Tuesday, February 6, 2024

IWSG: Wednesday, February 7, 2024 ~ Turn Me On, Don't Turn Me Off!





It's the first Wednesday of the month,
the day that members of the
Insecure Writer's Support Group
share their writing struggles
and writing successes
and offer their encouragement
and support to fellow writers.






To visit the IWSG website, click here.

To become a member of the IWSG, click here.

Our wonderful co-hosts who are volunteering today,
along with IWSG Founder Alex J. Cavanaugh are Janet Alcorn

I hope you have a chance to visit today's hosts and thank them for co-hosting.
I'm sure they would appreciate a visit and an encouraging comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every month the IWSG announces a question that members can answer
with advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story in their IWSG posts.

Or, the question can inspire members
if they aren't sure what to write about on IWSG Day.

Remember the question is optional.

This month's featured question is: 
What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aloha Everyone!
I hope you have had a happy, healthy, and safe January,
and if you've been hit by nasty winter weather, I hope the worst is well behind you!
We are enjoying ourselves and escaping winter in Honolulu. 

Tropical Bliss!
It's Hard to Believe I've sailed across the Pacific Ocean
Māmala Bay⁩, ‎⁨Honolulu⁩, ⁨Hawaiʻi⁩, ⁨United States
January 22, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





So Happy to Be Here!
It's Hard to Believe I've sailed across the Pacific Ocean
Māmala Bay⁩, ‎⁨Honolulu⁩, ⁨Hawaiʻi⁩, ⁨United States
January 25, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


What turns me off when visiting an author's website?
I've visited many authors' websites over the years that I've belonged to the IWSG,
and I'm not just referring to the websites of fellow members.
I have some definite likes and dislikes.

First I like a website that is easy to access and navigate.
I can get frustrated quickly when I have trouble getting to a site,
locating what I want to know, or leaving a comment.
I know this can result from problems with a platform,
and it can result from my lack of technical knowledge.
And I'm sure that some people have been frustrated by my site over the years,
but I work hard to make my website reader friendly.
I appreciate it when other writers do so too.

If I'm visiting an author's website to see something on his or her blog, 
I like to be able to find that blog without wading through a tangle of book information
or navigating past popup boxes of newsletter or post notification offers.
I don't mind seeing images of an author's book's
or links to find out more about those books.
Rather, I want to be able to find out what I'm looking for easily.
Trust me, if I want to know more about an author's books, I will find the information.


Next, I like a website that is visually effective.
By that I mean a pleasing layout, a readable font, and interesting images or graphics.
If a site looks cluttered, disjointed, or is difficult to read, it turns me off.

I find lots of mistakes in spelling and grammar off-putting, but I can overlook some.
The internet is comprised of people all over the world, 
with different backgrounds, native languages, educations, and ages.
Language norms are in flux, and new acronyms and words are created frequently.
And who hasn't been the victim of auto-correct?
So I'm pretty forgiving to a point.

munofore.com


Next, I like interesting, accurate content, either original or sourced and acknowledged.
What I really dislike is text taken word for word from another source
and passed off as the author's own words.
I see this over and over, not just from writers, but across the blogging world.
The same text is used repeatedly and is sometimes incorrect.
I am constantly researching things in a quest for accuracy, so I see a lot.
I am amazed at how much blatant plagiarism there is.

I appreciate websites with a positive tone.
I don't mind reading about struggles or difficult situations, 
but I don't like whining repeatedly about unimportant things.
I know I've shared negative things, so I'm guilty of this,
but I do try to strike a positive tone as much as possible.


Finally, I like learning something about an author as a person,
especially authors and writers who are IWSG members.
I like to connect with people and make them feel that I hear them.
If it weren't for the connections and friendships I've made with people online, 
I would have stopped blogging years ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing how other IWSG members respond to this month's question,
because if I can learn something to improve my website, I will do it!

In My Happy Place
Barnes & Noble, Ala Moana Mall
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 6, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved





And My Guy Who Gave Up His Afternoon to Indulge Me 
Barnes & Noble, Ala Moana Mall
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
February 6, 2024
© M. Louise (MacBeath) Barbour/Fundy Blue
All Rights Reserved


Have a creative and fulfilling February!
Enjoy IWSG Day!  And a big thank you to the co-hosts!   




Till next time ~
Fundy Blue

https://selkiegrey4.blogspot.com

My next post will be on Friday, February 15th. 🤞


26 comments:

  1. Enjoy Hawaii! I agree with your list of dislikes and likes. It's really frustrating when it's hard to find where to leave a comment to a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I've probably been more frustrated by trying to find where to leave a comment than anything. Have a good time visiting around!

      Delete
  2. Lucky you, on your Honolulu vacay! The weather here in MO was brutal part of January, but February has started out nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teresa! I am lucky and very grateful to be here. I know what MO has endured and I'm glad February is treating your state better. Enjoy IWSG Day!

