Friday, May 31, 2013

May 2013 Scavenger Hunt: Oahu

Aloha!  Here's a tropical take on
May's scavenger hunt!

After a mean spring in Colorado,
Terry and I relaxed 
in the warmth and beauty of Oahu.

North Shore, Oahu


Thanks to Jill 
and her Made with Love blog
for setting up the hunt.


So here we go with my results!


Scavenger Hunt May 2013:  Oahu

1.  Aqua ...
Surfers follow an aqua path through the coral to ride the waves.
Sunset Beach, Oahu


2.  Four ...
A four-legged pal shares a paddle board.



3.  Patriotic ...
Flags at half mast at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki 
in honor of the Aurora victims
of the mass shooting at the Century Movie Theater
in Aurora, Colorado on July 20, 2012.
This had a profound effect on me when I saw them last July.
Having just flown in from my city of Aurora,
I was deeply moved by the care and concern of Hawaiians.
I felt the heart of America, and it was one of the most patriotic moments I have experienced in my life. 



4.  Door ...
Looking out the door of Foodland Super Market, 
Pupukea, North Shore, Oahu,
and waiting for the rain to to slacken
so we can dash to our car.



5.  Skyline ...
Wind Turbines dominate the skyline at Waimea Valley.
The low whoomp of their blades is amazing.  



6.  A Map ...




Wall art in our vacation rental 
evokes the stick charts
ancient Polynesians created 
as navigational devices.
The charts were significant 
because they mapped 
ocean swells and currents.
Islands on such a map 
were represented by shells. 




7.  Lines ...

There are always lines of people
waiting to buy shave ice at Aoki's in Haleiwa.
Sadly this old building is scheduled to be demolished,
and Aoki's will be closed on July 31, 2013.
They plan to reopen in another location.





 The lines in these hibiscus petals are delicate and lovely.



8.  Washing ...
Gentle Waves Washing the Shore of Ke Iki Beach at Sunset



9.  A Flag ...
A flag on my favorite beach in the world (so far!)
And three more.













10.  Broken ...
A surfer rides just ahead of the broken edge of a wave.
Banzai-Pipeline, North Shore, Oahu



11.  Keys ...


Terry holds the keys to our bit of Paradise.
(We actually stayed in the unit below the balcony.)



12.  Construction ...
The beach is always under construction.
Large waves move a lot of sand, 
and the beach is different every day.



Last July B-P Beach was steep and narrow.
This May it is wide and flat. 
Please note:  Terry and I are leaving and will be traveling for the next three days.  We won't have access to the internet.  As soon as I get home, I am going to look at everyone's scavenger hunt photos.  I cannot wait to see your results!  Take care!



June
Purple
60
Little
Eyes
Animal
Architectural Detail
Ring
light
Rooftops
Ice cream
A tombstone
Art

16 comments:

  1. Well, I think you had an unfair advantage with the location. I hadn't got past the first photo before I'd already said WoW! My favourites are four and washing. Map is fascinating. And your interpretation of construction is very clever. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Guilty!!! Unfair advantage!!! I agree!!! Tomorrow morning I'm going to take a paddle board lesson on Waikiki. I wish I could do as well as the dog! Take care!

      Delete
  2. I loved your interpretation of the items on the list. What a great location to scout for your scavenger pictures. I am living vicariously through you and enjoying each and every one of the photos you are putting up of your vacation. It sounds like a dream. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Peggy! We headed out in a few minutes for some sort of umbrella drinks!!! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the photos! Take care!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! That photo of the 'Gentle Waves Washing the Shore of Ke Iki Beach at Sunset' is spectacular. This is such a spectacular trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha! We have had days and days of gorgeous sunsets, but that evening was the best! Thank you for the kind words ~ take care!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for taking part in this month Scavenger hunt, looks like your having a great holiday. I really like your photos lines, 4 and aqua well they are all great. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GT! The hunt was fun! I try to do a bit every few days, and I carry my list in my purse as well as my camera. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. Take care!

      Delete
  5. Great shots indeed
    that four legged pal does not look happy on that lead haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat! I agree! That poor doggie looked a little uncomfortable. I have other shots of it, but I needed one that showed all four legs. I tried paddle boarding a Waikiki today. I had a blast! Take care!

      Delete
  6. Oh my.... what beautiful shots... and sunshine! We didn't experience too much of that on our trip! I really enjoy how you throw in some things to tickle our brains and teach us new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dreaming! I'm looking forward to catching up on your posts when I get home. Thanks for your kind words! Take care!

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos and some very clever interpretations. I love washing, breaking and construction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi LBM! Thank you for your kind comment! I was fascinated with the North Shore beaches of Oahu and never tired of watching the ocean in motion. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed looking through your photos especially the last 3, what a difference from last July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super photos and I like all the extras and information too. Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them very much.