so fun! It's cold and a little snow is on the ground in Indiana today, so I got a little thrill with your Hawaiian landscape photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so not missing winter, Theresa! I hope you're staying warm and cozy. Seeing the lion dance so close was amazing. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Wow ! ~ Fascinating photos of Lion Dance event ~ and great history ~ what a fun time for you ~ and us through yoiur photos ~ thanks,


    Wishing good health, laughter and love in your days ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! I was lucky to ve so close, and being short, I can slip around for shots. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. That was really cool to read Louise. So happy you got a piece of that cabbage! Great luck ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Lucky Louise has a nice ring to it. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  15. Oooh, Louise... the ancient Chinese culture is full of amazing wonders... thanks for sharing this years' show :)
    Have a happy new week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sirkkis! Two of my favorite courses in university were on Chinese history. I took them for the pure pleasure of learning about China. Have a happy and healthy week! Hugs!

      Delete
  16. What fun. Those lions make good dragons! May you find blessings in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! It was the best fun! Have a great week!

      Delete
  17. What a glorious exhibition. I am glad that you got to enjoy it and share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gene! I was very lucky to see it! Have a happy and creative week!

      Delete
  18. I was born in 1988 so it's my year 🐉🐲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello, Mr. Earth Dragon! I think it's very cool that you are a dragon, Adam! I'm a metal tiger ~ Go figure, I'm a geologist ~ lol! Have a great year!

      Delete
  19. How exciting, what a lovely thing to see and so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! It was exciting, and I love vibrant colors. Have a great day!

      Delete
  20. Oh chinese lions- celebrating the chinese New Year I think. Thanks for sharing and have a good time....and thanks for visiting my blog
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violetta! Have a great rest of the week!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.