      Delete
  3. The negative turns me off as well.
    I think the Blogger platform makes it easier to find things. I can get lost on a Wordpress blog as they are all arranged so differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex! I'm sticking with blogger for the same reason. I like easy! Thanks for all you do for the IWSG!

      Delete
  4. precious friend Louise reading today's post made me feel little embarrassed because of flaws that my site has and the most obvious one to me can be or definitely is that is my poor vocabulary and raw writing style . i know the blogging world has been precious gift to me and for so many other with more an introvert attitude and strong will to share their heart with others, but i can imagine it can be annoying if content is not rich with decent style and proper vocabulary for those who have mastery over words and know how to write impressively .i use auto correction lot but little less than my early years of blogging. the only hope i have is that i try to share positive thoughts more because this is how i feel and this is how i am made .
    what keeps me going is amazing support form kindest blogger friends like you ,i feel so blessed and fortunate that God showed me a window to interact with others whos thoughts i myself love to read and enjoy thoroughly !
    thanks can never be enough for what you have made me feel always dear friend !
    with my tiny wit i find your blog like beautiful sharing place that inspire me and delivers a certain peace because of honesty and beauty of content i find here .
    just like you blogging gains meaning when we befriend and share our hearts and feel for each others .isn't it a true essence of humanity and higher definition of love ! a selfless love we all feel for each other ?
    this is peace to see you both enjoying your winters in warm place .loved your image with happy smile my friend! may this be always amen!
    lots of books i see before you and Terry reading in the mall :) hope it wasn't noisy environment in there .
    health ,peace and happiness to you both and to all you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wonderful and kind comment, dear Baili! You are a kindred spirit, and I'm thankful and grateful to have you as a special friend! Your blog is a beacon of positivity, kindness, and deep thoughts. One of the things I love about the "rawness" of your language is that you create fresh and striking images that compel me to see things from a new perspective. I've said many times that you are a poet, and you are, even when you write prose. I am in awe of how well you use English considering how different your native Urdu is! And I love how easy your blog is to read and navigate, and I appreciate the great pictures you share. You've shown me more about your country, culture, and people than anything else, and you share you which is the greatest gift of all. Hug and love to you and your family!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for never ending encouragement you show dear Louise. I know my blog is not perfect and I imagine to write better blog posts with accurate English and rich content I need lots of effort to put in.it can take time to improve my writing skills that can match to level of well read people like you. But I honestly don't know how long it will take.
      Thank you so much for bearing with me as I am .this means so much to me !

      Delete
  5. For a writer especially, it's too risky to steal stuff from other writers for one's own site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pop Ups are the devil's work! So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Debra! I hope you are having a great day!

      Delete
  7. Louise! Maybe one year you might head in my direction and visit Mexico??? It's warm. There's tons of beaches. What a blast we could have! And I promise, I wouldn't get you in any trouble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind, Joylene! I'm sure we would have a blast! I doubt I could drag Terry away from all his friends here, but I won't say never. I would love to meet you in person!

      Delete
  8. I can't think of the last time I saw an authors web page versus social media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why a social media presence is so important to authors, Adam! I hope you are having a great week. I've enjoyed seeing pics of Alex in your posts. Enjoy every moment you can with him and the rest of you family!

      Delete
  9. I do agree about confusing blogs. I'll try for about 10 seconds, then move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jacqui! I should try your approach instead of wasting time pulling my hair out ~ lol! Have a fun IWSG Day!

      Delete
  10. I agree. Think of the reader first and make a blog, or website, as accessible and enjoyable as possible.

    Let me also add that I'm not even a little jealous that you were in a real book store in Hawaii. Nope. I don't wish I was there with you and all the sunshine and all the books. Nope, I'm fine. No jealousy here. My tears are of pure joy, not envy. *snort* ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you that the worst thing for a blog is a confusing navigation. Have fun during your trip to Honolulu. I wish I could join you there during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your travel photos! And this is really interesting -- I should visit more author sites and blogs, though I do subscribe to a few of their newsletters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your writing tips are very good to keep

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your smiling face on your posts. As for, "sites" if there are ads that take up time getting the real info to load. I click out. I also want to get to the point of the site. That's just me. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so nice and warm there compared to this white crap. Blah lol

    Sure hit on a bunch the cat hit on too. The copy and pasters are very annoying indeed.

    Yeah. The connections are what makes blogging worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great points - I agree on all counts. You're the first IWSG-er I've visited who mentioned people who repost other people's content as their own. I've seen that too and not just on author blogs. A related problem I'm starting to see too frequently--posts that are clearly AI-generated. Lots of buzzwords, little actual meaning. C'mon, people, write your own stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.